Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 37814 times)

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2005, 01:44:02 PM »
I've always lived in diverse areas, and my campus in undergrad was very diverse.  I think I'd like a mostly white law school, and live in a part of the country that is very white.  I'm just more comfortable in that environment.  People of other backgrounds seek this out as well, so I don't apologize for wanting this.

I'm leaning towards (in no particular order):

1.  University of Kentucky.
2.  Quinnipiac (CT).
3.  University of Idaho.
4.  University of Maine.
5.  University of Montana.

Getting back to the original poster's question ...

Be careful, because there are many different types of white people. Some types of white people might not be as accepted in some schools, as other types. For example, if you're Jewish white, you might not be as welcome in the midwest, as you would be in the northeast. Similarly, if you're a southern white who speaks with an accent, you might want to stay out of the northeast. As another example, if you're very fat and so white that you'll never tan, you might want to stay out of UC San Diego.

So that the posters can better advise you on which school is best, can we ask what type of white person you are?
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

critic

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2005, 01:44:25 PM »

I am aware that AA is discussed in other threads but not this one.  No one was arguing about AA on this thread at all.  It is really not relevant to the discussion, as far as I can tell.  Critic, I also agree AA is a good thing.  A lot of people were screwed over by bad policies and it has had a multi-generational effect and a just society must work to balance the playing field. 

Affirmative action isn't just about bad policies from the past and multi-generational effects.
The point I was making, based on evidence from this thread, is that affirmative action is there to combat racism that takes place right now.
Relevent or not I brought it up because the evidence was right here. And clearly its a point that not everyone has as of yet understood.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2005, 01:48:23 PM »
Black culture consists of two things-

1. A hollowed-out version of European culture (Christianity, social customs, holidays, etc.)

2. And the noble and traditional customs of their ancestors, which 97% of American blacks are either ignorant about or choose to disdain.  Real African culture exists in Africa, not in America- at least not in any discernible degree.

"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

superius

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2005, 01:49:26 PM »
mobell,
well if i misunderstood your plantations comment I do appologze.  I am also admitting I had the white flight wrong, it was another poster and I was just reading along and not paying enough attention (it was directly under one of your posts so there is some feeble attempt at justifyign my mistake, lol).  Anyway, it would be awfully awkward to say that people "nurturedly" seek out those of their own culture.  I think that although naturally may not be the absolute, correct and literal term to use it can certainly be interpreted they way I meant it to be, especially with my addition of culture in the same sentance.  Now maybe some people think genetics determine culture and could misunderstand but they can't be helped.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2005, 01:51:45 PM »
LOL.. Now I'm racist?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2005, 01:52:59 PM »

? You obviously mostly work better with people you are comfortable around versus uncomfortable to be around.
LOL I didn't think I needed to point that out.

Actually, you do need to point out your unwarranted assumptions.  You are assuming that people work better when around those they are most comfortable with.  THis is your assumption, and your argument doesn't hold without this assumption.  You cannot, however, in any way substantiate this.  I would argue (from experience in working in groups with friends, where we got nothing done, just talked about girls) that your assumption is false. 

Regardless, I found it comical how you presumed to boil this 'whole AA thing' down into one statement, and thereby 'solve' it for us.  Thanks for the exhaustively researched, highly credible answer to that social problem.  What do you think we should do about social security and the middle east, while you're at it?

critic

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2005, 01:53:29 PM »

1. A hollowed-out version of European culture (Christianity, social customs, holidays, etc.)

2. And the noble and traditional customs of their ancestors, which 97% of American blacks are either ignorant about or choose to disdain.  Real African culture exists in Africa, not in America- at least not in any discernible degree.

you really sound like you know what you are talking about. lol.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2005, 01:55:16 PM »
I think that what exists in America is very distinctly an "American" culture, for lack of a better word.

Many different cultures mix together but do not entirely coalesce- the salad bowl theory.

This means, very simply, that although there are several different cultures, there are also very distinct pockets of said cultures.  For the OP, it makes complete sense to think that there are some law schools that share more of his culture than others.  I'm sure there's a law school that has more of a Jewish culture than others, and I wouldn't consider a Jew who chose to go there racist.

Likewise, I'm sure there's a strong Polish culture in parts of Michigan, strong Asian cultures in parts of New York, and strong Native American cultures in parts of Oklahoma.  

My point is, there is probably a law school that fits closest to the OP's culture.

If he is a WASP, sadly enough, it is probably most of them.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2005, 02:00:31 PM »

you really sound like you know what you are talking about. lol.

Do you really think that the white people successfully converted thousands of Native Americans and African-Americans to Christianity even while enslaving them for the love of God?  By removing their cultures and inserting their own they brainwashed them...

It would serve African-Americans well to go back to their roots, and once again figure out who they are... most of them still use the last names of their ancestral slaveowners...

I, personally, would rather die.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2005, 02:04:38 PM »
so we're all American, however we come in different shades. What makes my darker American skin different from your lighter American skin? What's so different about our American culture? And why is it more comfortable to be around lighter American skinned individuals?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...