Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you are white and you go for a job interview where there is a black candidate who is much better qualified than you but you get the job would you turn it down?

Yes
 15 (10.2%)
No
 132 (89.8%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Racist Whites  (Read 14133 times)

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
Re: Racist Whites
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2005, 10:35:34 AM »
Looks like white people are going crazy as it gets down to the wire. I reckon more and more of these boards will pop up this year. Hey, what are you guys doing to remember my Morehouse brother, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?

He said: "I have a dream....that one day, white folk will shut the #@!* up about getting into law school, and realize that they have all the advantages that anyone could possibly have in a white man's world. I have a dream.....that one day, black people will stop giving a #@!* about what white people think, and continue to move forward with our goals of going to law school. One day, we can all sing that old negro spiritual....I'm in law school B*tch! Admitted at last! Admitted at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm admitted at last!"     

The most classic classic ever!
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2005, 10:41:03 AM »
that redundant redundant.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2005, 11:18:17 AM »
that redundant redundant.

This is true and correct.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

triumph82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2005, 04:20:50 PM »
Gov't instituted policies of the past greatly contributed to the social networks today.

maybe so, but the reason most whites say that AA is unfair is b/c a network is not a govt instituted policy that results in partiality.  a person may have connections, but someone within the network doesn't have to honor connections, as compared to someone using AA in hiring/admitting does have to follow it
161, 2.99.

PresClay_00

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2005, 04:52:19 PM »
yeah, which is why i want into columbia.  i'm not a 5th ave socialite

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2005, 06:53:59 PM »
what your avenue then?

PresClay_00

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2005, 07:44:02 PM »
depends on the night

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2005, 10:57:54 AM »
Unfortunately in our society it is still more likely that a black kid is going to have a tougher time then a white kid. So a school can reasonably assume that on average the white kid had better schools, more money, a more stable family, and better role models. In order to even this out they give a few more points to the black kid.

That's the problem with AA to begin with...it just masks the greater problem. Rather than trying to fix the educational system, the government gives a "pass" to people of a different race as a way to placate them. AA basically says "ok so things suck for you, but instead of making it better, we're just going to help the minorities lucky enough to go to college/grad school by giving them a couple of points on their application" And rather than questioning why whites have better educational opportunities (on the whole) than minorities, people of different races buy into this whole idea by checking off that box on their application.
Also in the grand scheme of things, AA benefits WHITE women over any other group when it comes to employment. Go figure. I'm all about diversity in school and in the work place. My high school was in the range of 40-50% black/hispanic. I watched a black kid that I knew very well, who grew up VERY wealthy, who had mediocre grades get into Duke. Most of the other black kids in my high school went to county college b/c they couldn't afford the cost of a 4 year college. Where's the justice in that?

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2005, 11:12:36 AM »

3. Diversity is an important value for most schools. They believe that it is important that their student body have people of varying racial ethnic and educational backgrounds.

The problem is many schools take a superficial view of "diversity" -- it's as if they think giving URMs from middle/upper middle class suburbs an edge in the admissions process fulfills that goal (which I think is a worthwhile one, by the way). It doesn't. Diversity of skin color /= diversity of thought or background.

I'm all for giving people from disadvantaged backgrounds a helping hand. The trouble is AA doesn't help those folks or even reach out to them (URM or otherwise). I think most schools value the process more than the end result of that process.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2005, 12:30:28 PM »
I think the way that diversity should be encouraged in colleges isnt to make it easier to get into schools for upper/middle class minorities, but to make college/grad school free for those who would have a tough time covering the costs of a 4 year college. You'd see less minorities in county college and more enrolled in good schools. Putting a rich, mediocre black student into an ivy league school is meaningless if 10 other black kids are forced to attend county.