Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you are white and you go for a job interview where there is a black candidate who is much better qualified than you but you get the job would you turn it down?

Yes
 15 (10.2%)
No
 132 (89.8%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Racist Whites  (Read 14317 times)

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Re: Racist Whites
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 01:49:23 PM »
Looks like white people are going crazy as it gets down to the wire. I reckon more and more of these boards will pop up this year. Hey, what are you guys doing to remember my Morehouse brother, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?

He said: "I have a dream....that one day, white folk will shut the @#!* up about getting into law school, and realize that they have all the advantages that anyone could possibly have in a white man's world. I have a dream.....that one day, black people will stop giving a @#!* about what white people think, and continue to move forward with our goals of going to law school. One day, we can all sing that old negro spiritual....I'm in law school female dog! Admitted at last! Admitted at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm admitted at last!"     

LMAO

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 01:50:59 PM »
What if you interview a lot better than said "black candidate"?

I don't see your point, especially:

sh*t, look at yourselves and your attitudes, makes me sick!!!
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 02:00:26 PM »
Looks like white people are going crazy as it gets down to the wire. I reckon more and more of these boards will pop up this year. Hey, what are you guys doing to remember my Morehouse brother, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?

He said: "I have a dream....that one day, white folk will shut the #@!* up about getting into law school, and realize that they have all the advantages that anyone could possibly have in a white man's world. I have a dream.....that one day, black people will stop giving a #@!* about what white people think, and continue to move forward with our goals of going to law school. One day, we can all sing that old negro spiritual....I'm in law school female dog! Admitted at last! Admitted at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm admitted at last!"     

classic ROFL
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Gummo

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 02:28:02 PM »

He said: "I have a dream....that one day, white folk will shut the @#!* up about getting into law school, and realize that they have all the advantages that anyone could possibly have in a white man's world. I have a dream.....that one day, black people will stop giving a @#!* about what white people think, and continue to move forward with our goals of going to law school. One day, we can all sing that old negro spiritual....I'm in law school female dog! Admitted at last! Admitted at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm admitted at last!"     

hahaha  :D.

maricutie

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 03:44:36 PM »
LOL  :D

drew617

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 04:54:18 PM »
I strongly disagree with AA but I don't blame anyone who takes advantage of the system.  If the advantages are there for the taking, by all means take them.  My beef is with the system and not the people who exploit it.

ori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 06:57:33 PM »
We can disagree with the practice of AA (I find diversity to be a worthwhile objective, by the way), but I do not think anyone can disparage someone for accepting something that is offered.

Yes, especially if they understand the consequences, such as other people doubting whether or not you deserved that degree/position.

Let's say that I, as a minority, decided I wouldn't take a law school acceptance that didn't match my numbers because I don't accept these consequences.  Does that make any difference in my life besides screwing myself over?  If we're going to talk about ethnicity, let's talk about the fact that it's not something you can "choose" or take off or put on like a jacket.

I think that there is a degree to which you can control these consequences, especially with those who you are closer to, although you won't be able to totally eradicate them.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=origoongdengee
In: NYU, Temple
WL: Harvard, Stanford
Deferred: UPenn
WL/Accepted (for c/o 2009): Chicago
WL/Declined: Columbia
WL/Rejected: Yale

ori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 07:53:57 PM »
We can disagree with the practice of AA (I find diversity to be a worthwhile objective, by the way), but I do not think anyone can disparage someone for accepting something that is offered.

Yes, especially if they understand the consequences, such as other people doubting whether or not you deserved that degree/position.

Let's say that I, as a minority, decided I wouldn't take a law school acceptance that didn't match my numbers because I don't accept these consequences.  Does that make any difference in my life besides screwing myself over?  If we're going to talk about ethnicity, let's talk about the fact that it's not something you can "choose" or take off or put on like a jacket.

I think that there is a degree to which you can control these consequences, especially with those who you are closer to, although you won't be able to totally eradicate them.

How?

You will be able to inform those who you are closer to, such as your classmates and people you work with at firms, of your stats, your success at law school, and other factors that demonstrate that the path that you followed wasn't paved because of your ethnicity.  Perhaps I'm naive, but I think that if most people are properly informed, they will consider you on your own merits.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=origoongdengee
In: NYU, Temple
WL: Harvard, Stanford
Deferred: UPenn
WL/Accepted (for c/o 2009): Chicago
WL/Declined: Columbia
WL/Rejected: Yale

MJ

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 12:39:34 AM »
mobell...sorry so late..but CONGRATULATIONS on Stanford!

NHLFan26

• View Profile
    • http://www.nephilly-youngdemocrats.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2005, 02:52:45 PM »
I am a fairly liberal Democrat (voted John Kerry, Joe Hoeffel, and Allyson Schwartz) and I said yes, but I oppose Affirmative Action.  I do not feel any race should have preferential treatment in hiring or admissions decisions.  I am an Irish Catholic who grew up in Norrtheast Philadelphia and far from wealthy.  My ancestors dealt with a lot themselves (artifical Potato famine, Penal Laws, etc.) from the Brits and yet we don't get preference for past discrimination.  Other groups such as the Chinese, Armenians, Jews. etc. can say the same thing.