Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Paralegals Taking the Leap?  (Read 3793 times)

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
Re: Any Paralegals Taking the Leap?
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 12:44:44 PM »
possibly :(
btw, i love your name

they want a certified paralegal in most places, that was my understanding..
I figured I could get legal secretary position since I can do admin things in my sleep...but so far....nothing  :(

then my current job gave me a raise...so i gave up
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 12:48:19 PM »
I forget if it was "best places to work wit ha law degree" or how to get into top law schools" but I remember reading that one of the biggest things you can do to help you succeed is to befriend all the people in your firm, form the mail clerk to the senior partners. All to often lawyers treat those "lower" then them as inferior and often suffer as a result. The firm can run without a particular associate, but not without the hard work from all the support staff. I remember a story about a conflict between an associate and a senior secretary. Basically it came down to one or the other, guess who the partners choose. Plus they are the people who can help you out when you screw up or inform you of important goings on.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 01:04:31 PM »
yea, we support staff is what keeps the ball rolling.... :D dont f* with us!

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 01:06:32 PM »
It may be difficult or impossible to get a job as a paralegal until August.  There is alot of specialized training for those jobs and firms will not be able to recoup their investment in training after only 8 months. 

Better Soluton-- enroll in a paralegal certification course or ask a law firm if you can work for free -- how can they turn that down?

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 01:12:55 PM »
Continue send out resumes.  Try to land a job wherever, check tutition on paralegal cert courses.  you can probably go a night, not sure if you could complete it by Aug though.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 01:16:29 PM »
I need $$$ though :(

me too...and i'm in UG still....

twarga

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 02:08:17 PM »
possibly :(
they want a certified paralegal in most places, that was my understanding..

I'm a certified paralegal with 9 years of experience and I'm having trouble finding a job.  Nobody's hiring right now.  So I'm doing a bunch of active duty time at my reserve base to make ends meet until August. 

gemesq

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2005, 03:55:21 PM »
I agree with F05HOPEFUL.  I am responsible for hiring at my firm, and I can honestly say that it depends on what the law firm is looking for.  For instance, we recently hired a secretary for me, but she is a law student and we only needed someone for 25-30 hours per week, so she was perfect.  You should keep sending resumes out, because you never know what the firm is looking for.  I agree that sometimes it may be a disadvantage being a potential law student, because the firm knows you will not stick around very long, but you might just fit the bill too.

JURISDEBT- yes, secretaries and support staff usually know more about civ pro than you will as a first year attorney.  That is why it is a good idea to keep trying to get a job in a law firm.  For instance, when I start as a new attorney I will have been working for my firm for 7 years!!  The attorney I work for has already told me he will be sending me out on depositions and court appearances right from the start.  Most first year attorneys (especially in big firms) spend their first few years in the law library or drafting responses to discovery rather than taking depositions or attending hearings. That is something to think about when interviewing for your first job....a variety of experience with possibly less $$$, or more $$$ and potentially boring tasks.

Hey redsox1079, is that a black persian cat?  I have one too!
"Oh, I'm sorry, you must have been absent the day they taught law at law school..." Tom Cruise, A Few Good Men

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 04:11:33 PM »
yes!  that is my baby...she turns 16 in May.  Sweetest thing on earth!  Aren't they the best? 

:D

gemesq

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 04:24:29 PM »
I love my cat too! We got him from the Persian Cat Rescue.  He was abused by an animal shelter that got shut down.  He was kept in a cage for 6 months before he was rescued.  He is now extremely friendly, needy and spoiled! 
"Oh, I'm sorry, you must have been absent the day they taught law at law school..." Tom Cruise, A Few Good Men