Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 37851 times)

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2005, 01:32:43 PM »
change your name if you'd like...doesn't bother me any... Just shows how disconnected you are. My screenname isn't blk_reigns, blk_rules etc.. Instead of ASSuming there's a hidden message you should simply ask what it means. There's no need for me to be aggressive here. I simply asked a question that has yet to be answered. What is White culture?

I would say that "white" culture is no more diffuse or difficult to recognize than any other identifiable group.  Puerta Rico is inhabited by people with very diverse backgrounds?  Is there no Puerta Rican culture?  Cuba, ditto.  No Cuban culture?  Brazil, ditto.  No Brazilian culture?  Mexico, ditto.  No Mexican culture?

You cannot compare white to Mexican or Cuban or any of the above you mentioned. Those have clear ethnic and even geographic distinctions.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2005, 01:33:48 PM »
You can't be human and not have a culture.  If you don't have a culture, then that's your culture.  Fun, isn't it?

blk_reign's premise is absurd.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2005, 01:34:39 PM »
I just want to point out one thing:

The original poster on this board said that he wanted to go to a white school to be around white people. He also said, rightfully, that other white people felt the same way, and other white posters on this board agreed that they simply felt more comfortable around other white people.

Therefore, minority people are disadvantaged when applying for jobs in mostly white corporations (which, lets face it, are most law corporations) because white employers would prefer to hire a white applicant who they admittedly feel more comfortable around.

If minority applicants are thus disadvantaged in applying to jobs, we can all understand why there is a need for affirmative action in law school admissions to "level the playing field".

I am a huge proponent of AA, and am frankly thrilled that the white posters here admitted wholeheartedly to the main argument behind affirmative action.

Cool, go to your white schools. But you can't say you "don't get" affirmative action anymore.

Too bad you left out entirely the incentive of a law partner to maximize profits, ostensibly by hiring the best, most qualified candidates.  In my limited business experience, profit has been king, not 'likeability' or comfort.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2005, 01:35:57 PM »
change your name if you'd like...doesn't bother me any... Just shows how disconnected you are. My screenname isn't blk_reigns, blk_rules etc.. Instead of ASSuming there's a hidden message you should simply ask what it means. There's no need for me to be aggressive here. I simply asked a question that has yet to be answered. What is White culture?

I would say that "white" culture is no more diffuse or difficult to recognize than any other identifiable group.  Puerta Rico is inhabited by people with very diverse backgrounds?  Is there no Puerta Rican culture?  Cuba, ditto.  No Cuban culture?  Brazil, ditto.  No Brazilian culture?  Mexico, ditto.  No Mexican culture?

This is not an answer to her question; it just obscures it.  Most cultures have specific markers that are generally (although not universally) held.  What are these cultural markers for White people?

Let's start with something that is not generating so much heat, but might still help with this discussion.

What are the "markers" for Brazilian culture?  Mexican culture?  Cuban culture?  From that we can perhaps determine why or why not white people don't have a "culture."

How about not.. I asked a specific question about White culture. Explaining other cultures doesn't identify what White culture is; nor does it take away from what it isn't. I'm just waiting for a definition of what it is.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

critic

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2005, 01:36:27 PM »
I just want to point out one thing:

The original poster on this board said that he wanted to go to a white school to be around white people. He also said, rightfully, that other white people felt the same way, and other white posters on this board agreed that they simply felt more comfortable around other white people.

Therefore, minority people are disadvantaged when applying for jobs in mostly white corporations (which, lets face it, are most law corporations) because white employers would prefer to hire a white applicant who they admittedly feel more comfortable around.

If minority applicants are thus disadvantaged in applying to jobs, we can all understand why there is a need for affirmative action in law school admissions to "level the playing field".

I am a huge proponent of AA, and am frankly thrilled that the white posters here admitted wholeheartedly to the main argument behind affirmative action.

Cool, go to your white schools. But you can't say you "don't get" affirmative action anymore.

Too bad you left out entirely the incentive of a law partner to maximize profits, ostensibly by hiring the best, most qualified candidates.  In my limited business experience, profit has been king, not 'likeability' or comfort.

