Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Racist PMs... (My vent!)  (Read 3428 times)

maricutie

Re: Racist PMs... (My vent!)
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005, 06:50:30 PM »
Yup (to the person who was wondering if I was a URM). I'm as Latina as they come. ;)

Regal, don't let these people get you down. You have the stats that many people would kill for. I was thinking the other how I wished I would have broken 170 on the actual lsat, or traded in my crappy rhetoric major for some nice gpa-boosting history classes -- all so that I could have something to throw back at those who wanted to label me as an AA admit. And ... you know what?

It's not going to do DARN THING. Wherever you go, whatever your stats, you're going to labeled in that way. If I'd chosen to go to Gtown, or USC, where my stats are nearer to the 75th % instead of the 25th, I'd be hearing the same thing. Put your energy into graduating in the top of your class, or making law review -- and THIS is something that no one is going to be able to take away from you.

Take a look at the different way Lexy and Alcibades were treated. Honestly, even now I don't know too much about Alcibades. I don't remember his major. I don't remember where he went to undergrad. I don't know if he had any WE, or his ECs, or who is letters of rec were from. About lexy, though, I know tons ---- because people did not stop when trying to figure out why she got into Yale with her stats. With Alcibades people were quick to stop and say, "oh, he got in because of his race." And that's where it ended. Poor lexy had to show us that she was not a URM, she was not a legacy, she was not rich, she had WE, a masters, etc.

But at the end of the day, Lexy will be able to blend in fine and easily at Yale, whereas Alcibades may still have the sneaking suspicion that people are questioning his reason for being there.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005, 06:50:49 PM »
Recently, I've been receiving a string of PMS from anonymous users stating that the only reason Iím getting into top law school is because of my URM status. Iím not sure whether to laugh or be insulted.  Not to rehash a topic thatís been beaten to death, but what is wrong with individuals these days? Perhaps law schools saw my application as a whole and wanted to admit me into their schools. People are failing to realize that my LSAT score is higher than 99% of all test takers out there; which including blacks, whites, Asians, and Latinos. There have been white people admitted to the same schools as me with lower scores. Should I automatically assume they were admitted because of the privilege that comes with being white? The sad reality is that some of these close minded, racist people are going to be in law school with me. My disgust has reached an all time high. No matter that I busted my ass working at least 25 hours a week, maintaining a high gap, founding one organization, and being president of four highly active organizations on my campus. Nah law schools didnít take any of that into consideration. The cowards who send me derogatory PMs, you guys are pathetic and ridiculous. Ironically if I was a white girl who got in, it would because of my high stats and overall package. Hypocrites, I canít wait to eat you alive in law schoolÖ

Iím done venting now. Continue on.

Regal, you of all people do not need to defend yourself to anyone. Those people are trying to get under your skin and break your confidence. Their comments should sound like whispers because they are coming all the way from the fourth tier.

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2005, 06:53:01 PM »
Either way, I wholeheartedly agree that picking on people for any reason in an anonymous way is cowardly.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

NorthwoodV

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2005, 07:00:59 PM »
(edit)

BigTex

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2005, 07:12:21 PM »
Big Tex says...  "Just look at his her grades/rank to determine worthiness and ability."

Sadly, as AA grows more rampant people like Regal will be required to post their actual grades next to their transcript to attract discerning customers. 

Heck - if you've got good grades from your law/med degree i think it's a good idea to advertise that on your resume regardless of your race. If i were white (and some say i am!) i would give my law school graduation gpa/rank on my resume if they were worth mentioning.

In fact, whenever i see a resume (regardless of race) and law school or med school is listed and there's no indication of "cum laude" etc., i just assume the person didn't do so well.

NorthwoodV

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2005, 07:15:17 PM »
(edit)

TLFKARG

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2005, 07:16:52 PM »
Big Tex says...  "Just look at his her grades/rank to determine worthiness and ability."

Sadly, as AA grows more rampant people like Regal will be required to post their actual grades next to their transcript to attract discerning customers. 

Heck - if you've got good grades from your law/med degree i think it's a good idea to advertise that on your resume regardless of your race. If i were white (and some say i am!) i would give my law school graduation gpa/rank on my resume if they were worth mentioning.

For the most part, there's nothing wrong with voluntarily showing your grades.  However, we do not want to set a precedent by which minority practitioners would feel compelled to disclose their grades -- however low or high they may be -- in order to validate their fitness to practice to ignorant, AA-obsessed customers.  

BigTex

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2005, 07:24:43 PM »

For the most part, there's nothing wrong with voluntarily showing your grades.  However, we do not want to set a precedent by which minority practitioners would feel compelled to disclose their grades -- however low or high they may be -- in order to validate their fitness to practice to ignorant, AA-obsessed customers. 

I don't care if a doctor is white, black, chinese or whatever. Before any pediatrician touches my child i want to see his resume. If he doesn't give class rank/gpa information (e.g. "cum laude" etc.) then he's not touching my kid. I don't want some bottom-of-the-class pediatrician treating my child. Me? - sure i'll let a bottom-rung doctor treat me, but not my child.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2005, 09:37:35 PM »
If an URM passes the bar (especially the CA Bar since it is considered the most difficult one of all the other states) wouldn't that make them qualified to practice law? Obviously they have the intellect to take a rigorious exam and pass the bar.  Comparing Lawyers to doctors is like apples and oranges. Most doctors who pass  all the exams to get licensed are more than qualified. Youíll be surprised how many people end up dropping out of medical school. Both my mother and stepmother are doctors and they had to go through tons of exams to even practice medicine. At least as a lawyer, after passing the bar you are done with "exams" forever. However doctors still have to still take exams to keep their board certification. So I would think that a URM doctor would be just as good as a white doctor if they have been practicing for years and have a good reputation.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2005, 09:54:01 PM »
BigTex: fortunately the med profession aren't number whores.  I feel pretty comfortable with most Docs who've passed 3 USMLEs and have spent a minimum of 8 years before being released.  I can understand the role of prestige and class rank when pitting one lawyer against the other, but it's not like you have docs on both sides, one trying to save and the other trying to kill the patient.