Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Paralegals Taking the Leap?  (Read 3955 times)

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
Re: Any Paralegals Taking the Leap?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2005, 04:33:04 PM »
omg :( that makes me so sad...but happy that there are people like you!  We got my cat in 1989 for free because she was the runt of the litter..not "show" quality...all the same to me  :)
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

Schmett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2005, 04:35:18 PM »
I'm making the jump, I've been a paralegal for the past 3 years, had my paralegal certificate for the past year. I think my experience will be helpful, as I have a strong sense of the basics.

Juris Debt- you might want to look into doing temp work as a paralegal.  I know my firm prefers people who can make a two-year committment, but when we have really big things going on like huge doc reviews we hire temps for like 5-6 months.  

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2005, 04:37:03 PM »
things around my work aren't exactly stable right now....

I'll definitely check into that temping thing...I mean a long term temp assignment isn't so bad.  Gives you time to find another one. 

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 11:39:55 PM »
I am a paralegal/office manager. 

Kinda funny: We are hiring for an entry level BK paralegal right now and I can't find anyone.  (Salary is entry level, which may be the problem...also that those with literally NO experience/specific paralegal education think that they can walk in and do the job.  It's not easy, but has been great for me.  I function as basically a firm manager (I was there when the owner started the firm), so my job rocks.

I also think that we have a leg up when we actually graduate from school....we already know how to work the fax machine.  (Believe it or not, many lawyers right out of school have no clue!)

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 08:17:56 AM »
thank god I know :) hire me!  jj...I have 5 years upper level administrative type experience.  I know MS Office and I think most of my friends who graduated don't even know what a pivot table is!

good luck!

aryels

• "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 08:41:30 AM »
I made that decision for Law School at approximately the middle of freshman year. I have sent umpteen resumes and received a few requests for interviews as a law office paralegal, only to discover that most of the area's law offices are not employing paralegals.

I have accepted a position at a different type of establishment.

Considering the area's employment and economic situation, I feel very very fortunate that I have a job.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

twarga

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2005, 10:02:30 AM »
thank god I know :) hire me!  jj...I have 5 years upper level administrative type experience.  I know MS Office and I think most of my friends who graduated don't even know what a pivot table is!

good luck!

What the heck is a pivot table?  Maybe I just don't know it by that name.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2005, 04:54:55 PM »
ohh probably a different name...we use them in excel to calculate expenses...sum by all different criteria and put the table on another sheet to keep it simple for the people reading it...don't think i'm explaining it very well  :-\

checkingin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2005, 08:02:29 PM »
Absolutely, it is why I went into the field!  We definitely have an advantage!  Who can stand making such little money (in comparison) for doing essentially the same work?1  I am in-house, so the lawyer-paralegal line gets blurred much more often than in a firm (I think).  Rather than a "leap" I look at it as the next logical step.  I cannot wait!  Doing it part-time at my first choice!

Best of luck to you all!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2005, 03:29:07 PM »
Anyone in Milwaukee need a job? 

Seriously!