Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Born in the 60s.  (Read 2713 times)

wanderingalaskan

• Sr. Citizen
  • Probably won't have moose in the yard at UT!
    • View Profile
    • WanderingAlaskan's LS info
    • Email
Re: Born in the 60s.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 08:32:32 PM »
Born in 64, graduated HS 82, went to Alaska for adventure, ended up with the fire department as a paramedic after being a ski-bum, gold miner, weather observer and other various employments, finally started college in the 90's, AAS 95, BA 00, MA this spring.

I am getting more and more excited about attending law school every day, and just received my first acceptance (Miami) so it will really happen.

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 02:31:15 AM »
Desmo,

Summer of Love '67, here.  Peace, baby!  You did pretty well on the LSAT if I remember correctly from one of your other posts...

Alaskan,

Maybe we'll meet up in Eugene (applied there myself)...

I don't know if I'm excited about law school- we have our own biz, and it took a lot of time to build it...  This decision is going to be a tough one...

twarga

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 06:34:52 AM »
Born in 64, graduated HS 82, went to Alaska for adventure, ended up with the fire department as a paramedic after being a ski-bum, gold miner, weather observer and other various employments, finally started college in the 90's, AAS 95, BA 00, MA this spring.

;D  My first job in the AF was as a weather observer... I was really bad at it... Is that rain?   ::)

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 11:06:22 AM »
Don't worry about it.  Meteorology is all conjecture anyway.  I used to fly (VFR only).  "1,300 ft. AGL"....yeah, right...try 500.  I barely got out of that one.

wanderingalaskan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 01:26:23 PM »

;D  My first job in the AF was as a weather observer... I was really bad at it... Is that rain?   ::)
LOL!
I fell into the job by having an EMT certificate in a time when oil exploration was rampant throughout Alaska.  When sent out on my first job, I had no idea even how to use the equipment or what to tell the incoming pilots when they requested current conditions. :o

wanderingalaskan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 01:32:02 PM »
Desmo,

Summer of Love '67, here.  Peace, baby!  You did pretty well on the LSAT if I remember correctly from one of your other posts...

Alaskan,

Maybe we'll meet up in Eugene (applied there myself)...

I don't know if I'm excited about law school- we have our own biz, and it took a lot of time to build it...  This decision is going to be a tough one...

Geezer,
Have you visited Eugene?  My wife and I spent a couple days there this past fall, I sat in on a class, toured the campus, etc.  Overall, I had a favorable impression, but the students seem SO young (especially in comparison to Lewis and Clark).

As for the "1300" comment, I still remember being woke up (4am) by a C-130 pilot asking for an update as he was on final and still could not see the strip (when my last observation was 7 miles of visibility).  I looked out the window and could only see one taxi light!

notsofast

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 05:43:43 PM »
Graduted HS in '76.  BS in Economics in '81 (transferred schools and had to make up some required philosophy and theology courses at the Catholic school to which I transferred).  Masters in Health Services Administration in '83.  Passed CPA exam in '91.  Worked in health care since '84.  Was CFO of a $25M hospital-owned subsidiary for six years.  Now a contract negotiator for a $1.5B health care system.  Been thinking about LS for a long time.  Three kids old enough to at least dress and feed themselves.  Scored 152 on LSAT.  Makes me sick.  GPA at degree school was 3.5 but much lower at the school at which I started. Applying to T4, part time evening program.  Only such program in area.  Have no idea if I will be accepted although I understand I have like a 70% chance. Law degree will help with my current position and down the road I can see getting involved in compliance, risk, policy or PI.  Lots of opportunities and flexibility I figure.   Some days I am sure I will be accepted.  Others I am just as sure I will not.  And, I don't know which would be the best outcome.  I thought I had a pretty decent background until I started reading the posts on this site.   ;D

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 05:45:58 PM »
How do you guys know this.

I asked my mom and she said the high was 58 that day but I was born at 8 in the morning so I'd say I was born in the 40s

oh 1979
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Q
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 11:43:40 PM »
Hi Alaskan,

So what happened?!?!...tell, tell- did they scrap the approach?  In my case, I was flying out of an old Navy IFR training airport (Nantucket)- where the weather changes in seconds.  When I got to 1,000 AGL and looked out- I was slicing clouds!  This was my first solo flight.  I actually cried for my mother!  Lucky for me as I was studying for the written exam and remembered that I should pull the power and do two 90 degree turns (this was after I got control of the plane).  After that, I was on my downwind and saw the runway appear through the clouds.  My flying confidence was absolutely SHOT after that experience.  I'm lucky to be around!

Yes, I visited some friends in Eugene in 1990.  They were both graduate students and had a nice university house.  However, I never visited the campus.  Loved the area, though.  From what I read, U. Oregon is a very family-oriented school.  Good luck with your app.  I should be getting a decision soon, myself.

Notsofast- I feel exactly the same way.  It seems that everyone on this site has better numbers than me.  When I first applied, I was cocky because I thought that my age can get me in almost anywhere.  Ha!  I'm humbled!

bradzwest

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »
1969.  I know you guys probably already know...some programs (albeit not always T1 and T2) really dig old farts and WE.  I have full ride T3 and T4 options, all I really wanted and I didn't cure cancer or save any puppies.  Talking directly to some of these programs always helps!  Good luck!