Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you are white and you go for a job interview where there is a black candidate who is much better qualified than you but you get the job would you turn it down?

Yes
 15 (10.2%)
No
 132 (89.8%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Racist Whites  (Read 14335 times)

Dangermouse

• View Profile
Racist Whites
« on: January 17, 2005, 11:58:12 AM »
Lets be honest he!!!

BIG H2001

Re: Racist Whites
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 12:01:42 PM »
I don't think anyone would turn down a job they really wanted, regardless of who might be more "qualified."  I guess we can add this to the endless list of pointless threads about racism that keep popping up on this board.

A.J

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 12:01:52 PM »
Where are things this bad?  Honestly, I dont see this happening in my experience. 

btw-If you're a white person this little soap box act will probably annoy your URM counterpart.

Gummo

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 12:03:52 PM »
I don't think anyone would turn down a job they really wanted, regardless of who might be more "qualified."  I guess we can add this to the endless list of pointless threads about racism that keep popping up on this board.

Agreed. 

And there's AA in hiring practices, too. 

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 12:37:02 PM »
Why has this board turned so "racial" recently? I mean, it's really out-of-control.

???

New York

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 01:29:25 PM »
i do think the question is stupid....but the title is more so.

The question has nothing to do with racism. If I get a job over someone else...even if its my cute little grandma...IM KEEPING THE JOB.

So how does this question relate to racism??

if you are talking about the employer being racist..i doubt you would be able to ascertain this unless you overhear the employer say something racist ...which is even more unlikely.

twarga

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 01:38:07 PM »
I've spent more than 1/3 of my life in the AF, so I don't see the racism as much.  A few years ago, one of my fellow paralegals in the JAG office said to me, "Do you realize that you are the only white paralegal in the office out of 12 of us?"  I honestly hadn't.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 01:39:52 PM »
How would you even know if they were more qualified? More to the point perhaps there was something non-qualified and non-racial about why you were hired over the other person. Perhaps your personality messed better with the company or you and the boss share an interest in golf. I think part of the problem in debates like this is that everyone assumes that "qualified" is something that is easily determined and quantified. Everyone I have ever talked to who has done hiring for jobs will tells me that much of the process involves things that are not easily put into numbers. Same with Admissions...

ori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 01:44:03 PM »
We can disagree with the practice of AA (I find diversity to be a worthwhile objective, by the way), but I do not think anyone can disparage someone for accepting something that is offered.

Yes, especially if they understand the consequences, such as other people doubting whether or not you deserved that degree/position.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=origoongdengee
In: NYU, Temple
WL: Harvard, Stanford
Deferred: UPenn
WL/Accepted (for c/o 2009): Chicago
WL/Declined: Columbia
WL/Rejected: Yale

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 01:45:26 PM »
Looks like white people are going crazy as it gets down to the wire. I reckon more and more of these boards will pop up this year. Hey, what are you guys doing to remember my Morehouse brother, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?

He said: "I have a dream....that one day, white folk will shut the #@!* up about getting into law school, and realize that they have all the advantages that anyone could possibly have in a white man's world. I have a dream.....that one day, black people will stop giving a #@!* about what white people think, and continue to move forward with our goals of going to law school. One day, we can all sing that old negro spiritual....I'm in law school B*tch! Admitted at last! Admitted at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm admitted at last!"