Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Paralegals Taking the Leap?  (Read 3792 times)

twarga

Re: Any Paralegals Taking the Leap?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2005, 07:37:11 PM »
Absolutely, it is why I went into the field!  We definitely have an advantage!  Who can stand making such little money (in comparison) for doing essentially the same work?1  I am in-house, so the lawyer-paralegal line gets blurred much more often than in a firm (I think).  Rather than a "leap" I look at it as the next logical step.  I cannot wait!  Doing it part-time at my first choice!

Best of luck to you all!

My point exactly!  I'm already doing the work, now gimme the money!

letmeindamnit2006

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2005, 05:06:40 PM »
I am definitely taking the leap after working eight years as a paralegal.  I think my working for such a long period of time before going to law school has helped me a great deal.  It may not help as much for the first year classes but I think it will be looked upon more favorably for getting a summer associate position.  Whereas someone with no law firm experience may be a little shell shocked by the experience, a paralegal with firm experience can just jump in and get to work.  Are you going to continue to work while going to school?  I plan on not working at all my first year and then pick up some part-time work later. 

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2005, 01:47:18 PM »
I worked as a paralegal over the last year.  I am not certified, but my employer financed paralegal classes for me.  I think it will help give me some perspective, and I know the basic vocab.  I think it depends a lot on the type of office.  In some offices paralegals are glorified secretaries.  I worked in an office where we did everything from discovery, research, judgments, settlement offers, talking to clients & O/C, pleadings, ect. 

By no means do I think this will make a huge diff. in my law school performance.  If anything I have been told paralegals are often disliked for their "better than" attitude at law school.  I plan to leave my ego at the door, and not tell ppl. about it.  Granted I only did it for 1 year.

jacquet

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2005, 10:43:19 PM »
I'm currently majoring in Paralegal Studies and will graduate next May. I currently have no law office experience, but I went to talk to my local D.A. and he will let me work for him during the rest of the summer, unpaid.  I also start my paralegal internship in Spring 2006.  I want to take the leap to lawschool, but I want to get the experience as a paralegal as well.  I want to become certified after graduation and work while I attend school.  Like most of you all said, I don't think being a paralegal gives you an advantage in lawschool, but I have had all my professors who are lawyers tell me that paralegals saved their butts many days and sometimes knows the law and procedures better than they do.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2005, 07:53:19 AM »
I think being a paralegal will help at the beginning with legal research, terms, etc., but everyone will catch up quickly and it will be a level playing field before long.  That's why I don't think it's worth it to brag about my experience.  It might turn some people off, and since the benefits are temporary, why bother?

I'm getting that 'butterfies in the stomach' feeling about it now... less than two months away.  Wheeeeeeee!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2005, 09:34:38 AM »
from a more personal perspective...

you will probably find when you actually start practicing that you have more consideration for the support staff in your firm and will know that most of the "behind the scenes" work is done by secretaries and paralegals.

the only way I really think it helps is avoiding the "deer in the headlights" or "how does a fax machine work" scenario at your first summer job.

kloud9nupe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2005, 02:18:40 PM »
I'm starting law school this fall at Howard. I was a paralegal for about 1 1/2 years at a trade ass'n. All of the attorneys agree that I will a step ahead of students who have no type of legal experience.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2005, 10:39:15 AM »
Paralegals RULE! ;D

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2005, 05:12:13 PM »
Paralegals RULE! ;D

I'm a notary, too.  Notaries RULE!   ;D
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2005, 05:30:31 PM »
Me too!

I think we should form a club called the "Notorial Ruling Paralegals Attending Law School"