Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I did't enslave anyone! Why cannot people get in based upon merit?  (Read 17482 times)

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Re: I did't enslave anyone! Why cannot people get in based upon merit?
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2005, 06:12:11 PM »
she's a bigot who thinks migrants, dentists, lesbians, and engineers are all the same

There not??? I guess I shouldn't seek out mexican women with pocket protectors at gay bars for dental work anymore.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2005, 06:17:21 PM »
Sigh. No, it's just ... the reaction that I have to the points that continue to be made is to simply cut-and-paste my responses to earlier comments. I agree that discussions like these will spur intellectual development and debate ... I just don't see the point of dragging up exact questions that have been discussed less than a month prior. Seriously, do a search for the AA posts during MLK weekend. We were on a marathon. I, as well as many more viewers, I'm sure, just get a strange sense of deja vu every once in awhile. 

i dont get this...then dont read it and/or dont respond ???

I read this because occasionally I feel like I will be surprised. Likewise, I assume that people post their questions after having done some research of their own. And I respond with such referrals to previous threads in the hope of answering people's questions that have been answered before.

Easier now?

not really. 

i dont understand at all how this post addresses the "I just don't see the point of dragging up exact questions that have been discussed less than a month prior. Seriously, do a search for the AA posts during MLK weekend. We were on a marathon. I, as well as many more viewers, I'm sure, just get a strange sense of deja vu every once in awhile."  there you say that you dont understand why people have to drag up the same issues that have been discussed before.  now you are explaining why you might reference someone to a previous discussion thread in case they are also interested in reading those as well.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2005, 10:27:07 PM »
Wait, wouldn't my African-American friends be least in need of Black Awareness?

But happy Black Awareness Month to all of you, regardless. :)

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2005, 12:24:54 AM »
I was actually not aware that there were any black people. jk

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2005, 05:36:27 PM »
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

boogie77

• View Profile
    • Culture Remix
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2005, 01:33:24 PM »
I could be late...if so please forgive me. There are many types different types of A.A. action...the "best"-that which almost insures your acceptance--is if your a rich white male, or your family donates alot of money to the institution--which is usually a white family...most blacks in 2005 are only 1 and 2nd generation college students, and are likely 1st generation law students.

Furthermore, there are many unoffical forms of A.A. that benifits whites outside of academia, that translate into advantages for whites. Research the act of gerrymandering, redlining, and the history of the G.I. bill, and find out who benifits the most from these actions- hint its not white women, or any other minority group.

Lastly, someone had an excellent post about the history of being "white"...I think on page one...thanks for knowing your history. If you don't want to read about the history of "white"--and who was or was not "white", check out Gangs of New York.

Remember future lawyers...we do not live in a present that is not heavily influenced by the past. Also, to white men, blacks and other minorities aren't always the one's taking you slots at the "top" academic institutions. G.W. Bush is a perfect example of this...did he deserve to go to Yale or Harvard? Was it based on Merit? If you believe so...convince me...without conservative rhetoric...based on numbers and g.p.a.