Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Moving Your Stuff to Law School  (Read 6548 times)

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: Moving Your Stuff to Law School
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 01:36:05 AM »
$6400 for PODS to move from the Bay Area to C'ville. No thank you!

I'll be furnishing my apartment with stuff in charlottesvillle, other than what I can bring on a plane with me. Or I could live in a furnished university apartment, but don't really like that option.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 12:35:58 PM »
I thought about getting stuff in Charlottesville, but then I thought it might be hard to find good stuff at that point in the year, when everyone is moving in and no one is moving out. And C'ville is a small place. It seems worth it to bring my crappy furniture just knowing that it will be there and I won't have to knock myself out running around to garage sales and whatnot. Plus I am getting a 2-br with my sweetie so we will be furnishing it all ourselves.
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 12:39:34 PM »
Go to http://www.moving123.com/ and you can get help estimating the quantity of your stuff and a get quotes for your move (including shipping vehicles). It was so helpful!

I'm moving an apartment, car and a motorcycle for $2,200. Not bad, considering it would cost about $2,000 to rent a UHaul, I'd have to carry it myself, and then drive 3 days from CA to TX. Not worth the "savings"!

FYI - according to movingscam.com anything on www.moving123.com is bad news/scammer.  They actually use that as a way to rule out movers.  If you google their name and www.moving123.com cmes up - avoid them like the plague.
UVa it is!

Momof2008

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2005, 05:19:50 AM »
I guess I am an "indirect" lurker.  As my son goes through the law school application process, he points out things on the discussion boards and asks me about what I think.  (Boalt grad]
I saw this and I decided to post.  When I moved from the Southwest to the East Coast, I used ABF (www.abfs.com) and will use it to move his things.  ABF is a freight company, and they  sell space in trucks that are not full to people who are moving.  Your things share space with freight--but not with anyone else using the moving service (U-Pack).  I made sure to ask about it: one U-Pack arrangement per truck so no one outside the company has access to your stuff.  The cost is based on mileage and space rented. You arrange for an 18' trailer to be dropped off and they give you several days TO PACK IT YOURSELF. THEY TOUCH NOTHING.  When it is dropped off ask about where your space ends--and measure it yourself.  I taped off my space slightly inside the line (go over your space and you pay).  If you need more time to pack, you pay a fee ($25/day when I needed more time because friends did not show up on time--homeowners association ok'd a few days but got nasty so check). They were flexible with notice.  Oh, make sure you have a good lock to lock it up at night: I packed until dark and locked it up overnight with my things.  You decide how to pack it, and you can stack boxes up to the ceiling, leave things in drawers (recommended), and just throw in bags of stuff.  Do not put heavy items on fragile, lighter objects.  ABF sells supplies for moving, and I think they provide some padding.  I was moving stuff from U-Haul storage so I just picked up my supplies there.  It is also not air conditioned (I moved in the Southwest summer--why some packing after dark). It gets hot inside and it can get dirty.   Remember: it is a freight truck, not a moving truck so use plenty of padding (I stuffed pillows, blankets, anything in the spaces so things would not move). Use the space, you pay for it.  Wrap, wrap, wrap what you value, especially glass (I had a cherry desk, entertainment center, table and curio cabint: nothing broken or scratched.  Note: they only give insurance up to $.10 per pound (very valuable stuff you may not want to travel this way.  But basic furniture, school stuff would probably work.  I shipped the stereos, computers, stuff like that USPS insured.  You put up a bulkhead, walling off your stuff (took me several tries and a lot of swearing.  But I am not a hands on person. They will check to be sure it is in place because loads they insure and move will be on the other side.  But they move nothing.  They give you a TENTATIVE delivery date because they are picking up freight to fill the rest of the truck.  I shipped a week before I left and it arrived a day after the date given but I had to pay for a day because the outside movers (no friends at this end) I hired to unload missed their date.  Oh, truck can be dirty because freight is on the other side, so bring a broom.  And rent the ramp and a dolly--the truck is high and getting stuff in without a ramp is a pain.  I am female and I could maneuver the ramp down. Go to the ABF website.  There is a complaint from 2002 on www.ripoffreport.com.  While "googling" I found that it received CIO magazine's Enterprise Value award in 2/2005.  You can read about it on CIO's website. Photograph everything: when you get the truck--inside and out, before you load it, after you load it, I photographed it when the guy got in to look at it when he picked it up, when they drop it off (ask the person to stand there to watch you take down the bulkhead.  He can't handle complaints, but he can witness apparent problems (you pack it so shifting stuff is not their problem).   Don't pack anything you absolutely can't live without on arrival.  And check to see how long the school will let it sit (the apartment complex wanted it gone within a day ---why I had it held for a fee until I could get movers).  If you know someone else going your way, can share space.  They just have to bring it over and move it into the space while you have it so it is under your contract.  Do I work for ABF?  Never have.  I work for the federal government, and no they don't pay for all moves.  This was the cheapest and easiest for me. 

