Law School Discussion

Racist PMs... (My vent!)

Regal_Muse

Racist PMs... (My vent!)
« on: January 16, 2005, 02:46:20 PM »
Recently, I've been receiving a string of PMS from anonymous users stating that the only reason Iím getting into top law school is because of my URM status. Iím not sure whether to laugh or be insulted.  Not to rehash a topic thatís been beaten to death, but what is wrong with individuals these days? Perhaps law schools saw my application as a whole and wanted to admit me into their schools. People are failing to realize that my LSAT score is higher than 99% of all test takers out there; which including blacks, whites, Asians, and Latinos. There have been white people admitted to the same schools as me with lower scores. Should I automatically assume they were admitted because of the privilege that comes with being white? The sad reality is that some of these close minded, racist people are going to be in law school with me. My disgust has reached an all time high. No matter that I busted my ass working at least 25 hours a week, maintaining a high gap, founding one organization, and being president of four highly active organizations on my campus. Nah law schools didnít take any of that into consideration. The cowards who send me derogatory PMs, you guys are pathetic and ridiculous. Ironically if I was a white girl who got in, it would because of my high stats and overall package. Hypocrites, I canít wait to eat you alive in law schoolÖ

Iím done venting now. Continue on.

Re: Racist PMs... (My vent!)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 02:48:50 PM »
" I busted my ass working at least 25 hours a week, maintaining a high gap"

kinda off topic but damn, bastards like you make people like me(those who work 20+hrs but get *&^% gpa's) look bad  :P

BigTex

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 02:51:08 PM »
You've earned all your acceptances Regal. Good luck (though i'm sure you'll fare fine on merit alone).

miguel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
Dear Regal -

I agree with everything you said. But if I may say so, you are going to need a thick skin - such people are everywhere, and will certainly be in law school with you, wherever you decide to choose. People will probably assume your numbers are even lower than they actually are - and you will have to find a way to deal with their subtle and not so subtle jabs. I hope you make it a learning opportunity for them rather then get upset.

I have to admit that personal message thing is pretty lame, though. The internet can be a weird place.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 02:54:41 PM »
What was your major though? If you are engineering, a 2.8 isn't bad. That's above average at my school. LOL. My major wasn't particularly difficult because I was very interested in the subject matter. The only big factor that will make or break someoneís GPA in my major is their time management skills because there are tons of readings and papers to do.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 02:55:12 PM »
Recently, I've been receiving a string of PMS from anonymous users stating that the only reason Iím getting into top law school is because of my URM status. Iím not sure whether to laugh or be insulted.  Not to rehash a topic thatís been beaten to death, but what is wrong with individuals these days? Perhaps law schools saw my application as a whole and wanted to admit me into their schools. People are failing to realize that my LSAT score is higher than 99% of all test takers out there; which including blacks, whites, Asians, and Latinos. There have been white people admitted to the same schools as me with lower scores. Should I automatically assume they were admitted because of the privilege that comes with being white? The sad reality is that some of these close minded, racist people are going to be in law school with me. My disgust has reached an all time high. No matter that I busted my ass working at least 25 hours a week, maintaining a high gap, founding one organization, and being president of four highly active organizations on my campus. Nah law schools didnít take any of that into consideration. The cowards who send me derogatory PMs, you guys are pathetic and ridiculous. Ironically if I was a white girl who got in, it would because of my high stats and overall package. Hypocrites, I canít wait to eat you alive in law schoolÖ

Fugg em.. the beat goes on. Celebrate your acceptance with your loved ones. But you best believe that the pms that you are receiving here are just the beginning of the issues that you're going to have to face once you go to law school. A lot of people including professors will treat you as if you don't belong there. It may be subtle- but it will exist nonetheless.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 02:55:37 PM »
im an economics major.  not super easy, but not tough like engineering

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 02:56:20 PM »

Just think; if race-based admissions policies were done away with, people like you wouldn't have to worry about any of this.

Regal_Muse

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 02:59:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'm just annoyed that people actually still think that way. What makes matters worse is that some of these people are using their own insecurities to attack others.

im an economics major. not super easy, but not tough like engineering

Economics is not easy! Personally I think it's a pretty difficult major. I had to take about four econ classes plus Cal 1&3 b/c that is my my concentration in International Relations. I hated micro. Macro was easier to understand in my opinion.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 03:00:48 PM »
you haven't dealt with this method of thinking at all during your ug study?