Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I did't enslave anyone! Why cannot people get in based upon merit?  (Read 17309 times)

jujubee

• View Profile
Re: I did't enslave anyone! Why cannot people get in based upon merit?
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2005, 04:23:09 PM »
This subject is ridiculous! People DO get in based on merit, and other factors as well.

I believe in racial/social equity and I don't think that AA is the best way to handle the situation. It's our reaction to the inequality that Blacks have had to face. Law schools are trying to fix that. I personally believe that equality should start from the very beginning. For instance, more funding for inner-city schools that are dominated by Blacks. We need to fix the problem from its roots not necessarily at the university level when Blacks have already faced much inequality. Also, I could not afford to pay for a commercial LSAT prep course and studied on my own. Blacks overall have a harder time financing such prep courses as well.

I took a whole course on AA. I could go on forever. Please share your thoughts too!

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2005, 04:32:02 PM »
This subject is ridiculous! People DO get in based on merit, and other factors as well.

I believe in racial/social equity and I don't think that AA is the best way to handle the situation. It's our reaction to the inequality that Blacks have had to face. Law schools are trying to fix that. I personally believe that equality should start from the very beginning. For instance, more funding for inner-city schools that are dominated by Blacks. We need to fix the problem from its roots not necessarily at the university level when Blacks have already faced much inequality. Also, I could not afford to pay for a commercial LSAT prep course and studied on my own. Blacks overall have a harder time financing such prep courses as well.

I took a whole course on AA. I could go on forever. Please share your thoughts too!

I think this is a really good point. AA in college admissions is about 18 years too late. By then,  most kids are already too far behind. Yes, the advantage can help them get into college, but it won't necessarily help them succeed beyond that. They need the boost when they're BEGINNING their education, not when they've completed the bulk of it.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2005, 04:36:34 PM »
please correct me.. based on my ignorance with only 1 sociology class.

was it my imagination, but were there mainly 3 paradigms: (1) functional, (2) conflict, (3) forgot-the-name.

granted this was well over 10 years ago, so my memory is bad, but basically it seemed like the explanations within the conflict paradigm were almost always self-evident.  The process was very simple. (1) identify the effect... ie: there is a difference in societal structures and (2) assume this must be do to some conflict or injustice (hence the name of the paradigm).  Under this paradigm it invariably seems like the causes will always be related to the larger group doing something subversive/antagonistic against the less powerful group.

what is taboo is to entertain the possibility that there are certain values within the group that also provide equivalent effects as the inter-group conflicts.  I hated the fact they always had little astericks and sidenotes for jews, asians, and other immigrant groups.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2005, 04:38:39 PM »
I think this is a really good point. AA in college admissions is about 18 years too late. By then,  most kids are already too far behind. Yes, the advantage can help them get into college, but it won't necessarily help them succeed beyond that. They need the boost when they're BEGINNING their education, not when they've completed the bulk of it.

doesnt everyone agree to this?  

the issue is that some say, well b/c extra help is not given to them early on (or doesnt happen often enough and as well as it should during those early stages), therefore we should have policies such as those of URM in law school while others say this doesnt alleviate the problem at all.  at best it does nothing for these URM as a group.  at worst it has adverse effects on the very URM groups that these policies aim to help.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2005, 04:40:12 PM »

Well apparently not because there's a much bigger push for AA in college admissions than there is for increased Pre-K programs in black areas.

jujubee

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2005, 04:43:18 PM »
well then we need a strong voice for K-12 just like we've had one for college admissions. it just doesn't make sense to me to fix the problem so late.

this is the downside to AA- Blacks may not get 100% credit because others think that they don't deserve their position in higher education.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2005, 04:44:20 PM »

Well apparently not because there's a much bigger push for AA in college admissions than there is for increased Pre-K programs in black areas.

that just shows that politicians take the easier route.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: definitive post
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2005, 04:45:54 PM »
the definitive work on this subject already happened in THIS thread:

i dont begin to understand your point.

maricutie

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2005, 05:15:33 PM »
Without trying to offend anyone, all Tron is alluding to is that this has all been discussed before. It will really be surprising to hear something different here than anything that has already been discussed at length in the previous AA postings. Not to say I couldn't be proven wrong ... just saying that I haven't been so far. 

jujubee

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2005, 05:21:08 PM »
i'm sure this topic has already been discussed, just like many other topics. however, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed again/further. new people have new opinions. this is a discussion board.