Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Paralegals Taking the Leap?  (Read 3712 times)

twarga

Any Paralegals Taking the Leap?
« on: January 15, 2005, 06:50:32 PM »
I'm a paralegal (civilian and military reserivst) taking the leap to law school.  Anybody with me?  If so, what do you think your chances are of doing well?  I feel pretty good about it, since I'm comfortable with Lexis Nexis, research, writing, etc.

the REAL desi

Re: Any Paralegals Taking the Leap?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 06:54:40 PM »
I'm a paralegal (civilian and military reserivst) taking the leap to law school.  Anybody with me?  If so, what do you think your chances are of doing well?  I feel pretty good about it, since I'm comfortable with Lexis Nexis, research, writing, etc.

plenty of my classmates were paralegals (mainly in NY and Boston) for a year or two before coming to law school.  you'll be in good company.  don't, however, let that lull you into a sense of security regarding your coursework.

twarga

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 07:11:41 PM »
No lulling here... I have to keep a 3.2 to keep my scholarship, so I'll be working my *ss off for the next few years. 

gemesq

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 04:56:19 PM »
I have been a paralegal for a few years and decided to "take the leap."  My firm is very supportive and I will be working while I am in school.  I know it will be hard, but I really do not want to lose the "real world" experience (and the help with classes) that I will get from continuing to work in the field.  I definitely feel like being in the legal field will give me an advantage.  If nothing else, at least I won't be looking up every word in my Black's Law Dictionary because I don't understand what the hell my professors are saying! 
"Oh, I'm sorry, you must have been absent the day they taught law at law school..." Tom Cruise, A Few Good Men

nekko

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 12:16:27 AM »
I'm making the leap. I don't really think much of what I know will help with law school although cite-checking shouldn't be much of a problem and simple things like that. I think the main benefit of being a paralegal pre-law school is once you leave law school and actually start your career. You'll have a better idea of how stuff gets filed and how things actually work and wont live or die by the quality of the practice guide in the law library at your firm.

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 12:20:01 AM »
While I am a traditional student, I have worked generally full time throughout college as a paralegal.  Seems to me that knowledge of jargon and WestLaw/Lexis-Nexis will be marginally helpful.  After all reading and interpreting case law and thinking on your feet will be the big portion of your ls success.

twarga

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 08:00:05 AM »
..and most of all, we won't be jerks to the paralegals and secretaries where we'll work after law school.   ;D

gemesq

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 12:20:26 PM »
I completely agree with you twarga.  I think having been a paralegal we can appreciate the work it takes to get things done.  I also think knowing how to practice law and learning the substantive law are two different things.  We will definitely be better equipped to actually practice law when we get out of law school, instead of most first year attorneys who have to be told what to do by their secretary!
"Oh, I'm sorry, you must have been absent the day they taught law at law school..." Tom Cruise, A Few Good Men

twarga

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 12:25:04 PM »
instead of most first year attorneys who have to be told what to do by their secretary!

Does that really happen?

Think about it.  The secretaries have been around awhile and know the inner workings of the office.  Law school does not teach you the day to day law firm procedures.  Your secretary will be your most valuable resource.  Trust me.  I spent a few years as a leagal secretary, and my attorneys loved me because I made them look good.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 12:30:43 PM »
no one will hire me...I wanted to be a legal secratary to get that inner working experience but I think my law school aspirations scare them off...that and they all want experience...I have five years experience in administrative/operational support reporting through VP level but no legal experience....damn it!  :)

that said...I will ALWAYS be nice to anyone in a support role...I know if I quit today this place would go down in flames w/o me and i'm happy most people treat me well here.

DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.