Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you are white and you go for a job interview where there is a black candidate who is much better qualified than you but you get the job would you turn it down?

Yes
 15 (10.2%)
No
 132 (89.8%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Racist Whites  (Read 14731 times)

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Racist Whites
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005, 06:49:38 PM »
I have to agree that at some companies AA is used in some form.  While you can't state your ethnicity on a resume, employers can target a degree of their recruiting toward minority candidates by recruiting in places such as minority clubs or historically black colleges.

NinMN19XX

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2005, 10:38:32 PM »

i'm not sure what my thoughts about AA in general are, but one important thing in this case (law school admissions), most judges in the U.S. are old white guys.  who could get into and pay for law school ages ago?  kids from rich white families.  the people judging/condemning/administrating justice in U.S. are not representative of the standard u.s. citizen.  most of us are poor and trying to work hard.  i think we need more diverse and compassionate judges.  you need a j.d. to become a judge.  i think AA and federal loans and such are good in law. 

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2005, 10:57:30 PM »

i'm not sure what my thoughts about AA in general are, but one important thing in this case (law school admissions), most judges in the U.S. are old white guys.  who could get into and pay for law school ages ago?  kids from rich white families.  the people judging/condemning/administrating justice in U.S. are not representative of the standard u.s. citizen.  most of us are poor and trying to work hard.  i think we need more diverse and compassionate judges.  you need a j.d. to become a judge.  i think AA and federal loans and such are good in law. 

according to the "most judges in the U.S. are old white guys" theory then AA should include asians, jews, various groups of immigrants and a litany of other minorities.

BadAssOne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 01:01:44 PM »
See this is a trick question!  No black candidate could ever be better qualified than a white one!

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 01:26:26 PM »
It seems that BadAss just joined the LSD list to talk sh!t.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Alamss

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 05:20:43 PM »
I am not white or black, and if I were offered a job, I could care less that some other more qualified person was denied that job and I received it, be they white, black, asian, or hispanic. I got it and I am keeping it, and I think this would be standard practise for almost any sensible person.

I don't agree with the AA program, but, if you got an advantage above others more qualified than you, then thats great, I would not expect you to give it to a more 'qualified' person. If you did that I would think you are would dumbass. 

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2005, 02:06:30 PM »
I do not agree with the idea that individuals of a certain race or gender should be given preferential treatment solely on the basis that they fit into a "category". I think that if you've had to overcome something significant in your life, then you should be given some preferential treatment.
Let's look at two different people: a black teenager born into wealth and a white person living in a trailer park. The black person went to the best schools, had everything he ever wanted, and the most that person had to deal with in terms of racism is occasionally hearing someone crack a racist joke at school. Should this person be given a helping hand by an admissions board?
What about the white kid who grew up in the trailer park? This person had no money and went to one of the worst public schools in the area. Should he not qualify for some sort of assistance from an admissions board?
To me, there's more to diversity than just skin color. If you're black, hispanic, asian, or white and you've had to struggle to make it, you deserve a helping hand. I'm half-jewish...my ancestors have overcome hardships, but I choose not to make that a focal point of my application. Doing that is like saying "I can't impress these people with what I've done academically, so I'll have them focus on something else that they can't ignore".

PresClay_00

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2005, 02:12:21 PM »
i'm not reading the whole damn thread, but if you're black and seriously underqualified but get the job/slot in LS b/c of AA, are you going to turn it down?

triumph82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2005, 02:27:53 PM »
People who are white receive a form of affirmative action that is so much deeper than the affirmative action that we hear about on the surface. For such a company, another white person would be offered the job anyway. However, I think this post is more about the double standard.
161, 2.99.

PresClay_00

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2005, 02:43:06 PM »
you mean b/c whites are the majority?  what is this "much deeper form of AA that i've never heard of or experienced?