Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I did't enslave anyone! Why cannot people get in based upon merit?  (Read 17694 times)

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: I did't enslave anyone! Why cannot people get in based upon merit?
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2005, 05:26:41 PM »
i'm sure this topic has already been discussed, just like many other topics. however, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed again/further. new people have new opinions. this is a discussion board.

also, to the extent that rehashed topics allow individuals to clarify their thinking and logic, getting into this discussion over and over is a good thing.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2005, 05:28:12 PM »
Without trying to offend anyone, all Tron is alluding to is that this has all been discussed before. It will really be surprising to hear something different here than anything that has already been discussed at length in the previous AA postings. Not to say I couldn't be proven wrong ... just saying that I haven't been so far. 

lol--yes i know that :).  but as i said before, so what?  if someone says "i dont care to discuss this, i've discussed this many times before" they have a point.  but that a discussion has occurred 101 times before therefore why discuss again, that really doesnt make much sense.  

take a question any person who has the slightest belief in G-d (and even many that dont) asks again and again.  why do bad things happen to good people?  the question has been discussed to death (no pun intended).  no one would ever say, you know this has been discussed millions of times (literally) why are you discussing this again?  there are of course many large differences between this and AA/URM but the salient feature is that they are on people's minds.

to say, it has been discussed over and over again therefore why are you discussing again is really a rather stupid thing to say.

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2005, 05:29:45 PM »
OK, well if someone has talked about it before, then there's no point in me talking about it.

maricutie

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2005, 05:36:12 PM »
Sigh. No, it's just ... the reaction that I have to the points that continue to be made is to simply cut-and-paste my responses to earlier comments. I agree that discussions like these will spur intellectual development and debate ... I just don't see the point of dragging up exact questions that have been discussed less than a month prior. Seriously, do a search for the AA posts during MLK weekend. We were on a marathon. I, as well as many more viewers, I'm sure, just get a strange sense of deja vu every once in awhile. 

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2005, 05:38:42 PM »
I don't know if this has already been brought up, but I don't see the fairness in having AA for anyone but African-Americans who have been in this country for several generations and Native Americans.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2005, 05:39:06 PM »
Sigh. No, it's just ... the reaction that I have to the points that continue to be made is to simply cut-and-paste my responses to earlier comments. I agree that discussions like these will spur intellectual development and debate ... I just don't see the point of dragging up exact questions that have been discussed less than a month prior. Seriously, do a search for the AA posts during MLK weekend. We were on a marathon. I, as well as many more viewers, I'm sure, just get a strange sense of deja vu every once in awhile. 

i dont get this...then dont read it and/or dont respond ???

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2005, 05:41:58 PM »
I don't know if this has already been brought up, but I don't see the fairness in having AA for anyone but African-Americans who have been in this country for several generations and Native Americans.

you familiar with migrant workers?

Why don't you explain it to me?

maricutie

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2005, 05:50:22 PM »

i dont get this...then dont read it and/or dont respond ???

I read this because occasionally I feel like I will be surprised. Likewise, I assume that people post their questions after having done some research of their own. And I respond with such referrals to previous threads in the hope of answering people's questions that have been answered before.

Easier now?

WoeIsMe

« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2005, 06:00:26 PM »
she's a bigot who thinks migrants, dentists, lesbians, and engineers are all the same

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2005, 06:02:59 PM »
she's a bigot who thinks migrants, dentists, lesbians, and engineers are all the same
yes, that's true.

no, I am familiar with them, I just don't see how that should fit into affirmative action. Similarly, I don't think there should be affirmative action for women.