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2005, 06:15:18 PM »
Go to http://www.moving123.com/ and you can get help estimating the quantity of your stuff and a get quotes for your move (including shipping vehicles). It was so helpful!

I'm moving an apartment, car and a motorcycle for $2,200. Not bad, considering it would cost about $2,000 to rent a UHaul, I'd have to carry it myself, and then drive 3 days from CA to TX. Not worth the "savings"!

FYI - according to movingscam.com anything on www.moving123.com is bad news/scammer.  They actually use that as a way to rule out movers.  If you google their name and www.moving123.com cmes up - avoid them like the plague.

I got hooked up with Patriot Movers through Moving123.com and checked them out on MovingScam and the better business bureau, they look fine. As far as I know, all affordable moving companies have had some sort of bad incident in the past. All you need is 2 to be considered a scam and to get an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB. Pretty easy when you have thousands of customers. I asked for references and I actually called them, yes, they could have been fake too, but I still feel pretty good about my move. If all else fails, I 've purchased additional moving insurance and paid with a credit card so I should be able to recoup the loss.

Basically, who ever you choose, make sure YOU feel comfortable, that you pay with credit card, that you know your rights, and that you insure your items for both theft and damage. It's worth it.

michael23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 12:50:44 AM »
**Bump**

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 06:34:36 AM »
My sister just moved from Tucson to NYC last month, and after extensive number crunching she found that it was cheaper (and easier) to ship any "packable" stuff and buy new furniture on the other end.  Of course this depends on how nice your current furniture is; hers was all cheap discount furniture store mixed with a few DIY Wal-Mart items.

Muppet

• "And we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 12:17:47 AM »
Thanks for all the input on this thread.  I've thought long and hard about all the options and have arrived at Penske as the solution to my moving problem.  Slightly more expensive than their competitors, yet markedly better in reviews at www.epinions.com.  I'm leaving CT on July 28 in a 16' rental van with my car in tow, dropping off the car in St. Louis (where my fiancee lives), continuing to California, dropping off Penske in Palo Alto, flying back to St. Louis, getting married there, driving my car with the wife to California (while her parents drive her car), going on honeymoon, returning just in time for 1L orientation.

Q.E.D.!
Stanford '08.  Fo' shizzle.

The Truth

• Sr. Citizen
  • Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 12:43:10 AM »
My former corporation paid for my entire move including cars and some temp housing and temp storage as I transferred into the area where I thought I would most likely go at the beginning of the year with a job.

Oh what a way to travel :), on another's dime. I should say that orginally I was planning to defer for a year or two possibly, but had to get out of there once I arrived. Oh well, and I didn't have to pay anything back, which is always a good thing.
The One, The Only, The Truth...
Attending: PENN$$$
W/D after Acc.(had next, LOL): NYU$$$,CLS$,CHI$$,GTown$$$,Duke$$,TX$$,NU(loans),Cornell?
WL'ed & then W/D: HLS(after hold), SLS
Rej: NONE
The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing but The Truth
Don't Hate Me, Because You Ain't Me (J/K, LOL)

gusrip98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 09:59:44 AM »
Thanks for all the input on this thread.  I've thought long and hard about all the options and have arrived at Penske as the solution to my moving problem.  Slightly more expensive than their competitors, yet markedly better in reviews at www.epinions.com.  I'm leaving CT on July 28 in a 16' rental van with my car in tow, dropping off the car in St. Louis (where my fiancee lives), continuing to California, dropping off Penske in Palo Alto, flying back to St. Louis, getting married there, driving my car with the wife to California (while her parents drive her car), going on honeymoon, returning just in time for 1L orientation.

Q.E.D.!

This sounds familiar to my logistical nightmare...lol.  I really liked my Penkse truck.  They offer a AAA discount.  I was already a member, but it would be worth the fee for one year considering the amount of the discount.  Also, beware....they didn't have the 20 foot truck I reserved, so they gave me a 26 foot truck for the same price.  Wasn't a big deal in the end, but that was a huge monster to drive.
"Never stole a horse from someone I didn't like"