Law School Discussion

Moving Your Stuff to Law School

manserunt

• The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Your Stuff to Law School
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2005, 11:33:01 AM »
Using USPS media rate, a 40lb box of books costs about $16 to ship, including delivery confirmation and insurance.  Just don't have any illusions about it getting there quickly - and use plenty of packing tape and very sturdy boxes.

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2005, 01:42:20 PM »
I just shipped 7 boxes, ranging from 12lbs to 50lbs, for less than $150 total via Fedex Ground. When I moved my furniture (desks, shelves, etc) from Chicago to CA, it cost me $500 total --- including one box that had to be sent 2-day. This works best if you have a car to transport everything to the fedex center, obviously. They also have a date-certain home delivery, and can hold your boxes up to 2 weeks (i think) before they need to be delivered.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2005, 11:38:10 PM »
why would you need a car on the other end?  wouldn't the boxes be delivered right to your door?   ???  (hi MC!)

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2005, 09:05:49 AM »
why would you need a car on the other end?  wouldn't the boxes be delivered right to your door?   ???  (hi MC!)

You'd only need a car one-way, since I don't think they do pick ups. Unless you have a business or something.

Hey, Pookie! Long time no "see"! How's the packing going?

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2005, 03:52:45 PM »
oh, i see!  i thought you meant a car on the receiving end (though i see now that you clearly said "to transport everything to the fedex center").  i don't know whether fedex does pickups, but i know that USPS and UPS both do.  and USPS doesn't charge extra for it, i believe.  don't know about UPS.

packing is non-existent so far, but i really don't have much to pack--just clothes.  my bigger task, which is going quite well, is making a detailed list of everything i'm going to buy, estimating the price, figuring out which stores to visit in what order once i arrive in NH and have a rented car for 3 days and my sister's assitance, and picking out actual products.  i've been inspired by the plethora of HGTV shows i added to my tivo season passes.  :)

when is your official move date?

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2005, 04:24:11 PM »
I feel your pain!!!  I only had to move 90 miles away and it sucked!

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2005, 04:53:41 PM »
oh, i see!  i thought you meant a car on the receiving end (though i see now that you clearly said "to transport everything to the fedex center").  i don't know whether fedex does pickups, but i know that USPS and UPS both do.  and USPS doesn't charge extra for it, i believe.  don't know about UPS.

packing is non-existent so far, but i really don't have much to pack--just clothes.  my bigger task, which is going quite well, is making a detailed list of everything i'm going to buy, estimating the price, figuring out which stores to visit in what order once i arrive in NH and have a rented car for 3 days and my sister's assitance, and picking out actual products.  i've been inspired by the plethora of HGTV shows i added to my tivo season passes.  :)

when is your official move date?

My official move-in date is Aug 29th, but I'll be flying around the country for most of August.

Thankfully my place is furnished, so i can push that sort of stuff for later. If you don't mind buying used stuff, you should look at craigslist. It's a student's best friend, I promise.

But aside from that, I'm trying to figure out how I managed to accumulate this much stuff over my few years of life ...!

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2005, 05:35:09 PM »
i'm too much of a germophobe to fully take advantage of craigslist, but i'll probably get my TV from there.  i'm jealous that your place is furnished, as i look at how many thousands of dollars i'll be spending in the next month.  ikea is about to be my new best friend.  :)

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2005, 07:45:27 PM »
i'm too much of a germophobe to fully take advantage of craigslist, but i'll probably get my TV from there.  i'm jealous that your place is furnished, as i look at how many thousands of dollars i'll be spending in the next month.  ikea is about to be my new best friend.  :)

Ikea is AWESOME,and surprisingly sturdy. I realized this when I was selling my 3- and 4-year old furniture. It lasts longer than you think it would!

TDPookie1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2005, 01:17:07 AM »
i've always been anti-ikea, but you can't beat the prices.  and it really is great for a student.  quality doesn't matter as much now.  i hardly expect to keep anything i can afford now in 4 years when i can afford way nicer stuff.  as long as it lasts 3-4 years and looks cute, it's good enough for me.

last year, i went to ikea to buy that $30 glass coffee table and thought it was awful because it was so wobbly.  i checked it out again last week to see whether i'd be willing to settle for my new apt, and i realized that the store model is wobbly because they don't assemble them well.  one leg was properly tightened, but the rest were loose.  so i feel a lot better about it now.  :)

since i have too much time on my hands, i've cut out the pictures of the stuff i want to buy and put together a floor plan using HGTV's room planner.  all those HGTV shows are rubbing off on me...