Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dr King & AA  (Read 10204 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dr King & AA
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 04:27:50 PM »
Personally, I think the US needs to first address the thoroughly sh tty way it has treated Native Americans throughout the nation's entire history. Talk about a group of people consistently getting the short end of the stick.

I would have to agree 110% but that's another thread for another day.

Justice Thomas...not exactly the foremost authority on race relations in America.  However great quote from Douglas.  A man ahead of his time indeed.  Nevertheless, distinguish between a request to be left alone and a request to be reminded to "just get over it" when referring to enslavement dating back to 1555.  Afterall, it was accepted for nearly a century that black people count as 3/5 of a white male, as outlind in Article I of the Constitution of the United states.

I thinik King's outlook on AA would be like etruman stated.  No need to repeat.  See Etruman's post, Supra.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 04:36:18 PM »
It is not I that selectively quoted Douglass, that is the exact excerpt that is quoted by Justice Thomas.  If you take issue with the selective quoting, keep in mind that the man responsible for this selective quoting sits on the Supreme Court.

Be that as it may, I agree that Frederick Douglass's opinions cannot be gleaned from one paragraph, but rather should be extrapolated from his entire body of work.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 04:39:45 PM »
Personally, I think the US needs to first address the thoroughly sh tty way it has treated Native Americans throughout the nation's entire history. Talk about a group of people consistently getting the short end of the stick.

I would have to agree 110% but that's another thread for another day.

That's true. I just didn't want to add to the zillion other race-issue threads we've had lately.

These quotes are really interesting, though.

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 04:44:28 PM »
I never heard that he was in support of preferences for black people. I don't knowif he still would be, but if he were I would have to label him a hypocrite.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 04:45:31 PM »
I am pretty sure that the native American's did not get the short end of the stick. The entire stick was taken from them, then they were beaten with said stick.  

3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 04:48:52 PM »
I am pretty sure that the native American's did not get the short end of the stick. The entire stick was taken from them, then they were beaten with said stick.  

daaayyyuummm so true.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 04:54:31 PM »

daaayyyuummm so true.

No argument from me on that one.

Clarence Thomas is a prime example of AA gone bad.  As is typical with AA situations, its not the idea of AA that is the problem but how it is implemented by those in control.  When Bush Sr. appointed Thomas to the Supreme Court, it was an insult to the legendary work of Thurgood Marshall and a slap in the face to AA supporters because the man understands absolutley nothing about the true meaning of AA, even though he benefited from it.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »

daaayyyuummm so true.

No argument from me on that one.

Clarence Thomas is a prime example of AA gone bad.  As is typical with AA situations, its not the idea of AA that is the problem but how it is implemented by those in control.  When Bush Sr. appointed Thomas to the Supreme Court, it was an insult to the legendary work of Thurgood Marshall and a slap in the face to AA supporters because the man understands absolutley nothing about the true meaning of AA, even though he benefited from it.

Amen Sands..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 06:59:50 PM »
I'm very surprised that you guys are so anti-Clarence Thomas.  Is it solely his stance on AA that you are so strongly in disagreement with, or with his appointment as a whole (barring his AA ideologies)?

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 08:01:34 PM »

I'll be honest I understand Clarence Thomas's method to his madness. I dont have a problem with his views because thats him, we had Thurgood now we have a conservative. Bottom line is AA is far to complicated to discuss in a forum like this. the fact that people focus on AA instead of preferential treatment shows their intentions. In our society AA is just one many of these programs and probably the only one that benefits people of color. as oppossed to legacy, or others. Prime example is Veteran status. for those of us that spent time in the military, there are many forms of preferential treatment for veterans and why military service isn't mandatory in this country. Many federal jobs exams give bonus points to Vets. But people dont go around cying about that.