Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you were given URM advantage, would you take it?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll - If you were given URM advantage, would you take it?  (Read 13018 times)

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
Re: Poll - If you were given URM advantage, would you take it?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005, 07:45:47 PM »
lol youre a riot

off topic...do you go to umass lowell?

Regrettably yea.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005, 07:50:39 PM »
I was up in Lowell a few weeks ago at the Kerouac memorial... 
I go to Emmanuel...
Uconn Law 1L.

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2005, 07:52:09 PM »
I was up in Lowell a few weeks ago at the Kerouac memorial... 
I go to Emmanuel...

Where's Emmanuel? And what did you think of Lowell?

Would you consider yourself a beatnik(sp?)?. I never dug Kerouac, simply because he liked Lowell and I don't.

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2005, 07:59:13 PM »
Emmanuel is in Boston...its like 2 blocks from

FENWAY PARK
HOME OF THE 2004 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX

sorry....it's been an involuntary tick since october lol

i wouldnt say im a beatnik, but i read alot of kerouac, burroughs, amd bukowski (even though he is not considered a beat writer, he pretty much is in actually)

i dont like lowell much either, very dirty.  i was especially unimpressed with the fact that there was grafitti all over the memorial and junk on the ground.

sorry about all the spelling errors...i cant spell to save my life.
Uconn Law 1L.

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2005, 08:02:48 PM »
Emmanuel is in Boston...its like 2 blocks from

FENWAY PARK
HOME OF THE 2004 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX

sorry....it's been an involuntary tick since october lol

i wouldnt say im a beatnik, but i read alot of kerouac, burroughs, amd bukowski (even though he is not considered a beat writer, he pretty much is in actually)

i dont like lowell much either, very dirty.  i was especially unimpressed with the fact that there was grafitti all over the memorial and junk on the ground.

sorry about all the spelling errors...i cant spell to save my life.

Sorry about the grafitti and trash, I'm pretty sure my friends and I are responsible for it.

I despise Lowell, I only hope they'll let me graduate in the f-cking spring. Ugh.

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2005, 08:14:43 PM »
Getting back on topic

It looks like this poll validates the URMs on this board. 78% of voters so far, which must includes many non-URMs, would gladly take a URM admission.
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

Edster

• It'll be okay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2005, 09:49:26 PM »
I'd check "prefer not to answer" on the application form. I am all for bringing in people with diverse experiences, provided they can do the work at a given school, but I am entirely opposed to the ideas that skin color makes a person different (that's racism in it's purest form, whichever way it's aimed) or that somebody who has never been enslaved, denied entrance to a public library, denied access to a public high school, or otherwise "held down" is entitled to any kind of "plus factor" on an academic measure.

Note: I am not downplaying slavery or the civil rights abuses of the past; I am, however, saying that what happened to a person's ancestors 150 or even 40 years ago has no bearing on whether or not said person can grasp logic or work hard enough to get good grades. 150 years ago, my ancestors were hounded out of their country for their religious beliefs and had to start over with nothing; I don't claim privilege and don't expect anyone else to, either.
EMC on LSN

Attending: Chicago
Accepted: Chicago ($), Columbia, NYU ($), UVA ($), Penn ($), Duke ($), Vanderbilt ($), Texas ($)
Waitlisted: Michigan (withdrawn)
Dings: Harvard, Yale and 4/4 graduate schools

Trevor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • T Sinister
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2005, 05:34:48 AM »
It's not necessarily hypocritical to oppose granting URM status while being willing to accept it if offered.  It's perfectly consistent to hold that whatever the rule smay happen to be, one should seek to maximize one's returns under them, even if one doesn't agree with every rule.

If you'll allow a brief analogy:  I'm a tall guy, standing 6'5".  I don't think being tall will make me a better lawyer.  But suppose that law schools, for thier own reasons I don't even understand, prefer taller candidates.  I think this is silly, but I'm not going to turn down height-based advantages if they are offered.

This stance would rule out prostitution or fraud to get ahead, too.

So yeah, if anyone offered my admission based on thier determination that I was a URM of some kind, I'd accept.  For the record, I think that affirmative action can in principle be done right, but I don't know (or care to know) enough of the specifics of any program to say whether that's happening.  I just check the "White/Caucasian" box and get on with my life.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2005, 06:16:50 AM »
hey you tall bastard.. you'll never compete in my limbo school of law.

good point.. man if I was white AND tall... I'd rule the world!

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2005, 10:40:55 AM »
It's not necessarily hypocritical to oppose granting URM status while being willing to accept it if offered.  It's perfectly consistent to hold that whatever the rule smay happen to be, one should seek to maximize one's returns under them, even if one doesn't agree with every rule.

It doesn't work that way.

If you say you oppose URM favoritism, for anyone - It would be hypocritical if you then took a URM admission.

If you say you oppose URM favoritism, for others, but would take it if it were offered to you - In this case it would not be hypocritical to take a URM admission. Of course no one would listen to such a clearly self-serving opinion.

If you say the first, but believe the second, then you are a devious liar. You would be described using far worst adjectives than hypocritical.
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.