Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I did't enslave anyone! Why cannot people get in based upon merit?  (Read 17275 times)

BigTex

Re: I did't enslave anyone! Why cannot people get in based upon merit?
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2005, 08:39:36 PM »
AA is, by definition, racist. 

In that case, you win.

aram

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2005, 11:45:44 PM »
What do you guys think?

On average would a person with a higher GPA and a higher LSAT become a better lawyer than a lower GPA and a lower LSAT? (Remember the question asks on average)

If yes, than any URM practice on law school level will have the corresponding results on average.

Whoever answers no, needs to call the admissions offices of all the law schools and tell them that the policy that they are using for admission is incorrect.

Trevor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • T Sinister
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2005, 04:30:42 AM »
Actually, I have personally enslaved several people that I took prisoner in battle with a neighboring city-state.  This doesn't appear to have appreciably diminished my chances for admission.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2005, 06:24:33 AM »
that's a good point.. what's the best student law association to be a member of?  i'll have to work on getting a girlfriend

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2005, 10:17:18 AM »
What do you guys think?

On average would a person with a higher GPA and a higher LSAT become a better lawyer than a lower GPA and a lower LSAT? (Remember the question asks on average)

If yes, than any URM practice on law school level will have the corresponding results on average.

Whoever answers no, needs to call the admissions offices of all the law schools and tell them that the policy that they are using for admission is incorrect.

Your question is flawed because you are assuming that the average URM has the same chance of doing well on these things then the average white person.

While generally I would say that GPA and LSAT are an accurate way of predicting LS success, they are not perfect. For instance just because some one can afford to take an LSAT prep that doe not mean they will do better in LS or as a lawyer. Same with someone who didn't have to work during college vs. someone who did. The point your missing is that on average the life of an URM has been more difficult and there abilities to succeed have been less then your average white person. However as just about everyone I have ever talked to has acknowledged including SE status in AA would make it a much better system.

buster

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2005, 10:19:41 AM »
$10 says the OP enslaved some people

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2005, 04:14:06 PM »
$10 says the OP enslaved some people

:D :D

Yeah, "I didn't enslave anyone"... that's what they all say. Tell it to the judge.

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2005, 06:07:34 PM »
Wait.......are we talkin about sex slaves?  ???
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2005, 08:18:06 PM »
BOOOOOORRRRRIIIIIIINNNGGGG!
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2005, 10:00:21 PM »
"First of all", I'll trivialize any self-inflicted disease I care too.... whether that be crack addiction or anorexia.

I feel no sympathy to socio-economically well-off (well off socially is white, well off economically is rich) people who have the problems you mentioned.  They're rich because their dad works all the time.  They'd be poor if he didn't.  So you're going to have one of the problems..... better to be miserable and rich than miserable and poor.

HTH

First of all, anorexia is as self-inflicted as depression or schizophrenia or obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Second what is this, "I feel no sympathy to socio-economically well-off people who have those problems"? Wow, I didn't realize you had to be below a certain income level to be deserving of human kindness and empathy. So only poor people can truly suffer? Look, I'll be the first to be sympathetic towards people who are disadvantaged, but that's a very narrow-minded way of looking at the world.