Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are current admission policies failing the black man?  (Read 4898 times)

rwhitman

Re: Are current admission policies failing the black man?
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 03:31:53 PM »

The smart black males are making jumpshots and carrying pigskin.
HTH

maricutie

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »
From what I have seen it is more easy for a black women to succeed then a black man. For one I think the stereotypes of black men as being dangerous criminals with a propensity for violence effects them and there ability to succeed. Also I think that unfortunately black men are more likely to get caught up in the gangs and problems that plague many black communities. They also are more likely to need to get a job to support other family members. All of this contributes to the fact that black women seem more represented in academic environments.

To take this a little further: just look at what plays on the TV. Whenever you see black men, or black teenagers, they're inevitably in some sports field. I would think this has some influence on the career motivations of those black kids watching these shows, no? Thankfully, this has been changing.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 03:53:16 PM »
From what I have seen it is more easy for a black women to succeed then a black man. For one I think the stereotypes of black men as being dangerous criminals with a propensity for violence effects them and there ability to succeed. Also I think that unfortunately black men are more likely to get caught up in the gangs and problems that plague many black communities. They also are more likely to need to get a job to support other family members. All of this contributes to the fact that black women seem more represented in academic environments.

To take this a little further: just look at what plays on the TV. Whenever you see black men, or black teenagers, they're inevitably in some sports field. I would think this has some influence on the career motivations of those black kids watching these shows, no? Thankfully, this has been changing.

not sure I buy it.  black women are also stereotyped as being unwed teenage mothers "baby mamas," hootchie mamas, and crack whores..stereotypes abound about the black community as a whole that would seem to suggest/predict global underperformance...
I do believe the stereotype about black males being violent generally leads to increased disciplinary actions against them (probably not aided by zero tolerance policies) as well as the potential for normal active black males to be put on ritalin or other drugs to reduce their perceived hyperactivity

maricutie

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 04:33:11 PM »
not sure I buy it.  black women are also stereotyped as being unwed teenage mothers "baby mamas," hootchie mamas, and crack whores..

I was thinking about this, too. The thing is, being a single unwed mother (as is the stereotype) also breeds much maturity, as well as responsibility. Now, this isn't true for all, whatever the race, but my guess is that being in that position makes you re-think your goals in life and get your life in order, motivating you to be something better for your children. 

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 04:48:37 PM »

Maybe I am watching the wrong shows, but it seems that Black Women are portrayed as one of three things:
1. Teenage mother (as indicated above)
2. Obnoxious and stupid (this often happens on reality shows)
3. Obsessed with material goods
Not exactly the type of image that would inspire educational greatness.

not sure I buy it.  black women are also stereotyped as being unwed teenage mothers "baby mamas," hootchie mamas, and crack whores..stereotypes abound about the black community as a whole that would seem to suggest/predict global underperformance...
I do believe the stereotype about black males being violent generally leads to increased disciplinary actions against them (probably not aided by zero tolerance policies) as well as the potential for normal active black males to be put on ritalin or other drugs to reduce their perceived hyperactivity
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 08:19:33 PM »
There are more women than men.  I am not going to get into the social reasons as far as Af-Am males.  Do research then speak.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.