Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How big of a mistake was this?  (Read 1361 times)

dr_draino

Re: How big of a mistake was this?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 03:47:53 PM »
Good point.

Even if they keep it, though, they have the corrected version.

Wow - I never thought about that with emails.

Yeah I got a phone call from Franklin Pierce and the woman was like "I'm looking at your file, and we've got this email from you and were wondering...".  It kinda wigged me out.

Kait

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 03:56:40 PM »

Yeah I got a phone call from Franklin Pierce and the woman was like "I'm looking at your file, and we've got this email from you and were wondering...". It kinda wigged me out.

Yeah. I can just imagine the proof-reading on my next email to a school!

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 04:49:06 PM »
I did the same thing for my Michigan app and when I wrote them an email about it they just asked me to send another copy double-spaced.  I'm just afraid that it hurt my already poor chances.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 05:54:24 PM »
These schools are pretty tough on mistakes like this, the logic being that lawyers cannot afford to make careless mistakes.  In the future I recommend double and triple checking everything before you send it.  When I was doing my apps I bordered on obsessive/compulsive, I was looking over things 10+ times.
Going to Miami

twarga

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 06:01:35 PM »
...so then I guess the 13 minutes I spent on my U Penn application wasn't quite enough?   ::)  With all the common info already inserted, most of my apps only took 15 minutes or so.  I did spend a lot of time on my ps, essay, and resume, though.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 06:44:46 PM »
Yeah, I agree...you've got two issues at hand

1)  It is sort of a big mistake since the school asked for double
2)  3 pages single is an insanely long PS.

3) It's already mid-JANUARY

dr_draino

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 10:03:59 PM »
Actually, I don't think that's nearly as big an issue outside the T14 as people make it out to be...I don't think you're really getting into trouble unless you're not complete by end of Jan. for most low T1/T2 schools.

Yeah, I agree...you've got two issues at hand

1)  It is sort of a big mistake since the school asked for double
2)  3 pages single is an insanely long PS.

3) It's already mid-JANUARY

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 05:41:37 PM »
I hope they cut you some slack, but I can see them looking at your statement and saying:

A) Does not follow directions.

B) Has trouble getting to the point. (single spaced, there's no need for a PS to be exceed 2 pages, some schools limit it to 2 pages double spaced.)

I feel for you though, I spent a lot of time fretting over whether I made some small mistake, or missed a minor instruction somewhere. It's tough keeping all of the different versions straight when you're submitting to a bunch of schools.

At least you didn't say "I have always dreamed of going to [insert name of rival law school]." (apparently that happens a lot)

3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

eqqus

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2005, 04:40:41 PM »
I hope they cut you some slack, but I can see them looking at your statement and saying:

A) Does not follow directions.

B) Has trouble getting to the point. (single spaced, there's no need for a PS to be exceed 2 pages, some schools limit it to 2 pages double spaced.)

I feel for you though, I spent a lot of time fretting over whether I made some small mistake, or missed a minor instruction somewhere. It's tough keeping all of the different versions straight when you're submitting to a bunch of schools.

At least you didn't say "I have always dreamed of going to [insert name of rival law school]." (apparently that happens a lot)

LOL! I managed to get the names of each school straight!