Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey, is anyone else playing World of Warcraft?  (Read 2049 times)

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, is anyone else playing World of Warcraft?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005, 12:58:04 AM »
Yeah, we know about this site. As i stated before (i think) we are nerds/losers.

Hey, if you like FF midis, goodadvice, you should check out The Black Mages. It's a live band with Nobuo Uematsu(the FF music composer) in it and they play live versions of FF songs.

I think this is the lamest thread that has ever graced LSD.

LOL, it is.  and despite the nerdiness already spewed forth, im ashamed to admit i have a black mages cd.

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005, 02:31:23 AM »
Dang jlf, where were you when I was playing D2? We couldve started our own female only clan. ;) I'd play WoW, but alas, my video card sucks.

My D2 characters of choice were always my MF sorc or javazon. Theres was nothing more satisfying than going into hell cows and singlehandedly decimating a herd with your LF. Ahh...memories...
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

RocketBot

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2005, 08:47:39 AM »
Casca, definitely go for WoW.  The universe is so much more immersive and consistent, the classes much more clearly cut and useful, the professions more straightforward, and the questing/grouping system is far beyond anything else.  The art direction is also absolutely fantastic.

Not to mention the item system is Diablo 2's, with of course additions and improvements-- huge emphasis on finding, crafting, enchanting and discovering unique and cool items.  The fully functioning auction house system is of course pure glory.

But yea, don't go for EQ2.  Every single one of my EQ-playing friends plays WoW now, and they all say it is much better (took them a little while to get over their elitism, of course, since they strongly wanted to believe that WoW dumbed down the genre, when it does no such thing...  now they all have 6 month subscriptions haha)

This thread reaffirms my faith in the law crowd.  Finding people to nerd it up with in a class of ~200 I assume is quite difficult, hah.

BTW jlf, I'm Braise on Stonemaul :)

BlueGirl

• I miss the squirrel...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2005, 09:04:18 AM »
Items in EQ2 are very unexciting.  They all have the same basic stats.  You should probably play WoW if you can manage to get (and afford) a copy.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2005, 11:25:07 AM »
I play EQ and WOW, but I like EQ much better because I like to group and find it hard to maintain groups in WOW. It seems like once the quests are done, people do their own thing. I have been playing EQ for a few years. I have characters ranging from a 66 rouge to a 45 cleric. MMORPG's are just a great release. I am doing my graduate thesis on relationship development and introvet/extroverts in EQ and WOW. I am also working on a book chapter about MMORPG guilds that focuses on the aspects of electronic tribalism. The book should be out in August! :) Scholarship on my hobbies... can't beat that! Is anyone still playing EQ?
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2005, 11:45:44 AM »
ok i think im leaning towards wow now.  i looked at some items databases and it seems like wow is more like diablo2 in terms of item progression.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2005, 12:20:07 PM »
It is very close to diablo 2. The items in WOW are very nice, and pretty easy to get and upgrade.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2005, 12:22:49 PM »
shadowcreeper, what are the items like in everquest?  there must be some really rare items that only high level characters can get, right?  or is the focus not so much on upgrading your characters gear?

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2005, 12:35:11 PM »
The items in EQ range a lot. There are both high end quest and drop items. Money is much easier to come by in EQ than it is in WOW. My cleric makes easy cash resurecting and buffing others. My necro makes decent money soloing items and finding peoples lost corpses. Almost every class has their own specialty in making money. Upgrading gear is important, but it is not as important as leveling the character. The game is so ecnompassing and social that gear is not everything for people. Some people like to level, some like to chat with their guilds, or go on raids, some like trade skills, some like buying items in the bazar. There is just so much stuff to do and so many ways to spend time in the game. I think that is why it is so popular, it has something for everyone.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2005, 12:39:29 PM »
thanks for the info.  eq does seem like it has broader appeal, but i enjoy the "carrot in front of my face" format, where im always playing to find something bigger and better for my characters. thats what got me addicted to diablo 2, and i think wow will offer the same feeling more so than eq will.