Law School Discussion

Racist PMs... (My vent!)

Infoolio

Re: Racist PMs... (My vent!)
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2005, 03:58:29 PM »
Anyone who posted that you only got in because of AA is lacking fundamental mental capacity to realize your merit alone gives you a hell of a good shot at it. Jealousy is never a good thing. I congratulate you on your acceptance.

russian_concussion

• Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 04:03:04 PM »
AA helps certain URM's but as long as you work in law you will be seen by potential clients and hiring partners as most likely an undeserved admit to fill a quota.  Sorry.

And the implications in medicine are even worse.  If my child was receiving a life-saving procedure I am not sure I could put his/her life in the hands of a minority that may have been grossly under qualified to attend the medical school they did.

Touche.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 04:05:04 PM »
I am not one of those people who insulted Regal or denigrated her accomplishment. I'm not judging Regal positively or negatively based on her case. For that reason, I have nothing to be ashamed of.

I remain a proud opponent of AA, and a firm advocate for my own people.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2005, 04:11:41 PM »
AA helps certain URM's but as long as you work in law you will be seen by potential clients and hiring partners as most likely an undeserved admit to fill a quota.  Sorry.

And the implications in medicine are even worse.  If my child was receiving a life-saving procedure I am not sure I could put his/her life in the hands of a minority that may have been grossly under qualified to attend the medical school they did.

Law Ninja,

What if the URM got the training to become a great doctor? Malpractice happens to doctors of all races, not just URM minories. Most people who are just starting out at medicial school are pretty much on the same playing field...Something to think about before making such a harsh comment.

UMHBmom

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2005, 04:14:39 PM »

Law Ninja,

What if the URM got the training to become a great doctor? Malpractice happens to doctors of all races, not just URM minories. Most people who are just starting out at medicial school are pretty much on the same playing field...Something to think about before making such a harsh comment.

I can't think of a time that I've questioned credentials based on color, but I've certainly had second thoughts about WHERE someone got their degree. I was in a doctor's office once that had his BS and MD degrees on the wall: both from the University of Guadalajara, both issued on the same day. Yipes! He was white, BTW. I guess I just figure that even if you were last in your class at Stanford, you're still a better doctor than the valedictorian of the University of Guadalajara.

russian_concussion

• Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2005, 04:15:04 PM »

Law Ninja,

I think what he's saying is that most people starting out at medical schools are NOT on the same playing field, and that's the problem.

TLFKARG

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2005, 04:19:30 PM »

You're assuming that the doctor in your theoretical was, in fact, an underqualified applicant who was admitted to medical school only on the basis of AA.  Isn't that a somewhat ignorant and unfounded assumption?  How would you know that the doctor didn't have stellar scores -- scores that were higher than many of the white students in his class?  Last time I checked, one cannot tell an applicant's score by looking at his skin color.

That said, I am not sure that being a defendant in a capital case I would want to be represented by a white attorney who doesn't know that "under-qualified" is properly written with a hyphen.

BigTex

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2005, 04:30:27 PM »
If my child was receiving a life-saving procedure I am not sure I could put his/her life in the hands of a minority that may have been grossly under qualified to attend the medical school they did.

Even if the minority graduated in the top quarter of the class?

While it's debatable whether or not a URM deserves an advantage in admission, come graduation time there is no longer a debate. Either the admit exceeded or failed expectations - there's no more wondering about how he/she got in to begin with. Just look at his her grades/rank to determine worthiness and ability.

Ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2005, 04:43:06 PM »
Regal, you're numbers are very good.  You had a decent chance of getting into Harvard, URM or not.  I'm sure you'll do excellent at any school you choose.  I'm hoping for a Harvard acceptance myself in the next couple months.

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2005, 04:48:21 PM »
they need to bring Dr Eric Benton back! 8)