Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has anyone visited UCONN?  (Read 3364 times)

qtip2012

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT: 162 UGPA: 3.06
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Has anyone visited UCONN?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2005, 03:52:05 PM »
Lewis and Clark would be my first choice, I love Portland, and the school is respected and beautiful, but my family would go ape *&^% if I moved out there forever, so, I shall stay a New Englander.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=MrGrieves

Heaven: Northeastern (w/ $8500), Brooklyn, Roger Williams (w/ $20000), St. John's (w/ 12500), Hofstra (w/ $16000), Case Western (w/ $9000), American
Hell: BU
Purgatory: UConn, Cardozo

Applied: Temple

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 03:58:15 PM »
ha ha mine too!  is it just new englanders?  Most of my family can't believe we moved to Florida from Rhode Island....NO ONE moves up there.  My parents and sister live here too, in another city but still 20 minutes away.  Funny, they kind of have the same mentality here...Portland?!?!? I think it is just me...they want me to be close by I guess
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 06:11:48 PM »
I've seen pictures and heard how great the law school campus is, but what about the city of Hartford itself. I read its one of the 10 most dangerous cities in the country. Any info on the city would be appreciated.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2005, 08:49:28 AM »
I've seen pictures and heard how great the law school campus is, but what about the city of Hartford itself. I read its one of the 10 most dangerous cities in the country. Any info on the city would be appreciated.

Hartford, itself, is a dump. I can't stand it. The roads suck (one way streets everywhere, potholes, construction all the time), it is dangerous and there's nothing to do there. That said, UConn is, technically, in West Hartford, which is much, much nicer. In fact, West Hartford is quite an exclusive area in CT, and there are a lot of very expensive houses out there.

If you stay West of Hartford, it's a nice place to live. Me...well, I live East of Hartford, but far enough East that I'm not in a bad area (beyond East Hartford). East Hartford is a terrible area.

Just some thoughts...though I'm not an expert. I moved to CT about 2-1/2 years ago and don't spend much time in the Hartford area. I have been to UConn, and it is awesome.

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 08:57:47 AM »
Highway - Do you live in Manchester? We are thinking about looking there if I'm admitted into UCONN. I second your opinion of East Hartford but downtown Hartford is really not that bad. In fact, I think that it is a pretty nice little city for Connecticut. I also agree that West Hartford is a completely different neighborhood than East Hartford. I believe that UCONN Law is right off of Prospect Ave where all of the rediculous mansions are (including the governor's mansion).

I am hoping that someone will be able to get up there and either bring back some pictures or vivid descriptions. I won't be able to get up there until March so I'm hoping that someone will be able to go before me.

Of course, all of this just may be in vain. Maybe I shouldn't do so much research until I actually know that I am accepted there.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2005, 11:32:38 AM »
Highway - Do you live in Manchester? We are thinking about looking there if I'm admitted into UCONN.

I do live in Manchester. I think Manchester calls itself something like, "The city of village charm." More like the city of shopping. Manchester has two large malls and a bunch of strip malls. They also have the requisite Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Toys-R-Us, movie theatre, etc., and a ton of restaurants. I like it, but my wife thinks it is a bit crowded.

UConn is about a 25 minute drive for me. Traffic isn't generally too bad, either.

I'll admit that I haven't spent much time in downtown Hartford, but the areas I have seen have been pretty shady. West Harford is very exclusive and expensive, but if you have a chance to live there as opposed to Manchester, I'd definitely do that. I don't know much about the housing in that area.

You said, "[w]e" are thinking of looking in Manchester. Are you married?

Feel free to send me a personal message if you want to chat more about Manchester.

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2005, 11:40:23 AM »
Yup - married... I'm programmed to speak in the first person plural.  :)

PMing you now.

rcunio

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2005, 09:40:42 AM »
Red Sox, just curious about how you're ranking your schools.  I've been accepted to FSU and Northeastern and have no idea which I'd choose, or if they'll even be considered after I hear from more.  Anyway, I'm going to the FSU scholar's day on FEB 18th (flying down from Maine, partly to escape this weather).  Are you attending?  Congrats and good luck w/the rest of the process.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2005, 03:56:26 PM »
hi!

sorry, i am way ahead of myself.  Haven't even taken the LSAT yet.  I'm applying next cycle.  I think I would choose Northeastern but just because I love Boston and (kind of) miss New England.  That being said...I hear FSU accepts lots of Florida residents and the tuition is such a bargain...i think....tough choice!

May will be a godo time to come to Florida...it's not opressively hot yet :)

good luck!
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2005, 04:33:54 PM »
I'm kind of curious where you all place UCONN on your lists. I've been accepted to Wake Forest (waiting on some higher ranked schools too) but even if I do get into higher ranked schhols, it will be tough for me to choose between them and UCONN.

It's in an area of the country that I wouldn't mind working and living for some time, and after the first year, the price is great.

Of course, they could make this an easier decision and just reject me.  :)