Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 37424 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2005, 01:52:55 AM »
giffy:it's cool, your arguments are definitely on point.

Vinnymycousin: I posed the question "what is white culture?" to try to get a basic understanding from the OP what (s)he meant by the need to leave diverse institutions and cities  in search of a "white environment".The terms "black culture" and "white culture" are problematic because they presuppose that blacks (individually) and whites (individually) share common interests even though they are now more than ever divided by class interests that place individuals on opposing sides in the struggle to change the system that produces inequalities. Therefore creating a situation in which the realities of race no longer affect people the same way. The categories "black and white" do not signify homogeneous social,political, or economic interests. Conceptual formulations such as "black culture or white culture" are inadequate because they perpetuate the sociologically false notions that blacks and whites share similar conditions of labor, leisure, and life.

My problem with the OP is that the reality is by acting on the basis of skin color, we're working against the development of working-class solidarity. This method of thinking impedes the development of class consciousness and impairs the capacities to act in solidarity with one another across color and culture. It encourages us to blame each other for our problems rather than to organize against the class and class system that exploits us.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

drew617

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2005, 03:06:14 AM »
I couldn't help but locate the blatant irony in your position.  Your name, which I assume to be short for "black reign" or something to that effect, seems to be suggesting a simple reversal of any discrimination or oppression that you've convinced yourself exists.  For you, it would be completely acceptable if the black/white roles (or at least the roles you have assigned them) to be switched.  Therefore, you would not be saying the same thing if black people did in fact "reign" (whatever that means).

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2005, 03:23:24 AM »
Hey, I've got an idea drew.  Why don't you take something -- let's say an LSN name -- and read way, way too much into it... In fact, if you wanted to, you could even infer a bunch of things that aren't there.  Yea, that sounds great.  Why don't you do that.

drew617

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2005, 03:31:31 AM »
Nah, that's cool.  I'll prolly just start a new name called "White_People_Are_Inherently_B etter_Than_Everyone_Else."  It's a good thing I can do this because, as you say, it would be reading between the lines to infer anything from it.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2005, 03:37:02 AM »
I double dare you to do that.  You'd sure show me.

drew617

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2005, 03:43:52 AM »
Yeah but do you triple dog dare me?

I think that's the real question we need to be asking ourselves.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2005, 04:03:26 AM »
I triple, double dog dare you (that actually makes it a five dog dare).  'Cause trust me, you'll pay a bigger price than my pride if you do. 

drew617

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2005, 04:06:33 AM »
You raise an interesting point.

How exactly does one pay another person's pride?

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2005, 04:10:19 AM »
Well, what I meant is that I'll be giving up pride (b/c you took me up on a five dog dare -- which is necessarily a big loss of pride for the five dog dare-er) but you'll be losing more than me in the end.

That's what I meant...

drew617

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2005, 04:15:12 AM »
Technically it's not a five dog dare because your first double dare did not consist of any dogs.  Also, if you tripled your previous double, that would make six and not five, three of which include dogs.  Just clearing this up so you can re-calculate the pride factor.

Anyway, I'm out for the night.