Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 38506 times)

the REAL desi

Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2005, 02:25:19 PM »
You're attacking her premise but not acknowledging her feelings... I don't think it's wrong that she realizes she'd be uncomfortable in a majority black enviroment... I also don't think it's wrong if she decides to go somewhere else because of it.

feelings are very irrelevant.  do you think that people's feelings about crime should be a factor when considering Penn?  what about the fact that new haven is a sh!thole?  or that Atlanta is considered #2 crime/ghetto in the country.  how can one grow intellectually and professionally if one doesn't push aside such bullsh!t (and yes, they are bullsh!t) feelings?  she will potentially have black clients, will have to go to black neighborhoods, and gasp, stop for gas at a gas station owned by indian people!

the fact of the matter is that law schools thrive on diversity (racial, sexual oritentation, background, etc).

by this reasoning, i should say that I don't want to go to law school with poor people, because i've never been around poor people my whole life, and I would feel uncomfortable around poor people.  on the contrary, i know that there are truly poor people at my law school who have amazing intellectual capabilities that have been offered a substantial education.  i applaud my law school for providing these people an opportunity they might not have otherwise had.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2005, 02:27:26 PM »
You're attacking her premise but not acknowledging her feelings... I don't think it's wrong that she realizes she'd be uncomfortable in a majority black enviroment... I also don't think it's wrong if she decides to go somewhere else because of it.

feelings are very irrelevant.  do you think that people's feelings about crime should be a factor when considering Penn?  what about the fact that new haven is a sh!thole?  or that Atlanta is considered #2 crime/ghetto in the country.  how can one grow intellectually and professionally if one doesn't push aside such bullsh!t (and yes, they are bullsh!t) feelings?  she will potentially have black clients, will have to go to black neighborhoods, and gasp, stop for gas at a gas station owned by indian people!

the fact of the matter is that law schools thrive on diversity (racial, sexual oritentation, background, etc).

by this reasoning, i should say that I don't want to go to law school with poor people, because i've never been around poor people my whole life, and I would feel uncomfortable around poor people.  on the contrary, i know that there are truly poor people at my law school who have amazing intellectual capabilities that have been offered a substantial education.  i applaud my law school for providing these people an opportunity they might not have otherwise had.

Feelings are very irrelevant? 

Are you a computer or just a well-trained Marine? ;)

I apologize for having feelings... I'll go sign up for the electro-shock therapy today.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

the REAL desi

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2005, 02:29:25 PM »
i'm a person that realizes that personal feelings about such bullsh!t issues should never be a factor in a decision like this.

additionally, aren't you from Arkansas?  i grew up in Oklahoma, so I can see how you'd sympathize with someone like this.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2005, 02:30:29 PM »
You just cannot read a Black poet writing in English and wearing European clothes and agree that his voice is distinctly African.  He has, as someone posted earlier, been white-washed.

What we've witness in black culture the last few centuries is nothing more than a rotting sideshow compared to the gleeming spectacle that was African culture in millenia past.

Wow.. that's all I've got to say.  Wow...  He actually just called African American culture a "rotting sideshow."  Wow.

superius

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2005, 02:31:36 PM »
Eva,

You selectively quoted my message and tried to make an issue out of something that doesn't exist.  I started by saying that I did not look at racial makeup of the schools I applied to (some may have large minority backgrounds, I do not know) and I really have no clue which schools have large numbers of black students in them.  Since I am applying largely to southern schools I am pretty sure I will be seeing black people around (probably lots even if it isn't in the school). 

I would also argue that your examples are not appropriate.  Getting gas for 5 minutes at a station owned by native americans is not even close to living as a minority for three years.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2005, 02:54:48 PM »
Yes Black people have a long history of culture in American History- but it is nothing more than a subset of a rich and varied American culture-

You just cannot read a Black poet writing in English and wearing European clothes and agree that his voice is distinctly African.  He has, as someone posted earlier, been white-washed.

What we've witness in black culture the last few centuries is nothing more than a rotting sideshow compared to the gleeming spectacle that was African culture in millenia past.

Exhibit A:  Lil' Kim

It some cases you could say almost the opposite. Look at music for instance. Most American music derives form music developed by Americans from African decent. You could also say that a good part of the heart and soul of Christianity today is in African American communities.  Hell European culture, like every other culture, is based heavily on the culture of its neighbors and those it came in contact with

You could also say the same thing, albeit a bit more indirectly about other American cultures. Southern culture for instance would have been damn near impossible without the abundance of slave labor.

As for the poet example, his voice is not Africa, you are right. It is instead the voice of a black man in America writing about his unique experiences. Same as a person of Irish decent writing a poem about life in America.

American culture is so hard to define because we are one of the few countries on earth that embraces multiculturalism and recognizes the hybridization of cultures. For instance I am an atheist who embraces Christian holidays, a white guy who enjoys black comedy, and an American who loves Chinese food. I am no way unique in this regard and probably don't now a single person who would fit entirely into one cultural stereotype. However historically speaking this is rather unique. One of the freedoms we should have in America is to define our own culture, separate form our parents, our race, or our ethnicity. This is not to say that these things often correlate with culture, but I feel that our greatest strength is that we are not just one thing, but are instead an amalgamation of various cultures. 

hylas99

• Sr. Citizen
  • The gypsy woman is watching you now
    • View Profile
    • Urban Sun
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2005, 03:31:06 PM »
This is some of the best trolling I have ever encountered. Please..keep going!

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »
BYU.
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2005, 07:03:33 PM »
There is no such thing as a white culture. Every country that is considered white has more than one culture. There are many different cultures for different white people. Someone from Finland will have a very different culture than someone from Italy. Someone from Northern Finalnd will have a very different culture than someone from Southern Finland. People say that we whites are destroying the cultures of minorites. We are also destroying our own cultures. I am Finnish, and the only reason I know anything of my culture is that I study it. I should say that my ancestors are from Lapland in Finland. There is no way that I have been living in my culture my entire life as many people say.

Anyway, I would not like to go to an all white school. I am not comfortable with a lot of white people. I am from and area that is well balanced. I much prefer and equal mixing like I got where I am from. It was seriously almost 30% each for white, Hispanic, and Asian.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2005, 07:14:28 PM »
I reject the notion that only minorities provide the culture in majority-white societies. I'm tired of hearing such absolute nonsense.