Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are current admission policies failing the black man?  (Read 5101 times)

NorthwoodV

• View Profile
Are current admission policies failing the black man?
« on: January 17, 2005, 11:48:19 AM »
Black men are horribly underrepresented in law school compared to black females.  Do you feel this is due to...

Schools trying to simultaneously fill AA spots and also add to their percentage of women?

Just not enough black men qualified, intelligent enough to qualify because of the educational system, culture, etc?

Other reasons?

Data from Official Guide 2004

Harvard, Black males = 47, Black females = 93
GW, BM 55, BF 124
G'town, BM 63, BF 139
Berkeley, BM 11, BF 26
Penn, BM 22, BF 48
Duke, BM 20, BF 38
Columbia, BM 48, BF 60
Cornell, BM 11, BF 21
Emory, BM 15, BF 35
NYU, BM 37, BF 63
UNC, BM 21, BF 57
Mich, BM 28, BF 46

It is almost two to one (closer to 2.5 to 1 at UPenn, GW, and G'town) and I did not cherry pick these numbers but selected them randomly.  Has anyone heard of any studies done on this topic?

Mexican Americans and Hispanics are almost equal between genders if anyone was wondering.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Are current admission policies failing the black man?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 12:16:55 PM »
fairly even at Yale I believe black males me be slightly more represented than Black females.

At Stanford black men are *very* underrepresented--I believe a couple years back there was only one black male who eventually enrolled.  They've been a bit better in the years following

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 12:53:39 PM »
Regardless of race, this is going to be the trend for quite some time.  Take a look at the undergrad population at schools across the nation.  In some schools the women outnumber the men by a two-to-one margin.

It won't be long before women are the dominant majority in most post-undergrad programs.

I'd like to go to such schools and fornicate with the women.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 12:59:48 PM »
Regardless of race, this is going to be the trend for quite some time.  Take a look at the undergrad population at schools across the nation.  In some schools the women outnumber the men by a two-to-one margin.

It won't be long before women are the dominant majority in most post-undergrad programs.

I'd like to go to such schools and fornicate with the women.

I'm not lying when I say that one of the things I will consider when making my final law school selection is the undergrad/graduate school female-to-male ratios.

Same here, I wouldn't joke about something like that. Well...I would, but it's still one of my major topics for consideration.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

brirobs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 01:08:30 PM »
This is really the case in all of higher education.  Black women go to and graduate college at a much higher rate than black men also.

It's sad, but at the same time it's good for people like me.  It's like being an URM of an URM, thus putting black males at the top of the URM pile.

brirobs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 01:21:17 PM »
This is really the case in all of higher education.  Black women go to and graduate college at a much higher rate than black men also.

It's sad, but at the same time it's good for people like me.  It's like being an URM of an URM, thus putting black males at the top of the URM pile.

Interesting idea.  Do you think schools really look at it this way?  Or do you think the HUGE disparity b/w Black gendered representation in law school is the consequence of AA policy that doesn't take gender into account? (Just because that's what I thought OP might be driving at.)

I honestly think they take gender into account, but that there just honestly aren't enough quality black male applicants, especially at the top schools.  The black men graduation rate at colleges across the US is 34% while the graduation rate for black women is like 45% and when adding the fact that black women have higher college enrollment numbers too, that makes a huge difference in raw numbers. 

Here's a good link regarding those numbers:

http://members.aol.com/digasa/stats13.htm

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 01:36:35 PM »
might have something to do with all the young black men who have been killed or imprisoned...

just a thought

the REAL desi

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 01:51:26 PM »
maybe the qualified black males are choosing to pursue other fields such as medicine and i-banking?

but this in intruiging.  even in my own community, the desi females outnumber the desi males.  of course, this has to do with our societal scorn for the legal profession and that desi males lose respect for not becoming a doctor or engineer or business owner.

is there a similar scorn to the profession in the black community?

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 01:57:13 PM »
From what I have seen it is more easy for a black women to succeed then a black man. For one I think the stereotypes of black men as being dangerous criminals with a propensity for violence effects them and there ability to succeed. Also I think that unfortunately black men are more likely to get caught up in the gangs and problems that plague many black communities. They also are more likely to need to get a job to support other family members. All of this contributes to the fact that black women seem more represented in academic environments.

I think that until we as country address these factors these sorts of patterns will continue. AA is a part of this because it helps to create more successful black people who can serve as mentors and role models for young black kids. One of the bigger predictors of success in life is having people in your life you have succeed from similar environments as yourself. Since most people know older adults though their parents and since most people associate more with people in their own communities having successful black men and women in various communities helps the younger members of those communities to see that they to can succeed

the REAL desi

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 02:03:43 PM »
to hijack the thread a bit:

mobell:  ibanking is investment banking.  it's a b!tch job but you make hella cash if you are good at it.  but you also work 100 to 120 hours a week.

also, if you yourself are looking for a doctor to marry, be sure to attend a law school that has med school w/in social range.  these "minor" factors can be pretty major IMHO