Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Moving Your Stuff to Law School  (Read 6576 times)

Muppet

• "And we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Moving Your Stuff to Law School
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 04:20:17 PM »
Yeah, the garage sale idea is sounding better all the time.  I tried the PODS thing online, and it told me that they hadn't moved into my area yet (which was suprising, because I live in a fairly populous area of SW Connecticut).  Selling some stuff and then getting a smaller U-Haul is looking like the best option right now (thanks, twarga).  The key is getting one that isn't too old to get over the Rockies.

The reason I'm hesitant to call some movers is because scheduling precision is an issue.  With all the things going on for me in Aug, I wouldn't be at ease with the idea of allowing a moving company to set up a window for delivering the goods.  What if they're late (as they very plausibly could be, driving all the way from CT and making other stops along the way)?  Do I miss the movers so I can go on my honeymoon???

U-Haul deathtrap, here I come.   :-[
Stanford '08.  Fo' shizzle.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 04:58:16 PM »
That PODS service is rather expensive for longer moves.  To move from CA to PA it would cost over $5,400!  A U-Haul truck would be less than $2,800 for a truck + car tow, and then you'd just need to factor in gas expenses.

I'd read the fine print if I were you.  UHaul generally charges you 89 cents per mile you put on the truck, in addition to whatever they're charging you for the rental.  So you have the one way fee added on, plus nearly a dollar per mile you drive.  Renting a Uhaul just to move from Boston to Atlanta would be ridiculously expensive.

You'd be better off selling everything you can, shipping some stuff, and for the rest, rig your car so it can pull a small trailer, and rent one of those small little Uhaul trailers.

At this point, my bf and I are looking into options.  We'd like to be able to just ship everything we need to take (I have inherited bedroom furniture I'm not willing to part with).  We also have the option of purchasing a Uhaul type truck (my dad in NY has a dealers license for auto auctions, and can buy one for about $2000), me fly to Buffalo, drive the thing on a transit registration to Boston, load it up, and drive it down where ever, selling it when we get there.

Although the logistics of that kind of sucks, we'd at least make a little of our money back at the end.

NYKnicks

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 05:14:24 PM »
ARe you sure you want to drive one of those Uhaul's? I drove one just to move stuff to my new house this past week and it was terrible. I mean the thing was rickety, was horrible and I kept feeling like I'd accidentally run over somebody...or intentionally do it just because I was in a big truck...

yrbadluck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 05:58:25 PM »
i know the window for movers is a pain but its so much easier if you can go possibly 10 days either side without anything. a friend of mine moved from atl to seattle last summer and most movers cost 100-200$ more than a uhaul, and that is with the expectation of no problems driving across the country.  its worth it especially if your moving into an apt. above the ground floor (ny, sf, or la) because movers will haul your crap upstairs for you. 
In: brooklyn$, cardozo$$, depaul$, temple, usf$$, goldengate$$, tjsl$$, southwestern
out (donations): ucla, nyu
waiting: loyola +2

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 07:10:48 PM »
http://www.upack.com - like pods, but i think less expensive. i know people who've used them and recommend them highly. i think it costs less because they only charge you for what you use, and then fill up the space and ship other stuff in the same trailer.

uhaul sucks, but i've had better results from other companies. when i moved from MN to NYC, i rented from penske; 15' truck and a car towing thing. it was under $700. the big problem with uhaul is that their reservations aren't guaranteed. if you show up on moving day and they don't have a truck ready, you're SOL.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 06:33:59 PM »
A lot of people use Door to Door in DC.  I think it's a lot like a Pod, but I'm not sure if it's everywhere yet.  Good Luck with the move, I don't want to even think about moving all the stuff I've accumulated in 4 years...hmm that might be reason enough for me to stay at GW

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 01:19:20 PM »
bump
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2005, 02:30:56 PM »
What about shipping individual pieces of furniture as bulk or freight?  What companies might do this?

I was going to use a moving service for a 1BR apt worth of things, but the more I think about it, there are only a few things I have a sentimental attachment to.  Basically, my bed's headboard/footboard and a metal folding dressing screen, all of which I can definitely wait several weeks for after I move.  I can probably pack up all other valuables into my car and buy the rest of the furniture from Craigs List wherever I end up.

Tip:  1-800-Mattress is great for a nice, inexpensive bed with full delivery/set-up service.
Fed gov't atty

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2005, 07:08:03 PM »
Because I'm going for an early class in July, I can bring just what I need for a month.  If I'm already in my apartment, I can begin to accumulate furniture.  If I can't furnish it yet, I can begin to price furniture in the area.  Then I can bring down some of the little clutter and clothes I don't need until winter when I come back for the real beginning of the fall semester.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 01:09:38 AM »
Go to http://www.moving123.com/ and you can get help estimating the quantity of your stuff and a get quotes for your move (including shipping vehicles). It was so helpful!

I'm moving an apartment, car and a motorcycle for $2,200. Not bad, considering it would cost about $2,000 to rent a UHaul, I'd have to carry it myself, and then drive 3 days from CA to TX. Not worth the "savings"!