Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I did't enslave anyone! Why cannot people get in based upon merit?  (Read 18039 times)

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Re: I did't enslave anyone! Why cannot people get in based upon merit?
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2005, 01:59:22 AM »
I would probably do the same thing.  I was more referring to admissions and just generally sympathy and concern. And really no matter how you spend time helping others it is an admirable thing. There really isnít a right or wrong group to help, it is all a matter of where your passion, energy, and heart are.

Yeah - the part where it gets tricky and the debate turns ugly is what to do with *COMMUNAL* resources (e.g. tax dollars). If uncle sam has $1,000,000 extra sitting around some folk are going to want to spend that money investigating anorexia among middle class teen girls and how to prevent it. While a laudable goal if it didn't cost anything, i'd much rather spend that $1,000,000 on job training for poor families.

THAT'S where the real debate and frustration starts to bubble up. I guess that's what politics is all about.

Well we could always tax plastic surgery and diamond studded dog collars and probably solve the whole deficit problem to boot.

In all seriousness I agree that we should spend resources more on helping the poor and disadvantaged. The problems of the well off donít so much seem to be those of resource, but of love and family. These are not things that government can really solve.

Koga

• Sr. Citizen
  • K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2005, 04:55:01 AM »

First of all, anorexia is as self-inflicted as depression or schizophrenia or obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I usually agree with your posts, but comparing anorexia with schizophrenia is obscene.

So only poor people can truly suffer? Look, I'll be the first to be sympathetic towards people who are disadvantaged, but that's a very narrow-minded way of looking at the world.

This I agree with.  Anyone who says that a rich kid stuck with schizophrenia or even serious bipolar disorder is not as disadvantaged as someone raised in poverty(at least poverty in the US) is absurd.
Recipient of the SPD Christmas Concussion.

Trevor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • T Sinister
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2005, 05:01:54 AM »
Yeah - the part where it gets tricky and the debate turns ugly is what to do with *COMMUNAL* resources (e.g. tax dollars and law school entrance). If uncle sam has $1,000,000 extra sitting around some folk are going to want to spend that money investigating anorexia among middle class teen girls and how to prevent it. While a laudable goal if it didn't cost anything, i'd much rather spend that $1,000,000 on job training for poor families.
I absolutely agree.  Sadly, I don't have $1m to donate to anybody, so all I have to offer is my compassion and understanding to people I know personally.  That stuff comes for free, so it seems stingy to save it for just the po' folks.

BigTex

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2005, 09:00:01 AM »
so all I have to offer is my compassion and understanding to people I know personally. 

I don't personally know the broken 90210 family with the anorexic daughter.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2005, 09:11:32 AM »

First of all, anorexia is as self-inflicted as depression or schizophrenia or obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I usually agree with your posts, but comparing anorexia with schizophrenia is obscene.

So only poor people can truly suffer? Look, I'll be the first to be sympathetic towards people who are disadvantaged, but that's a very narrow-minded way of looking at the world.

This I agree with.  Anyone who says that a rich kid stuck with schizophrenia or even serious bipolar disorder is not as disadvantaged as someone raised in poverty(at least poverty in the US) is absurd.

I was just saying that both anorexia and schizophrenia are mental disorders. I didn't mean to imply that they're the same.

I don't mean that rich people are more deserving of sympathy, or that they are deserving of sympathy to the exclusion of anyone else. But isn't it possible to feel sorry for more than one group of people? Some people suffer no matter how much money they have, some problems have nothing to do with money, and a person's bank account balance shouldn't be the indicator of how much we can feel bad for them. How much money does a family have to make when you no longer feel sorry for them? $25,000 a year? $50,000? $100,000?

Giffy put it well, and this is what I was partially getting at : "Sufficient material means is necessary for completely beneficial environment but it is no were near sufficient. Some one who is born to a family of means but no love may be just as bad off as someone who is born to a family of love, but no means."

This has nothing to do with college admissions or anything like that (that's another issue entirely), just strictly human kindness. I can have sympathy for the rich kid who has never experienced any kind of love or compassion while also feeling sorry for the poor family struggling to get ahead. I don't have a limited amount of sympathy or kindness that has to be rationed out to the most deserving.

BigTex

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2005, 03:31:54 PM »
I can have sympathy for the rich kid who has never experienced any kind of love or compassion while also feeling sorry for the poor family struggling to get ahead. I don't have a limited amount of sympathy or kindness that has to be rationed out to the most deserving.

I can't speak for the rich folk, but i'm pretty sure the poor folk aren't interested in your sympathy (not intending that as mean, just matter-of-fact). It's irrelevant to them. What they want is your tax dollars for job training, education, etc.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2005, 03:52:57 PM »
I can have sympathy for the rich kid who has never experienced any kind of love or compassion while also feeling sorry for the poor family struggling to get ahead. I don't have a limited amount of sympathy or kindness that has to be rationed out to the most deserving.

I can't speak for the rich folk, but i'm pretty sure the poor folk aren't interested in your sympathy (not intending that as mean, just matter-of-fact). It's irrelevant to them. What they want is your tax dollars for job training, education, etc.

Of course - who doesn't want my tax dollars, rich or poor? Anyway, that's not what I was talking about.

BigTex

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »

Of course - who doesn't want my tax dollars, rich or poor? Anyway, that's not what I was talking about.

I know. I was just pointing out how, in a way, sympathy, and whether or not one has sympathy for a given group, is irrelevant. Sympathy doesn't really *do* anything.

Trevor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • T Sinister
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2005, 04:52:02 PM »
If you don't interact with them perosnally, then no it doesn't.

Hey guess what?  This thread got hijacked away from AA!  Yay!

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2005, 05:00:46 PM »
If you don't interact with them perosnally, then no it doesn't.

Hey guess what?  This thread got hijacked away from AA!  Yay!

Success!