Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 37423 times)

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2005, 10:11:21 AM »

My problem with the OP is that the reality is by acting on the basis of skin color, we're working against the development of working-class solidarity. This method of thinking impedes the development of class consciousness and impairs the capacities to act in solidarity with one another across color and culture. It encourages us to blame each other for our problems rather than to organize against the class and class system that exploits us.

This is hugely correct and I'm in total agreement.  I would hope that this is what we are all aiming for, it is just a little confusing as to how we should get there.  Very well written Blk.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2005, 11:45:39 AM »
I couldn't help but locate the blatant irony in your position.  Your name, which I assume to be short for "black reign" or something to that effect, seems to be suggesting a simple reversal of any discrimination or oppression that you've convinced yourself exists.  For you, it would be completely acceptable if the black/white roles (or at least the roles you have assigned them) to be switched.  Therefore, you would not be saying the same thing if black people did in fact "reign" (whatever that means).

Does this photo of Jerry Rice, Rich Gannon, and Tim Brown suggest that there should be a "simple reversal of discrimination or oppression" ?

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

VinnyMyCousin

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2005, 12:18:07 PM »
Thanks for proving my point. Affirmative action benefits all races. Stop trying to portray the white man as the victim. Because there are many scenarios were they are the beneficiaries of affirmative action.

I think I know why you fail to see the comparisons between race based affirmative action and these alternative forms of affirmative action. It is because these alternative scenarios expose a major flaw in your argument. I would ignore them as well if I were arguing your point.

Huh? The point is that your 3 examples have nothing to do with race (being a legacy or son/daughter of a donor would help you if you're black or white) and are therefore not race-discriminatory. AA, on the other hand, is systematic race-discrimination.

VinnyMyCousin

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2005, 12:21:06 PM »
Vinnymycousin: I posed the question "what is white culture?" to try to get a basic understanding from the OP what (s)he meant by the need to leave diverse institutions and cities  in search of a "white environment".The terms "black culture" and "white culture" are problematic because they presuppose that blacks (individually) and whites (individually) share common interests even though they are now more than ever divided by class interests that place individuals on opposing sides in the struggle to change the system that produces inequalities. Therefore creating a situation in which the realities of race no longer affect people the same way. The categories "black and white" do not signify homogeneous social,political, or economic interests. Conceptual formulations such as "black culture or white culture" are inadequate because they perpetuate the sociologically false notions that blacks and whites share similar conditions of labor, leisure, and life.

I agree.

My problem with the OP is that the reality is by acting on the basis of skin color, we're working against the development of working-class solidarity. This method of thinking impedes the development of class consciousness and impairs the capacities to act in solidarity with one another across color and culture. It encourages us to blame each other for our problems rather than to organize against the class and class system that exploits us.

LOL! Good ole' Marx.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2005, 01:18:19 PM »
Thanks for proving my point. Affirmative action benefits all races. Stop trying to portray the white man as the victim. Because there are many scenarios were they are the beneficiaries of affirmative action.

I think I know why you fail to see the comparisons between race based affirmative action and these alternative forms of affirmative action. It is because these alternative scenarios expose a major flaw in your argument. I would ignore them as well if I were arguing your point.

Huh? The point is that your 3 examples have nothing to do with race (being a legacy or son/daughter of a donor would help you if you're black or white) and are therefore not race-discriminatory. AA, on the other hand, is systematic race-discrimination.
Except they don't. Thanks to centuries of systematic and legal discrimination a black kid is much more likely to grow up poor, have to work to help support the family in HS, not have parents who went to college, and go to a low quality school. Therefore AA was created to help take that into account. The idea is that on average white kids have more advantages and therefore more opportunities to get good grades and SAT score, so we should take that into account when looking at applications.

That being said there is a good point to be made that black kids who grew up in privileged environments are benefiting while white kids who grew up in disadvantaged back grounds are not. I agree that that is not fair. Perhaps a better system would take a more holistic account and provide advantage to disadvantaged kids of all sorts. If your black and experienced discrimination where you lived, say rural Alabama that would be taken into account, but if you didn’t then it wouldn’t. Same if your white and grew up dirt poor in Appalachia that would be taken into account.

