Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Born in the 60s.  (Read 2600 times)

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Born in the 60s.
« on: January 16, 2005, 07:17:32 AM »
Just wondering how everyone is doing.  As for myself (37), I have weak numbers, but a lot of international, corporate, own biz and family experience.  Most of all, I have drive. Will it make a difference?  I don't know, but I hope it will make a difference...

Applied to 3 T1, 4 T2 and 2 T3 schools.

Hoping for U. Maine or U. Hawaii (I know- diagonal, but I came from New England and now live in Japan with an 'international' family).

So- what's your story?  How was the LSAT?  Are the acceptances coming in?  Nothing here, but will let you know...

twarga

Re: Born in the 60s.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 10:32:45 AM »
I'm a happy Harvard hopeful, and I'm real!  I'd go in a heartbeat if they'd have me. 

As far as schools seeing you for what you really are?  You need to write a kick-*ss personal statement that will clue them in.  Otherwise, it won't make a bit of difference.  I wrote two, and included a resume.  I figured it couldn't hurt. 

I studied my *ss off for the LSAT and it paid off.  Every lunch hour for 3+ months.

I graduated h.s. in 88, dropped out of college in 91, joined the A.F. in 92, got associates from Community College of A.F. in meteorology in 95, switched to reserves in 97, went back to school p.t. (U. Iowa) in 98, graduated in 02, earned paralegal certificate from Penn State and paralegal associates from Community College of A.F. in 02, as well.  Lots of A.F. medals, ribbons, awds. (including paralegal of the year for whole A.F Reserve) in 03.

In at Widener and Rutgers-Camden.  Pending at Temple, Villanova, Harvard and U Penn.

twarga

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 11:05:05 AM »
I'm like you in that family comes first.  R-C is a no-go for the reason you stated above.  Widener is a much friendlier campus on sooooo many levels.  Actually, although Widener is tier 4 and my other choices are tier 1 and 2, the only school I'll ditch Widener for is Harvard.  I hated Philly enough to mentally cross Temple and U Penn right off my list.  I loved Villanova, but they don't have housing and it's double the distance of Widener.

Funny, isn't it, how when we're old and grey with spouses and babies, we choose a law school based on logistics and family harmony?  These sure weren't considerations when I was 18 and looking at colleges.   ;)  It was more like, "Where's the beer?"

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 11:28:15 AM »
I totally agree with you.  I don't know a lot about Widener, actually nothing (sorry), but if they're going to give you a free ride, I'd take it!  However, if Harvard accepts...well, life is short...why not!

My children are half-Japanese, so Hawaii makes sense, but I have a personal thing about going back to New England (not MA).  Portland is growing and hip because MA real estate is too expensive for all of the professionals- it'll be a good market and a great place for a family in years to come.  Perhaps you might want to give U. Maine a thought- winters in IA are about the same.

And yes, where's the beer?  Would die for a filet mignon and a Sam Adams draught right now (been in Japan too long).  Have to settle for Asahi and sashimi. It's 1:30 a.m.- off to bed, will read posts tomorrow!

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 11:56:37 AM »
Just wondering how everyone is doing.  As for myself (37), I have weak numbers, but a lot of international, corporate, own biz and family experience.  Most of all, I have drive. Will it make a difference?  I don't know, but I hope it will make a difference...

Applied to 3 T1, 4 T2 and 2 T3 schools.

Hoping for U. Maine or U. Hawaii (I know- diagonal, but I came from New England and now live in Japan with an 'international' family).

So- what's your story?  How was the LSAT?  Are the acceptances coming in?  Nothing here, but will let you know...

Chad

I can relate.  I do not have great LSAT numbers and Harvard is not on my radar screen.  I am 35, married with two children. Graduated high school in 1988, joined the Navy and served 1 year but received honorable medical discharge.  Went to college and graduated in 1995.  I have a strong personal statement.  After graduation in 1995, I began working as a paralegal and have been working since.  I have worked on large real estate deals with Trump and also learned alot working for a smaller firm.  I now work for a large firm in Wall Street.  I have concern about getting a job since the only two schools that I think are reaches are New York Law School and Pace. 

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 09:36:45 PM »
Young'uns....

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 11:00:05 PM »
Rocky,

Crusty old folks like you  ;D make me feel much better about it all...  Congratulations on your acceptance!

Jim, good luck with those N.Y. schools, perhaps some people that you work with graduated from them (strings can pulled!).  I'm sure you have built quite a nice law network over the years- positions should come easy after graduation- one would think...

geni

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »
Born in 1970... so I'm off by a year.   ;)

My story:
I graduated h.s. in '88, dropped out of college in '91, got married in '94.  I'm a mom of 3 kids (ages 10, 5, and 3).  After my last child was born I decided that I needed to figure out what to do career-wise (once they were all off at school).  So, I began taking online classes to work on my undergrad degree... and I will finally earn my BBA in March (2 classes to go!).  I am a stay-at-home soccer mom, I have attended school full-time for the last 2 1/2 years, and I work 60-70 hours per week providing daycare from my home. 

My undergrad GPA still suffers from my freshman year slacker-days.  It is a 3.42 according to LSAC (but I will have a 4.0 from my degree-granting school).  My LSAT is 161.

I have one acceptance so far... University of Akron.  I'm hoping to be accepted to Arizona State, though, so I don't have to move my whole family across country.   ;D

plumbert

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 07:42:22 PM »
Graduated high school early in '86 (I just turned 36 not even a month ago), got kicked out of the house and moved to the other coast, worked in a library, just got by, moved back to this coast, put my life back together, worked in a law firm as a library tech/receptionist for six years, put myself through community college full-time at night while working full-time at the firm, graduated 4.0 magna cum laude and valedictorian/salutatorian, transferred to UCLA, graduated cum laude in December '01, moved back up to NorCal and have been working at an architectural firm during the whole prep, LSAT, and application phases. I was accepted to a couple schools last year in New York but my partner of six years scotched the move at the last minute so I'm applying to local schools this time around. I'm hoping I have a chance with adcomms.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »
Born in '67  - This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius, age of Aquarius, Aquariuussss

Well you get the idea.

going for PT at local T2 just cause I don't have enough to do in the evenings -  :D