? You obviously mostly work better with people you are comfortable around versus uncomfortable to be around.
LOL I didn't think I needed to point that out.

superius

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2005, 01:38:39 PM »
blk_reign,

I am aware that AA is discussed in other threads but not this one.  No one was arguing about AA on this thread at all.  It is really not relevant to the discussion, as far as I can tell.  Critic, I also agree AA is a good thing.  A lot of people were screwed over by bad policies and it has had a multi-generational effect and a just society must work to balance the playing field.  Further if a white person can point to disadvantage in their background and demonstrate how it hurt them in UG/etc... in their PS then it will be taken into account just like URM status and the racist policies of north american governments, companies and universities have disadvantaged non-whites.  The people who cry about AA are often those that slacked through UG and have no disadvantage to blame it on (notice I didn't say everyone so if you don't fit this category save the flaming for another time) and thus have to attack others to make them feel good about their own failures.  Anyway.

Also back to blk_reign (i got sidetracked there) what is white culture?  To begin, as you must know, it is very difficult to say what is "white" or "black" culture for that matter.  Culture is not based on genetics.  A black male that is a 3rd generation new yorker is going to have a lot different culture than someone from Ghana.  I had 2 black roommates last year  with one from Ghana and one from Antigua.  They were both in only their second year away from their home countries and they had radically different cultures.  They didn't share a common culture so how could you say they come from a "black culture"?  Now that I have laid that out, back to your original question: what is white culture?  It really depends on where you are from.  The white people in Scotland have a very distinct culture.  We don't call what Scottish people do "white culture" yet they are for the most part white.  Same goes for places like France, Britain, Germany, etc...  We call it German culture, not white culture yet all these countries are fairly white.  Lets look to the United States and see the dress of whites in the USA is for the most part similar, as is the shared language.  In certain areas musical taste is common (ie country music or "southern" rock) and it seems to be shared largely by the white folks in the area.  In my own hometown the food we ate was fairly similar (if you remove crap like McDonalds and stuff like that and did a study on what people cook at home I bet you'd see some definate cultural/religious patterns in diet form).  There is no one monolithic white culture, the same as there is no monolithic black culture. 

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2005, 01:39:09 PM »
You can't be human and not have a culture.  If you don't have a culture, then that's your culture.  Fun, isn't it?

hmm still isn't a definitive response to the question ::)
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2005, 01:39:35 PM »
This is ridiculous.

Of course there's no "white culture" unless you want to argue that there are certain traits and customs that bind various Caucasian societies (certainly doable but I like the time and inclination)

But there's definitely...

Swedish culture...
British culture...
French culture...
German culture...
and so on and so on...

Now, one cannot effectively argue that since there are blacks in these cultures that then the culture is not "white", since one could make the same arguments for whites living among blacks in Africa.  If this is true, then no subset's culture exists anywhere.

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2005, 01:40:31 PM »

I would say that "white" culture is no more diffuse or difficult to recognize than any other identifiable group.  Puerta Rico is inhabited by people with very diverse backgrounds?  Is there no Puerta Rican culture?  Cuba, ditto.  No Cuban culture?  Brazil, ditto.  No Brazilian culture?  Mexico, ditto.  No Mexican culture?

You cannot compare white to Mexican or Cuban or any of the above you mentioned. Those have clear ethnic and even geographic distinctions.

Really?  Clear "ethnic" distinctions?  Are there other countries that go by the same names?  Is there another Brazil?  Another Puerta Rico?  Another Cuba?  Another Mexico?  They have "clear ethnic distinctions," and white people don't?

What country do white people come from? Can you be Mexican if you or your ancestors didn't originate from Mexico? What ethnicity are you if you are white? Comparing hispanic to white would have been closer.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2005, 01:43:29 PM »
You can't be human and not have a culture.  If you don't have a culture, then that's your culture.  Fun, isn't it?

hmm still isn't a definitive response to the question ::)

I think I definitively proved that all humans have culture... are you saying white people aren't human?

You're such a racist.