The fact of the matter is that numbers alone have not and should not be the only factor in admissions. Otherwise you providing advantage to those kids who could afford SAT tutors, private schools, and admissions consolers over kids who are as well qualified in terms of ability, but could not get a 4.0 because they had to support three siblings while living in a run down trailer with a heroin addicted mom all the while going to a school with leaky walls and one hell of a gang problem.

maricutie

« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2005, 01:53:41 PM »
Going back to the OP's first question, I don't understand why everyone is jumping on him/her. Granted, I haven't read all of the thread, so he or she may have said something ridiculously offensive that I missed ... but if he wants to live with all white people, what's wrong with that? Personally, I'd rather surround myself with people who are open to other people's experiences, opinions, personalities, etc, WHATEVER their race --- so if he (or she) is wanting to keep the same homogenity that he or she is used to, what's it to me? Ideally it'd be nice to take sheltered people and show them the rest of the world and its peoples, but it seems like the mind is already made up on this one.

But then again, maybe I'm missing something ...

WoeIsMe

« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2005, 01:56:12 PM »
yea, i missed it too.  the original poster said he/she grew up in a diverse area and was looking for a change..  permanent, or temporary, we have no clue.  personally, i'd like to try out Singapore or Germany... that doesn't make me anti-american.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2005, 03:16:49 PM »
I think we're all forgetting that the OP wants to live with white people- he doesn't want to get away from black people.  This is a slim difference but an important one.

If I have to choose between a hot dog and a pretzel, I'd choose a pretzel.  That doesn't mean I hate hot dogs.  Maybe later I'll try the hot dog.  Maybe I want to try something different for a change.  Maybe not.  It's my choice.

The OP could very well be acting out of personal preference, not racism.

In short, it's not racist to like both choices and yet just like one a little more.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

TLFKARG

« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2005, 03:22:02 PM »
I've always lived in diverse areas, and my campus in undergrad was very diverse.  I think I'd like a mostly white law school, and live in a part of the country that is very white.  I'm just more comfortable in that environment.  People of other backgrounds seek this out as well, so I don't apologize for wanting this.

I'm leaning towards (in no particular order):

1.  University of Kentucky.
2.  Quinnipiac (CT).
3.  University of Idaho.
4.  University of Maine.
5.  University of Montana.

Ole- Hey congrats to you and good luck on getting into a white rice law school. I feel you. I'm black and i ONLY want to go to a black law school. The LSAT thing I want to do is be around white people while I'm getting a legal education. It's not racist at all. I went to an HBCU (Historically Black College and University) for undergrad, and I would do the same for law school. I fully support your decision and I understand why you want to be around your own kind. It's natural and your choice.

Hey, I want to go to an HBCU Law school, and I want to put my money in a black bank, live in a black neighborhood, and marry a black woman. I'll have a few white friends like Ruskie over for the holidays but that's about it. It's totally natural for you to want to be with your own folk. ( you are white right? if not, then you are screwed in the head).

@#!* YT ;D

Whoa, you're taking some big steps there, HBCU!  Me over for dinner?!  I'd be honored, of course! ;D :-*

drew617

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2005, 04:38:42 PM »
I couldn't help but locate the blatant irony in your position.  Your name, which I assume to be short for "black reign" or something to that effect, seems to be suggesting a simple reversal of any discrimination or oppression that you've convinced yourself exists.  For you, it would be completely acceptable if the black/white roles (or at least the roles you have assigned them) to be switched.  Therefore, you would not be saying the same thing if black people did in fact "reign" (whatever that means).

Does this photo of Jerry Rice, Rich Gannon, and Tim Brown suggest that there should be a "simple reversal of discrimination or oppression" ?

Nope. Not at all, because I'll admit that black athletes are on the whole stronger, faster, and just plain more athletic than whites.  Of course there are exceptions.  That's why I don't whine about not having a proportional population of, say, Asians in the NFL.  That would just be ridiculous.  Some are just better suited for the job, i.e. football.  The same should apply in all other aspects of professionalism.