Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Racist PMs... (My vent!)  (Read 3332 times)

UMHBmom

Re: Racist PMs... (My vent!)
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 05:04:03 PM »
Miguel has a great point, and it's one of the chief reasons I don't embrace AA w/ open arms. I'm a tad <ahem> older than you are, and grew up in the 80's when AA was alive, kickin', and waaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the open. I couldn't get a flippin' job at Taco Bell without someone saying I took the job from a white boy. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. People are ignorant and selfish, and when they face failure they will refuse to face it alone. Someone must be blamed. It's the American Way! I was truthfully relieved to find that Asians are no longer considered "minority" for admissions and hiring purposes. Hopefully that means that from this point any success I may have won't be questioned as being product other than my own. Girl, you owned your stripes fair and square.... but there is always going to be someone out there wanting to take it away from you. Just remember that AA was conceived as a maner of combatting ignorance, not eradicating it. Thicken up the skin... you're gonna need it!

Regal_Muse

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 05:06:59 PM »
Although USC is pretty conservative, people are respectful with their comments and willing to hear what the other side has to say. In some of my race and ethnicity classes I've taken, there were some pretty ignorant people making not so PC comments. Most of the comments came from how they grew up so I wasn't too offended. IN addition, these people were willing to open their eyes and understand how one's background does affect educational opprotunities. Also I'm in Southern California which is very liberal thinking. That's my primary concern about going to the East Coast for law school. People are very different out there and might not care about making comments that are deemed offensive.

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 05:09:04 PM »
Recently, I've been receiving a string of PMS from anonymous users stating that the only reason Iím getting into top law school is because of my URM status. Iím not sure whether to laugh or be insulted.  Not to rehash a topic thatís been beaten to death, but what is wrong with individuals these days? Perhaps law schools saw my application as a whole and wanted to admit me into their schools. People are failing to realize that my LSAT score is higher than 99% of all test takers out there; which including blacks, whites, Asians, and Latinos. There have been white people admitted to the same schools as me with lower scores. Should I automatically assume they were admitted because of the privilege that comes with being white? The sad reality is that some of these close minded, racist people are going to be in law school with me. My disgust has reached an all time high. No matter that I busted my ass working at least 25 hours a week, maintaining a high gap, founding one organization, and being president of four highly active organizations on my campus. Nah law schools didnít take any of that into consideration. The cowards who send me derogatory PMs, you guys are pathetic and ridiculous. Ironically if I was a white girl who got in, it would because of my high stats and overall package. Hypocrites, I canít wait to eat you alive in law schoolÖ

Iím done venting now. Continue on.

I wouldn't say you're getting in because of URM status. Your stats are good enough for the schools you've been accepted to. However, there are others, such as Alcibiades (Yale) and Maricutie (Stanford) whose stats are lacking and who may have gotten in because of their URM status.

I also wonder if you've really been getting a lot of PMs.I challenge you to tell us who sent you these PMs, if you're telling the truth.
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 05:11:03 PM »
Recently, I've been receiving a string of PMS from anonymous users stating that the only reason Iím getting into top law school is because of my URM status. Iím not sure whether to laugh or be insulted. Not to rehash a topic thatís been beaten to death, but what is wrong with individuals these days? Perhaps law schools saw my application as a whole and wanted to admit me into their schools. People are failing to realize that my LSAT score is higher than 99% of all test takers out there; which including blacks, whites, Asians, and Latinos. There have been white people admitted to the same schools as me with lower scores. Should I automatically assume they were admitted because of the privilege that comes with being white? The sad reality is that some of these close minded, racist people are going to be in law school with me. My disgust has reached an all time high. No matter that I busted my ass working at least 25 hours a week, maintaining a high gap, founding one organization, and being president of four highly active organizations on my campus. Nah law schools didnít take any of that into consideration. The cowards who send me derogatory PMs, you guys are pathetic and ridiculous. Ironically if I was a white girl who got in, it would because of my high stats and overall package. Hypocrites, I canít wait to eat you alive in law schoolÖ

Iím done venting now. Continue on.

I wouldn't say you're getting in because of URM status. Your stats are good enough for the schools you've been accepted to. However, there are others, such as Alcibiades (Yale) and Maricutie (Stanford) whose stats are lacking and who may have gotten in because of their URM status.

I also wonder if you've really been getting a lot of PMs.I challenge you to tell us who sent you these PMs, if you're telling the truth.

Don't let those asswipes get to you Regal. They're all just jealous. (Heck, I wish I had your stats... :o)

Goodadvice: Why would she lie about getting PM's?
Edit: She never said "a lot of PM's", she said "a string of PM's", which could be several, could be a couple. Regardless of quantity, the PM's are nevertheless offensive and cowardly, that's more the main point than anything. Even if she did tell us who wrote them, they are probably "newbie" accounts and cannot be traced to a certain poster. I don't think this is a plea for attention, like you originally said. It's simply a rant about some jerkish PM's.
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

Regal_Muse

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 05:17:57 PM »
Yeah why would I lie? Perhaps like a lot...I've gotten 5 negative PMs from users I've never even seen in my life.

I do have a question though...

What is considered a low lsat/gpa? I think any lsat score over 165 is a damn good one. GPA is hard to determine b/c it depends on the UG and major.

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 05:20:37 PM »
Yeah why would I lie? Perhaps like a lot...I've gotten 5 negative PMs from users I've never even seen in my life.

I do have a question though...

What is considered a low lsat/gpa? I think any lsat score over 165 is a damn good one. GPA is hard to determine b/c it depends on the UG and major.

You could have lied to exaggerate (a common reason to lie.) I just noticed the people sending them were anonymous. It was probably just one person.

Low GPA/LSAT is obviously a relative term and depends on the school. Based on Chiashu, someone with your stats has a 50% chance of getting into Harvard, so you could have easily gotten in without URM benefit.

However, someone with Alcibiades stats only has a 11% chance at Yale, and someone with Maricutie's stats only has a 6% chance at Stanford - Implying they may have benefited from their URM status. I'm not saying they did, just that they may have.
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

UMHBmom

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 05:23:47 PM »
I didn't think MariCutie was URM.  ???

Regal_Muse

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 05:38:56 PM »
Nah I have no reason to exaggerate.

Is it far to use some random website to calculate someone's chances of getting into a law school? Adcoms don't just crunch numbers; other factors besides URM status are taken into consideration.

LordofLight

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2005, 05:53:03 PM »
It is clear that with your numbers and life experiences, you are  a competitive candidate at the top schools; this would be true even if you were a little green martian or an android or some sort of 3-armed bearded lady eyes-all-apopping-out circus freak.

As for the racist PMs, really whoever you are, that's pretty bad. You're on an INTERNET web board. It's not like you need a lot of courage to post racist crap on the internet in the first place. It must take a truly great lack of mettle to feel that posting something out for others to read, on the internet, is too great a risk. LOL.

NorthwoodV

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2005, 05:55:40 PM »
AA helps certain URM's but as long as you work in law you will be seen by potential clients and hiring partners as most likely an undeserved admit to fill a quota.  Sorry.

And the implications in medicine are even worse.  If my child was receiving a life-saving procedure I am not sure I could put his/her life in the hands of a minority that may have been grossly under qualified to attend the medical school they did.