Specific Groups / Issues > Affirmative Action

Are current admission policies failing the black man?

(1/4) > >>

NorthwoodV:
Black men are horribly underrepresented in law school compared to black females.  Do you feel this is due to...

Schools trying to simultaneously fill AA spots and also add to their percentage of women?

Just not enough black men qualified, intelligent enough to qualify because of the educational system, culture, etc?

Other reasons?

Data from Official Guide 2004

Harvard, Black males = 47, Black females = 93
GW, BM 55, BF 124
G'town, BM 63, BF 139
Berkeley, BM 11, BF 26
Penn, BM 22, BF 48
Duke, BM 20, BF 38
Columbia, BM 48, BF 60
Cornell, BM 11, BF 21
Emory, BM 15, BF 35
NYU, BM 37, BF 63
UNC, BM 21, BF 57
Mich, BM 28, BF 46

It is almost two to one (closer to 2.5 to 1 at UPenn, GW, and G'town) and I did not cherry pick these numbers but selected them randomly.  Has anyone heard of any studies done on this topic?

Mexican Americans and Hispanics are almost equal between genders if anyone was wondering.

One Step Ahead:
fairly even at Yale I believe black males me be slightly more represented than Black females.

At Stanford black men are *very* underrepresented--I believe a couple years back there was only one black male who eventually enrolled.  They've been a bit better in the years following

russian_concussion:

--- Quote from: Paperback Writer on January 17, 2005, 12:52:20 PM ---Regardless of race, this is going to be the trend for quite some time.  Take a look at the undergrad population at schools across the nation.  In some schools the women outnumber the men by a two-to-one margin.

It won't be long before women are the dominant majority in most post-undergrad programs.

--- End quote ---

I'd like to go to such schools and fornicate with the women.

russian_concussion:

--- Quote from: Paperback Writer on January 17, 2005, 12:58:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: russian_concussion on January 17, 2005, 12:53:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Paperback Writer on January 17, 2005, 12:52:20 PM ---Regardless of race, this is going to be the trend for quite some time.  Take a look at the undergrad population at schools across the nation.  In some schools the women outnumber the men by a two-to-one margin.

It won't be long before women are the dominant majority in most post-undergrad programs.

--- End quote ---

I'd like to go to such schools and fornicate with the women.

--- End quote ---

I'm not lying when I say that one of the things I will consider when making my final law school selection is the undergrad/graduate school female-to-male ratios.

--- End quote ---

Same here, I wouldn't joke about something like that. Well...I would, but it's still one of my major topics for consideration.

brirobs:
This is really the case in all of higher education.  Black women go to and graduate college at a much higher rate than black men also.

It's sad, but at the same time it's good for people like me.  It's like being an URM of an URM, thus putting black males at the top of the URM pile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version