Law School Discussion

Moving Your Stuff to Law School

Muppet

• "And we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Moving Your Stuff to Law School
« on: January 17, 2005, 10:38:32 AM »
I'm starting this thread because the realization of having to actually move to LS is beginning to hit me.  I live in CT and will most certainly be moving myself, two cars, and an apartment full of stuff to CA.  Yikes.  Am I to be condemned to a week inside a rusty, ready-to-explode U-Haul?  Oh, and I should also mention that I have to plan all this around my own wedding and honeymoon.  August is going to be utter chaos.

If it's not too premature to ask, has anyone thought of how they will be orchestrating their move?

twarga

Re: Moving Your Stuff to Law School
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 10:50:17 AM »
You are condemned, my friend.  However, look on the bright side.  It's a good opportunity to have a big garage sale and get rid of all your clutter.  With the $$ from the sale, and the $$ saved from subsequently getting a smaller U Haul, you can celebrate in CA in a beachfront restaurant with a good bottle of wine.

the REAL desi

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 10:52:58 AM »
try shipping whatever you can.  take a full-car load.  sell the rest and buy new sh!t when you get there.

that's what I did.  then again, i only moved 4 hours away.

whatfoster

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 11:03:45 AM »
if you can, use the PODS company.
they basically drop off a storage container at your house--for size, think of a decent uhaul--let you fill it up as slowly as you want, and then pick it up and get it shipped freight to wherever you're headed.  they also have warehouses all over the country, so if you want to ship it out ahead of time, and then move it from the warehouse to your new pad at some later date, you're fine.
this also means that you can fly east coast to west coast.  that beats the hell out of driving.
uhaul is not cheap--to drive one back from pittsburgh to philadelphia, with a very reasonable amount of clutter, it cost me the better part of $500.  i shouldn't have to say so, but driving those trucks is MISERABLE.  i would use PODS if i were to do it again.
i believe that the website is www.podsusa.com
HTH
Graham

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 11:24:39 AM »
The cost of a cross-country move via U-Haul probably isn't much less than just paying a moving company.

kristay

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 11:31:35 AM »
Thanks for the PODS advice, whatfoster....I'd never heard of that company.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 11:34:32 AM »
PODS sounds cool.  i might use them.  if i can, though, i'd like to get a furnished apt.  then i'll ship my clothes and other miscellaneous items, buy new stuff at school (or buy stuff online and have it shipped to the new place).  if my place is unfurnished, i'll probably sell all but my bed and repurchase there.

maricutie

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 12:53:23 PM »
I'm going to be travelling from Chicago to CA, and will hopefully just get a furnished dorm room. I'm not willing to deal with the hassle of shipping anything or the cost (around $2000) of a Uhaul truck. Selling my bed, table, bookshelf, etc., and shipping via Fedex ground anything I can't take with me on the plane.

H/w, if you have too much stuff, consider splitting a uhaul truck with someone going the same distance. There's a link on the uhaul page, I think labelled under 'students,' that has a list of people willing to share the cost for a similair trip.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 12:57:05 PM »
PODS costs mucho dinero

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 01:09:45 PM »
That PODS service is rather expensive for longer moves.  To move from CA to PA it would cost over $5,400!  A U-Haul truck would be less than $2,800 for a truck + car tow, and then you'd just need to factor in gas expenses.

Now, I just thought of an option that would make PODS a good option.  If you and a few friends were doing the same move, you could all split a PODS shipment.  That would be a great deal.

I've had a few long-distance moves over the past few years and I've learned that it is best to sell just about everything that you have and just buy new stuff, or move into a furnished apartment.  Keep your sentimentals, of course, but ditch the desk, couch, etc.

Also, mailing costs can get pretty expensive, so if you plan to use this option then be sure to plan it WAY ahead of time so that you can just choose the slowest (and cheapest) mailing option.  The USPS is surprisingly cheap for slower shipments, but the size constraints may lead you to go with FedEX, UPS, or DHL.