Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you are white and you go for a job interview where there is a black candidate who is much better qualified than you but you get the job would you turn it down?

Yes
 15 (10.2%)
No
 132 (89.8%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Racist Whites  (Read 14212 times)

Donkey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the beef?
    • View Profile
Re: Racist Whites
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2005, 02:51:17 PM »
How about we make the admissions process race blind. If someone wants to claim that an economic disadvantage, let him and then allow the adcomm to decide if it is worthy. This way diversity, if this is the actual goal, can be accomplished through personal merit, not skin color.
Hippies suck.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2005, 04:28:11 PM »
How about we make the admissions process race blind. If someone wants to claim that an economic disadvantage, let him and then allow the adcomm to decide if it is worthy. This way diversity, if this is the actual goal, can be accomplished through personal merit, not skin color.

i'm sorry, this is an unacceptable suggestion.  it addresses all the significant issues that people disadvantaged by their socioeconomic backgrounds face in a more simple, more fair, and less politicized way than the current system.  no major organization or institution can take that seriously. 

Stacey Koon

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2005, 04:31:46 PM »

That is an excellent suggestion. Ufortunately, those who are unable to succeed on their own merits will condemn the idea.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2005, 04:40:52 PM »

That is an excellent suggestion. Ufortunately, those who are unable to succeed on their own merits will condemn the idea.

This would follow if we assumed that correcting economic disadvantage was the the only basis for A.A.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2005, 04:44:25 PM »

This would follow if we assumed that correcting economic disadvantage was the the only basis for A.A.

i hear that.  that's why i wrote socioeconomic disadvantage...that work for u?

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2005, 04:52:34 PM »

i hear that.  that's why i wrote socioeconomic disadvantage...that work for u?

I hear that, that's why I was not responding to you! I quoted the post that I was referring to...that work for u?
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2005, 04:54:26 PM »
ha, yes, that works for me.  so that means you agree with what i wrote?

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2005, 05:03:57 PM »

i'm sorry, this is an unacceptable suggestion. it addresses all the significant issues that people disadvantaged by their socioeconomic backgrounds face in a more simple, more fair, and less politicized way than the current system. no major organization or institution can take that seriously.

This would follow if we assumed that race was not a significant issue faced by people disadvantaged by their socioeconomic backgrounds i.e race plays absolutely no part in any disadvantage faced.

So the short answer to your question on if I agree, is "NO".
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2005, 05:14:17 PM »

i'm sorry, this is an unacceptable suggestion.  it addresses all the significant issues that people disadvantaged by their socioeconomic backgrounds face in a more simple, more fair, and less politicized way than the current system.  no major organization or institution can take that seriously. 

Because the only way URM students are disadvantaged is economics?  Family income is a huge issue, but it's far from the whole of the disadvantage encountered by minorities.  Biases by teachers and classmates (both in terms of academic expectations and social acceptance) can make a huge difference in education and in the way that education shows up on a transcript or in a testing room.

Is it possible that being the only non white face in a room changes how relaxed you feel about taking a test?  Is it possible teachers will give a student a lower grade if they feel a little uncomfortable around them, or if the student's dialect is different from their own, or if they don't draw from the same kind of experiences the teacher has?  No, of course not, because obviously the US is a perfect, racially harmonious, and colorblind society.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2005, 05:16:05 PM »

This would follow if we assumed that race was not a significant issue faced by people disadvantaged by their socioeconomic backgrounds i.e race plays absolutely no part in any disadvantage faced.

So the short answer to your question on if I agree, is "NO".

i dont understand that at all.  if race played a factor in an individual's disadvantaged socioeconomic background then it would be included in the consideration of that candidate as a subcategory.  if it played no role, then it would be ignored.  in other words someone who currently gets a urm boost, but has grown up financially secure, in a solid family, and faced minimal difficulties, wouldnt get a huge boost, while someone who had severe financial and social difficulties, but currently doesnt count as a urm, would get a significant boost.  i'm sure you've heard this before, but i dont see what the problem is.  when race is a relevant and significant factor it is accounted for, when it is not, then it is discarded.  what's wrong with that?