Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A thread for LSAT scores below 150  (Read 30221 times)

g825

• View Profile
Re: A thread for LSAT scores below 150
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2005, 05:50:44 PM »
I think I'm in the same boat. LSAT 150/153, which is after spending the 1,000 on Powerscore class. Except that I slacked off my first 2 years of UG so now my GPA is 2.7 (3.1 from school though). My master's degree isn't going to pull me up much (which is completely iritating). I know that I'm a T3 or 4 applicant, which is fine with me. I think for some (and me) that getting into a lower ranked school forces us to work a little harder, not taking it for granted. That's the expectation I will have going in. Ultimately, I just want to be able to decide between at least 2 schools of where I go, even if it's not the schools that I really wanted. Good luck to everyone!

bobo21

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2005, 06:55:28 PM »
Just a note of encouragement.  I took the LSAT, and got a 148.  I have no idea why, I was shocked when I got the score.  I took it a year later, and scored 163.  The conditions were better the first time I took it (i.e, bigger desk, less stress).  The second time I was freaking out because I actually thought I did worse.  I felt good after the first time, and I was nervous about the second.  Then I got the e-mail indicating a 163.  So my advice to someone who scored below 150 and tested higher is to take the test again.  You have very little to lose and don't always know how things will work out.

Now if I could only figure out how the various schools will view the 14 point jump in my score, but that is another thread.

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2005, 06:59:02 PM »
Just a note of encouragement.  I took the LSAT, and got a 148.  I have no idea why, I was shocked when I got the score.  I took it a year later, and scored 163.  The conditions were better the first time I took it (i.e, bigger desk, less stress).  The second time I was freaking out because I actually thought I did worse.  I felt good after the first time, and I was nervous about the second.  Then I got the e-mail indicating a 163.  So my advice to someone who scored below 150 and tested higher is to take the test again.  You have very little to lose and don't always know how things will work out.

Now if I could only figure out how the various schools will view the 14 point jump in my score, but that is another thread.

Bobo - did you study for a year before taking it the second time around? Or was it just because you were in a better state of mind? If you studied, do you mind sharing your secrets?  :D Thanks for sharing your story, it puts my mind at ease and gives me a little encouragement. :)
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

bobo21

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2005, 07:18:59 PM »
I meant to study, but that never really happened.  I always did well on diagnostics, so that 148 really wasn't reflective (but I guess everyone says that) and I decided to lower my expectations, take it again and just apply.  I have been out of school for 5 years and just felt I needed to get it over with. I always did really well on all sections with the exception of the games, so I did focus more on those...

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2005, 08:08:37 PM »
For all those who PMed me...

I will respond in length- just give me a little time.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

DLAW

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2005, 09:03:11 PM »
There is a law school that will accept you guys, even if it may not be the best. Be happy that you will get into some law school. I have many friends who are applying to medical schools and can't even get in one (and thats with decent GPAs and MCATs). They would give their left arm to be accepted even to Bumblef$ck University School of Medicine. They keep telling me how lucky I am that there are law schools out there for "underachievers". They wish it was same in the medical institutions. Just go to law school, study hard, make connections, refine your interviewing skills, and you'll be fine. Don't let these "HYS or bust" clowns on LSD get you down (which they do quite often, even if it is inadvertantly).  Ten years down the road, no one will care, including yourself, which law school you went to. Thats my opinion.
"

XMichiganX

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2005, 12:55:09 AM »
I just wanted to offer the guys on girls on this board my vote of confidence.  I scored a 150 and went to a public university in Michigan. 

There is a difference between us and those geeks who get ulcers hoping for Harvard. We are the ones who probably had some cool friends in college, probably partied some, actually worked because Daddy never gave us the porsche boxer after high school, participated in the real world to some extent, perhaps have families that are more important to us than the Yale admissions yuppie snobs and don't seek our validation or approval from other people.  We understand that our time, family, friends and happiness are more important than how high our school is esteemed in academic circles.

To put it one way, we are real people while they are homework-obsessed drones with poor social skills and poor fashion taste, probably.

There is a law school out there for each of us.  We are not seeking law school in order to give our parents something to brag about at the country club; rather we do it because we will be good at it. Better than the geeks.  In fact, I plan on being a trial attorney and i CAN'T WAIT to meet some of these rich brats in court.  Do you live in the vicinity of a 'top' law school?  Have you visited?  Do you know these kids? DORKS.

I have nothing against those who get into whatever big name school that they are dreaming of.  Good for them.  But I have had way too many lawyers, judges and politicians tell me "it doesn't matter where you go to school, it matters what you do once you pass the bar."

Mark Geragos went to a law school that I've seen ridiculed on this board (Loyola CA) and George W. Bush was a C student.  Love or hate either of these people, they are proof that academics matter very little.  I also know a guy from Harvard law who's really dumb, for what it's worth. 

I am a high school drop out, and proud of it.  I've already gotten a few acceptance letters and I'm going with the school with the nicest weather and prettiest girls, because those are two things that matter to me, not 'alumni giving rate.'  Please.

Anyway, best regards to all of us 150 people and also to those frantically checking lawschoolnumbers.com and running to the mail box.  Relax, you'll never make it as a lawyer if you are this concerned with the admissions process. 

love

150 LSAT in Michigan   
Vote for Pedro.

Tpie82

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2005, 01:27:54 AM »
Ya know...

I fully agree that the rampant elitism which spits around these messageboards is ignorant and annoying (more so xoxo than here).  However, taking it to the opposite extreme and calling everyone applying to Harvard a geek/rich kid is probably even more stupid.  Righteous indignation is fine as long as you don't turn around and use it as an excuse to propagate the same type of garbage.       

XMichiganX

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2005, 01:31:09 AM »
Perhaps, but I get pushed to say such things. 

And yes anyone at Harvard is a geek, it's a requirement.  I've been a high school teacher for 3 years and I've yet to see a cool kid apply there.  But I have seen lots of rich nerds and the occasional math-obsessed outcast.
Vote for Pedro.

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2005, 03:36:25 AM »

Now c'mon Michigan - according to the best dictionary ever (Dictionary.com, of course, what else?), the definition of a dork is "a stupid, inept, or foolish person." On behalf of Harvard, I am deeply, deeply offended.

:P ok no I'm not.

But seriously, if you're talking about the undergrad (which, since you're a high school teacher, you must be?), it may be that you've never met a cool applicant, but I can assure you that lots of the actual students there are amazing, wonderful, fun people.  Some are idiots who get drunk every night and party just like at any other school, some are just nice and hard-working, others are some of the most amazing athletes in the country.  I know this isn't a big deal - I just love the place, and so wanted to stand up for its student body :)  And I actually met very few rich kids (although of course, there were some) - I think over 80% of the student body is on some sort of need-based financial aid. 

Anyway, doubt this changes your opinion - just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in!
HLS