Law School Discussion

Moving Your Stuff to Law School

Re: Moving Your Stuff to Law School
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 09:53:30 AM »
I'm going through this process now and my opinion is:

Use Budget truck or anybody else before U-Haul.  I booked a Budget truck and flatbed car carrier with unlimited mileage for less than U-Haul was quoting.  Plus they have a newer fleet of trucks and they are actually there when you go to pick them up.

United van lines was pretty reasonable for a full service move.

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 12:25:07 PM »
From Chicago to LA...1989 Blue Toyota Camry with a uhaul trailer carrying couch, matress, tv, etc.  Hopefully I can stuff everything in there that I need.

My options were
1) Ship stuff, fly, buy car there.
2) Rent truck, tow car.
3) Ship stuff, drive car.
4) Drive car, buy new stuff.
5) Drive car, tow stuff.  -- Much cheaper.

Muppet

• "And we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 08:18:26 PM »
Yeah, I already got the AAA discount, which ended up being pretty sweet.

BTW, I just spent all evening booking hotel rooms at all the seedy motels along the way.  Had to call ahead just to make sure they could accommodate a moving truck in their parking lots!

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2005, 12:52:34 AM »
I went to emove.com and got some packing and unpacking help.  (they do have full movers though) Then I'm just going to drive a uhaul down to Miami.  I've sold a bunch of stuff in a garage sale and some stuff I'm keeping at my parents house to see if I really need it. 

Muppet

• "And we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2005, 05:13:55 AM »
Beware of U-Haul.

manserunt

• The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2005, 09:06:59 AM »
I am currently in the midst of my SECOND cross-country move (first was Boston to LA 3 years ago, now it's LA to NYC).

Here's a trick that I've learned: ship all books, CDs, DVDs via USPS media rate - super cheap.  But for everything else that you can put in a box and send (definitely better than hiring a mover if you can) - FedEx Ground is usually cheapest.

Intuition

• We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2005, 09:59:44 AM »
Pack my car, get rid of anything that doesn't fit. I love throwing things away.

naomi288

• soon to be St John's 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2005, 11:58:18 AM »
i'm only moving an hour away, but budget teuck rental is cheaper than uhaul, HTH

kristay

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2005, 11:39:36 PM »
I am currently in the midst of my SECOND cross-country move (first was Boston to LA 3 years ago, now it's LA to NYC).

Here's a trick that I've learned: ship all books, CDs, DVDs via USPS media rate - super cheap.  But for everything else that you can put in a box and send (definitely better than hiring a mover if you can) - FedEx Ground is usually cheapest.

I wonder how much it costs to ship books.  I am determined that one way or another my books are coming with me.

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2005, 12:58:06 PM »
I'm using U-Pack from Los Angeles to Madison, and it's about $1,100.  Factor in the one-day U-haul rentals in each city (to get the stuff to and from the U-Pack terminal) and it's about $1,300 for the whole thing.

Considering U-Haul quoted me $2,300 for the cross-country trip... not counting gas... it's a pretty solid deal.