Law School Discussion

Racist PMs... (My vent!)

Re: Racist PMs... (My vent!)
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2005, 07:19:23 AM »
I hate AA. I showed up last week and they told me I either had to leave or get rid of my beer...

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2005, 01:51:56 PM »

I wouldn't say you're getting in because of URM status. Your stats are good enough for the schools you've been accepted to. However, there are others, such as Alcibiades (Yale) and Maricutie (Stanford) whose stats are lacking and who may have gotten in because of their URM status.

Lol, I get the distinct impression that you don't like me.  Fortunately, I don't care.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2005, 01:54:55 PM »
I was thinking the other how I wished I would have broken 170 on the actual lsat, or traded in my crappy rhetoric major for some nice gpa-boosting history classes -- all so that I could have something to throw back at those who wanted to label me as an AA admit. And ... you know what?

It's not going to do DARN THING.

Nope, not at all.

eqqus

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2005, 02:58:30 PM »
AA helps certain URM's but as long as you work in law you will be seen by potential clients and hiring partners as most likely an undeserved admit to fill a quota.  Sorry.

And the implications in medicine are even worse.  If my child was receiving a life-saving procedure I am not sure I could put his/her life in the hands of a minority that may have been grossly under qualified to attend the medical school they did.

AA does not grant someone good grades and guarantee they will graduate. Once that person enrolls in school he or she has to study and pass exams just like everyone else. 

AA does not automatically qualify someone who may have been a grossly underqualified student (as you put it) in medical school to pass the board and become a doctor in the first place.

If that person is practicing medicine it is because of the training and knowledge they gained as a student, not because of minority status.

Get over it.

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2005, 04:00:06 PM »
Recently, I've been receiving a string of PMS from anonymous users stating that the only reason Iím getting into top law school is because of my URM status. Iím not sure whether to laugh or be insulted.  Not to rehash a topic thatís been beaten to death, but what is wrong with individuals these days? Perhaps law schools saw my application as a whole and wanted to admit me into their schools. People are failing to realize that my LSAT score is higher than 99% of all test takers out there; which including blacks, whites, Asians, and Latinos. There have been white people admitted to the same schools as me with lower scores. Should I automatically assume they were admitted because of the privilege that comes with being white? The sad reality is that some of these close minded, racist people are going to be in law school with me. My disgust has reached an all time high. No matter that I busted my ass working at least 25 hours a week, maintaining a high gap, founding one organization, and being president of four highly active organizations on my campus. Nah law schools didnít take any of that into consideration. The cowards who send me derogatory PMs, you guys are pathetic and ridiculous. Ironically if I was a white girl who got in, it would because of my high stats and overall package. Hypocrites, I canít wait to eat you alive in law schoolÖ

Iím done venting now. Continue on.

What's important here RM is to treat this as a single incident.  Don't become too paranoid or too concerned about racism while you're in school.  This is an isolated event.  Not everyone where you'll go to school will be this way.  In fact, there MAY BE 10% of population that will treat you as if you shouldn't exist.  It's their problem.

Don't ever allow anyone to take your spirit away from you. 
Remember that you're a person first. Always demand the respect that you deserve.  And don't ever settle for less.

Congrats and the only "friends" you have are your family members.  There's a Latin phrase about keeping your enemies close...

Someone once left a voicemail message on my phone, letting me know how they were going to kill me...I've since, almost forgot about it until I read your email.

Cheers!

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2005, 04:11:08 PM »
I would just like to say that I am white and I have been admitted to some of the same top schools, with the same lsat score and a gpa that is .12 points lower than the OP.

Most of the people who complain the loudest about AA aren't white people who are competitive at the top schools. Nor would they be competitive at the top schools if there wasn't any AA. So what the hell are they complaining about? As I see it, anyone who could get into a T14 school is qualified to attend HYS. There is nothing wrong with these schools choosing qualified racial and ethnic minorities in order to have a diverse student body. I will happily give up a chance at HYS and attend CCN in exchange for the opportunity to attend a racially and ethnically diverse law school.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2005, 04:39:17 PM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not too worried about what others have to say at this point. My focus is being the best person that I can be. (Yeah that's corny... I know!)

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2005, 04:45:33 PM »
Why do you care? You got the last laugh, and they obviously are insecure.

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2005, 04:54:19 PM »
Recently, I've been receiving a string of PMS from anonymous users stating that the only reason Iím getting into top law school is because of my URM status. Iím not sure whether to laugh or be insulted.  Not to rehash a topic thatís been beaten to death, but what is wrong with individuals these days? Perhaps law schools saw my application as a whole and wanted to admit me into their schools. People are failing to realize that my LSAT score is higher than 99% of all test takers out there; which including blacks, whites, Asians, and Latinos. There have been white people admitted to the same schools as me with lower scores. Should I automatically assume they were admitted because of the privilege that comes with being white? The sad reality is that some of these close minded, racist people are going to be in law school with me. My disgust has reached an all time high. No matter that I busted my ass working at least 25 hours a week, maintaining a high gap, founding one organization, and being president of four highly active organizations on my campus. Nah law schools didnít take any of that into consideration. The cowards who send me derogatory PMs, you guys are pathetic and ridiculous. Ironically if I was a white girl who got in, it would because of my high stats and overall package. Hypocrites, I canít wait to eat you alive in law schoolÖ

Iím done venting now. Continue on.

Omg, you totally deserve to get in, your stats are a lot better than mine, and well within the ranges of all the top schools.  I'm a white girl with lower numbers, but I think that's what we should look at, the numbers, (well actually the whole package, but yours already looks good looking at those numbers :) ) not the fact that you're white, black, purple.  and your numbers are just good, you deserve to be there...

Regal_Muse

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »
Dude, you have a freaking 3.5 in engineering? That's insane. Hats off to you. Your stats are more impressive than mine just because your major is off the wall. Are you interested in IP law?