Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Born in the 60s.  (Read 2745 times)

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Born in the 60s.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 08:55:07 AM »
Oh, Twarga!

Nice pic change.  Reminds me of that old Civil Defense film from the early 60s-

"Duck and Cover....Duck and Cover...."

notsofast

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2005, 10:41:14 AM »
1969.  I know you guys probably already know...some programs (albeit not always T1 and T2) really dig old farts and WE.  I have full ride T3 and T4 options, all I really wanted and I didn't cure cancer or save any puppies.  Talking directly to some of these programs always helps!  Good luck!

OK, so when you talk directly to these programs who do you talk to and what do you say? I am surprised that the schools are open to direct contacts since everyone applying would want to do that.???

bradzwest

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2005, 11:46:29 AM »
I started researching law schools quite a while back...been in my thought process for several years.  I identified schools with age ranges that were younger than me and were apt to have
enrollments that had little WE and not many people with California degrees.  These are T3's and T4's... I sent e-mails or visited their directors of admissions, there were five in all.  Two were interested and we struck up correspondence over a few month period.  I just made it plain that I would be interested in public service and needed financial help to achieve my goals (my professional background supports this).  One quickly offered full tuition another in-state tuition.  You would be surprised how eager lower tiered schools are to lock up applicants that show some iniative in a positive manner.  I wasn't pushy, just sought their help.  Never hurts to ask!  Honesty, a few manners, and just plain not jerking people around can work...I'm proof.  If I can be any further help...drop me a message!

twarga

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 11:54:19 AM »
Oh, Twarga!

Nice pic change. Reminds me of that old Civil Defense film from the early 60s-

"Duck and Cover....Duck and Cover...."

I've had to do this at least once a year for the past 12 years.  Exercise. Exercise. Exercise!   :P

alkiremays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 10:39:36 AM »
1969.  I know you guys probably already know...some programs (albeit not always T1 and T2) really dig old farts and WE.  I have full ride T3 and T4 options, all I really wanted and I didn't cure cancer or save any puppies.  Talking directly to some of these programs always helps!  Good luck!

Do they really?  1969 here.  35 with 2 small kids and one 35-year-old kid - boy that sounds positive... I took the LSATs the first time in 1993 - didn't really study and got a 153.  Wouldn't you know that 11 years later after one week of trying to study, I got a 153.  Really thought I'd do better because I was consistently doing 165 on the practice tests.  3.3 UGPA (took me 7 years at night, mostly 4 nights a week, full-time and part-time jobs the whole time).  Really good work experience.  Now I don't know how I'm going to quit my job and go - that is if they let me in.  The longer it takes to hear, the more I get depressed and wonder how I'll pull off this massive change in life.

bradzwest

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2005, 10:52:33 AM »

Do they really?  1969 here.  35 with 2 small kids and one 35-year-old kid - boy that sounds positive... I took the LSATs the first time in 1993 - didn't really study and got a 153.  Wouldn't you know that 11 years later after one week of trying to study, I got a 153.  Really thought I'd do better because I was consistently doing 165 on the practice tests.  3.3 UGPA (took me 7 years at night, mostly 4 nights a week, full-time and part-time jobs the whole time).  Really good work experience.  Now I don't know how I'm going to quit my job and go - that is if they let me in.  The longer it takes to hear, the more I get depressed and wonder how I'll pull off this massive change in life.

Still very early in the process... good luck!

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2005, 11:03:12 AM »
The more they make me wait, the less I want go...

Have to do the financial aid and scholarship forms- I keep putting them off, because I want to know who will accept me before I make any more effort on this whole process.  Some forms ask for MORE essays...

Sometimes I think it'll be a lot easier to just stay here and keep running our business...

Ganko o-yaji (stubborn old man), I've become....

alkiremays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2005, 11:44:28 AM »
Hell I still need to start the nagging process to get my husband to compile his receipts.  Then I have to estimate my taxes on 1099 and W-2 that aren't here yet.  Just what I want to do.  There is no easy way for me to estimate my taxes with a self-employed spouse. 

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2005, 10:02:56 AM »
Alkiremays-

My spouse is self-employed as a Japanese national with a Japanese company.  What to do?  This FAFSA thing is giving me stomach acid!  I wish I knew which schools will accept me- it would save a lot of work with nine apps. still pending...

alkiremays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2005, 10:29:52 AM »
Well you've reminded me that I need to call the idiot with Amex Tax and Business who did ours last year and tell her to hurry up.  I just got my W-2 in the mail 2 days ago.  My husband's got to gather his receipts yet though.  I'd say if you normally have someone do them for you, you should contact them now and explain that you need, at a minimum, an estimate.  If you do them yourself, get cracking?  I'm one to talk - I've done nothing - maybe this weekend?

Haven't heard anything from any of them?  I've basically decided if I don't get into my top pick I'm going to retake the LSATs in June (after a course) and try for next year.  Its a difference between a Tier 1 and a Tier 4 in my neighborhood. I could go PT at the Tier 4 but my gut is telling me to aim high?