Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you are white and you go for a job interview where there is a black candidate who is much better qualified than you but you get the job would you turn it down?

Yes
 15 (10.2%)
No
 132 (89.8%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Racist Whites  (Read 13687 times)

triumph82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Racist Whites
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2005, 02:48:24 PM »
As a white person, I don't feel individually guilty, but I do acknowledge that there is a larger social network that, whether I like it or not, I have always benefitted from.
161, 2.99.

PresClay_00

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2005, 02:51:12 PM »
but don't you think that blacks are much more loyal to one another than any group of whites?  that would make a very tight network to draw from

triumph82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2005, 03:12:03 PM »
No matter how tight knit, I think the black network is at the mercy of, and incorporated within, the larger white network. I don't think affirmative action makes up for the disadvantage. That's why I think its funny when someone who is white claims that AA is unfair to them.
161, 2.99.

PresClay_00

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2005, 10:51:17 AM »
maybe so, but the reason most whites say that AA is unfair is b/c a network is not a govt instituted policy that results in partiality.  a person may have connections, but someone within the network doesn't have to honor connections, as compared to someone using AA in hiring/admitting does have to follow it

KODIAK

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2005, 06:51:40 PM »
Yeah, I mean I'm white, so pretty much all day long I sit around feeling guilty for benefitting from my race.  And after I pay back $100K in loans for post-secondary education and work my ass off to provide for myself and my family, I'm still going to sit around feeling guilty.
Give me a break.  No one alive today owned slaves.  No one alive today was a slave.  Quit pissing and moaning about racism b/c what's done is done.  Get educated, get a job, and get over it!

PresClay_00

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2005, 06:55:20 PM »
just delete your posting and it won't show up anymore

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2005, 08:01:36 AM »
Yeah, I mean I'm white, so pretty much all day long I sit around feeling guilty for benefitting from my race. And after I pay back $100K in loans for post-secondary education and work my ass off to provide for myself and my family, I'm still going to sit around feeling guilty.
Give me a break. No one alive today owned slaves. No one alive today was a slave. Quit pissing and moaning about racism b/c what's done is done. Get educated, get a job, and get over it!

but you miss point:  racism not done.  certainly, one who sees that still must carry on--but not be surprised if they want to spoil your little party by trying to call attention to racism.  you get over it!

KODIAK

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 08:09:57 AM »
There are many things that make life unfair.  A buddy of mine got into Princeton and then got hooked up with a sweet job just b/c his dad is some hotshot alum.  Not fair, but I don't really lose sleep over it.  People oughta just do the best they can.  If you're fighting an uphill battle, fight it hard, don't just give up and complain.  There's really no way to remedy the situation entirely without disenfranchising another group. 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 08:35:32 AM »
feel free to ignore injustice.  and feel free to ignore those who don't.  so why you posting here?

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 10:22:53 AM »
1. School admissions are non solely a numbers game. Lots of white kids get in with low numbers for a variety of reasons from disadvantaged backgrounds to excellent connections.

2. Schools like things that let them compare people easily. Take the LSAT for instance. No one really believes that every kid who gets a 170 is going to be an amazing law student and every one who gets a 140 is going to fail. However it is more likely that the 170 is going to succeed then the 140. Unfortunately in our society it is still more likely that a black kid is going to have a tougher time then a white kid. So a school can reasonably assume that on average the white kid had better schools, more money, a more stable family, and better role models. In order to even this out they give a few more points to the black kid.

3. Diversity is an important value for most schools. They believe that it is important that their student body have people of varying racial ethnic and educational backgrounds.