Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

If you were given URM advantage, would you take it?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll - If you were given URM advantage, would you take it?  (Read 13762 times)

maricutie

Re: Poll - If you were given URM advantage, would you take it?
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »
Those who apply this statement to the admissions process for minorities have made an error of inductive reasoning, ironically, that the normal test taker would be able to spot on an LSAT exam.  It takes something as complex as being a minority in America, reduces it to something as simple as an "edge" for law school admissions, and then takes that miseducated view and applies it to a widesweaping allegation that minorities have an unfrair "advantage" when it comes to admissions.

Somebody recognized earlier in this thread somewhere that if you had to REMAIN a minority in order to "check the box" then they would have to reconsider...

SERIOUSLY ... that's what the poll should be changed to. There will be some exceptions, of course, especially for those who arguably should be considered under AA (disadvantaged Asians, poor whites, etc) ... but I don't think the people arguing against all aspects of AA really fit in that category of exceptions.

SUGGESTION FOR NEW POLL: If you had to become a URM to get URM points, would you?

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2005, 11:34:55 AM »
After working at a Country Club for ten years (summers) and seeing the only black member they ever had leave after three years (he paid $25 k just to join) b/c there was racist darn going on, I'd prefer to stay white, to say the least.  To say there aren't serious problems with racism in America -- to say that URM somehow get a free ride -- is absurd.

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2005, 11:45:47 AM »
Why would anyone feel "guilty" going to Harvard when they would have done fine at Columbia?  Because someone who "should" have been admitted to Harvard instead has to slum it at Columbia?  Please.  As if anyone has a "right" to HYS.

Well. Couldn't you say the same thing about the URM? Why doesn't the URM just go to Columbia and let the other person attend Harvard?
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2005, 11:55:11 AM »
Thought I'd chime in with a somewhat unique perspective.  You must forgive me, though, as I haven't thoroughly read all of this thread.
I am part Mexican from my mom's side but I have very light skin from my dad.  You'd never guess I wasn't just a white girl.  So I am faced with this question now.  Technically I will always be a URM but will probably never face any real challenges resulting from this.  That's not to say my life is super easy- I mean, I'm not the sort of priveleged person whose parents give them everything and so forth.  I've been pretty much on my own since I was 16.  But needless to say I've never experienced any great deal of misfortune due to my background. 
So my answer to this poll was that I would, and in fact will, absolutely take advantage of this status.  I disagree with the institution of AA but I also think it would be foolish not to take advantage of it.  It will either help me or hurt me and either way AA isn't going to change.  I know there was some question as to whether this was a hypocritical view, but I must say that it isn't.  If I could make it so that AA would have no effect, I'd prefer that.  But the sad truth is that this is not a level playing field and I will do what it takes to get a little bit ahead.
3.7/165.  How crazy to finally have real stats...

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2005, 11:58:33 AM »
This is our point of disagreement. In my opinion, it is immoral to choose to accept benefit from a system which you are critical of. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree at this point.

let's try it this way.  you white, right?  so julie, as that relevant here.  every day, we benefit from our whiteness even without asking for it, much less supporting it.

real question is what we choose to do.  your emphasis seem to be on arguing that urms should not accept benefits of system that, overall, clearly discriminates against them.  why not spend energies addressing realities of racial prejudice?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2005, 12:03:59 PM »
let's try it this way.  you white, right?  so julie, as that relevant here.  every day, we benefit from our whiteness even without asking for it, much less supporting it.

real question is what we choose to do.  your emphasis seem to be on arguing that urms should not accept benefits of system that, overall, clearly discriminates against them.  why not spend energies addressing realities of racial prejudice?

I clearly asked that people stay on topic and that this thread not turn into another AA debate. Please read the second paragraph of my post below and then move on to another thread.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,21510.msg310820.html#msg310820
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2005, 12:10:18 PM »
let's try it this way. you white, right? so julie, as that relevant here. every day, we benefit from our whiteness even without asking for it, much less supporting it.

real question is what we choose to do. your emphasis seem to be on arguing that urms should not accept benefits of system that, overall, clearly discriminates against them. why not spend energies addressing realities of racial prejudice?

I clearly asked that people stay on topic and that this thread not turn into another AA debate. Please read the second paragraph of my post below and then move on to another thread.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,21510.msg310820.html#msg310820

point avoided, julie note.  that ok:  you a putz anyway.
(and certainly a control freak.)

manger-moi.

rohan

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2005, 12:12:04 PM »
Okay, what about we end A.A.  But replace it the next day with a comprehensive REPERATIONS plan.  Who is going to pay?  All of the companies that benefited from free slave labor (imagine, no wages, no benefits, no nothing....pretty sweet deal).  So those companies that benefited by 1) having direct non-wage paying employees..hahah that's a funny way to put it or 2) by purchasing goods and services from other companies at depressed prices due to the benefits of free labor.  There is a long list of such companies with sufficient records available.  The reperation money would be put into a managed fund, and used for the issues that affect the black community like health care and education and try to get a somewhat level field in these areas.  Good, it's settled.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2005, 12:13:27 PM »
im for that.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2005, 12:17:41 PM »
Oh yeah, please stay on topic and do not hijack this thread.

Quote from the second post in this thread. Please do not turn this into another AA debate.