Law School Discussion

A thread for LSAT scores below 150

WOMBAT

A thread for LSAT scores below 150
« on: January 16, 2005, 10:21:21 AM »
Here is a thread for all of the questions and concerns for those of us who have LSAT scores below 150.

Here are my vitals:
LSAT, Dec 04, 148
UGPA 3.44
4.5 Years Work Experience
Decided to apply to law school as a result of life experiences

Here are all of the schools to which I have applied

Buffalo                   
Capital                     
Case Western
Creighton                  
Stetson                     
Tulsa         
Valparaiso      
Widener                  
Willamette                  
Wisconsin      

I am very anxious to hear from a few of these places. I attended UB undergrad so I would be comfortable going to law school there. My father went to Capital back in the 60's so there would be some family pride if I attended Capital.
I can hear Drew's voice right now "Ohio, Ohio Ohio!"

I guess I am curious about a few things:

Obviously with a score like mine you can't apply to Harvard, unless you are Mother Teresa and came back to life. I applied to Wisconsin and Buffalo because I honestly didn't feel like those were stretches. So how did you decide what is and isn't a stretch? Some schools really do value work experience.

I am below the 25% at most schools. But - it's like running from a bear - I don't feel the need to be the best, just not last.

I have friends going through law school at U.Chicago, Columbia, & Boston. They all tell me that I shouldn't go to law school because I won't get a job. I dunno, call me a dreamer, but I still believe that being a nice guy and being able to relate to just about anybody can carry you a long way. I have no "Big Law" plans, and, in fact, didn't have any before I received my LSAT score. I really don't care about money. Ok, I have to stop here or I will go on forever. I'd love to hear from all y'all.

W-W-WOMBAT!

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
Re: A thread for LSAT scores below 150
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 10:45:49 AM »
I also have a low LSAT score. I took it three times, the first time on a whim, I scored a 149 (2002), I took it again in 2002 and scored a 145. I put off law school to get my masters and get a full time job, to see if law school was something I still wanted to pursue. I decided that it was. I studied hard and took it again in June and got a 150. I was disappointed, but it is just not my kind of test. My average is a 148. My UPGA is a 3.39.

I have been working full time since graduation(2 years ago), I was a marketing manager…I just started a new job as a program director at the YWCA. My masters GPA is a 4.0, I will graduate in May. I am currently working on a book chapter on electronic tribalism to go in a book about online communication. I will not go into all the other odds and ends that I have, you can check it out by looking at the link below from law school numbers.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=shadowcreeperz

I applied to part time programs for the most part. Most of the places I applied I have under 25% chance as well. Hopefully my other stuff will help me get into a good school.

Good luck, and do not let your friends get you down. You might not get the Biglaw job, like they will get, but you will get a job. You just have to work harder to get it.

gentoo

• Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 01:50:52 PM »
Yeah, I got a 146 on December's test. :( Unlike you guys, I don't have much work experience except for some managerial PT experience in college and some internships. I am re-taking in February, and hoping for the best. I plan on staying right where I am, so really the only schools I can apply to are Whittier, USD, and Cal Western because they take the higher score (I highly doubt I'm going to score in the 160's on the test) and my only desired school out of those three are Whittier because driving down to San Diego from where I am could take 1 1/2 to 2 hours one way. So if I get into Whittier, I'll be thrilled beyond belief. Besides, my real desire is to work as a DA, my boyfriend's dad is one for LA County and he said it really doesn't matter where you go, as long as you do well. Especially since in a few years the baby boomers are going to be retiring, gov't jobs will be available to virtually anyone who passes the bar. And I realy have no desire for private practice or biglaw anyways. Despite what everyone says, if you go to a regional school, you will get a job...maybe not biglaw, but you will work somewhere. Well, that's my rant, good luck to everyone. :)

p.s. My boyfriend's dad who is the DA said most of his law school classmates who went into biglaw have either already had a heart attack or are died before their 55th birthday. Kinda puts things into perspective.

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 02:05:14 PM »
I scored about 5 to 7 points lower on my actual LSAT also. Since I made the mistake of taking it twice in 2002 without preparing, I really do not want to take it again. I studied my ass off the last time, I took the Princeton Review, and I lived the LSAT. I actually thought I was going to be able to score what I was getting on practice tests(155 to 158) but it just did not happen. Unfortunately I just do not test well. I am hoping that I applied to enough schools and I have enough additional things to offer that I will get accepted somewhere. I can always try to transfer up to a better school after the first year if I want to. If I do not get in anywhere, I am going to wait until my first two scores clear and try again.

If you think you can improve your score, you should give it a shot though...just remember they average so you have to try to be really confident you will go up.

gentoo

• Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 02:08:45 PM »
What are your sub-150 folks going to do?  I was upset with my score since it was about 10 points lower than my prep-tests.  If the admissions round doesn't go so well, I figure I'll retake in June.

Looks like you have a good list going on though, I'm sure you'll get into somewhere. I too scored lower than actual prep tests, about 5 points lower, but I should have known that would happen. If this round doesn't go well for me, I am going to possibly take it in June and re-apply next year. I've realized that maybe that would be a better route for me, since I can gain some WE and devote more time to studying. The hard part is breaking the news to my mom who thinks I will be in law school by September. Oh well, we'll see how things go.

WOMBAT

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 04:23:48 PM »
I have thought about retaking the LSAT. I guess I feel like I don't need to. I don't know why? I guess I figure it's who I am and that's that. Maybe it's because I would like to be a private mediator and I don't see a low LSAT score preventing that.

The funny thing about all of my friends at law school is that they all have dreams of owning Ferrari's and retiring at 40, getting over on some big corp., etc. I will never really understand that.

I have had quite a bit of work experience, and one thing I have learned is that time (to me, at least) is more valuable than money.

I made a lot of money in my first job but had no time to enjoy it. Now, I make nothing but I am home everyday by three. Also something to think about.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 04:25:02 PM »
I can always try to transfer up to a better school after the first year if I want to.

Just because one wants to doesn't mean it will come true. A reminder for some of you who are thinking about transfering (just like many many other soon to be 1Ls), the percentage of people who successfully transfer in each school is probably lower than the percentage of applicants getting into Top 14.

Don't count on it, chances are, you won't be among the top 10 or 5 percent of your class.

FloridaLaw.   8)

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 04:27:36 PM »
I have a GPA of 3.32 and an LSAT of 145. I applied to Whittier, Cal Western, Gonzaga, Willamette, Thomas Jefferson, Denver, and Valpo. The ball is in their court now. I'm sitting back and having a beer....

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 04:29:55 PM »

Don't count on it, chances are, you won't be among the top 10 or 5 percent of your class.

FloridaLaw.   8)

Thanks, but I have no doubt in my mind that I will be in the top 10% of my class, probably not the top 5% but definitely the top 10. I know myself as a student and I know my work ethic. Sure we can't all be at the top of our classes, but people who are at the top in under grad and masters programs tend to stay on the top. We know how to balance school, work, and life. Time management is what drags most people down.

gentoo

• Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 04:30:34 PM »
I have a GPA of 3.32 and an LSAT of 145. I applied to Whittier, Cal Western, Gonzaga, Willamette, Thomas Jefferson, Denver, and Valpo. The ball is in their court now. I'm sitting back and having a beer....

Good luck Mike, let me know how Whittier goes. I am applying in March, hopefully with a higher LSAT.

How was the visit to San Diego? :)