Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 37227 times)

the REAL desi

Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 12:37:40 PM »
have you thought of canadian schools?

superius

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 12:49:58 PM »
have you thought of canadian schools?

Some Canadian schools are pretty white I am sure, but U of T claims over 30% minority status.  Any of the big cities (Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto) are going to be really diverse.  Toronto supposedly is 44% immigrant population.  Vancouver is lots of Asians.  Montreal is mixed heavily but has a lot of Africans because of the French (all of Frances old african colonies speak french).  I'm from Halifax and although we have a pretty diverse population (second largest language group is Arabic, for example) it is nothing compared to the bigger cities.

As for me personally, I dont really look at the racial makeup of the schools that I am going to but I must admit I would be very uncomfortable arriving at a school that was 60% black or something like that simply because it isn't something I'd be used to.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 12:51:25 PM »
Keep flying.  Keep flying.  White flight is a female dog.  You are surrounded by Mexicans, the French, Africans, and Asians.  Give me some air.  I can breathe.  They are after me and I do not have the copability skills to live on this planet with people with different pigmentations.  Why did God curse me?  Let me go get the Original Gangstas - the KKK.  White Power.

Really, that was uncalled for.  What the OP wants is no different than what many others want, including many white people.

Many who want?  Sad state of affairs don't you think?  And we are all Americans.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

superius

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 12:56:32 PM »
What is it about white people that makes you more comfortable in that environment? (I am just curious and would ask the same question of anyone looking for a school of a particular ethnicity. But since white isn't really an ethnicity  ??? ...just wondering.)

What is it about all cultures that make them feel at home around people of their own culture?  Why do places have "Chinatowns" or whatever?  People naturally tend to group around people like them.  I have seen people ask about schools that are not to white and diverse and no one jumps down their throat about it, why is it different when white people ask about white schools? 

Why does it even matter to you that a white person may want to go to school in a white school?  Gawd, why can't people be free to pick the schools they want based on critera that they want?

LordofLight

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 12:58:48 PM »
Consider also the University of Oregon.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 12:58:56 PM »
If you go to Charleston School of Law in Charleston, SC, you can go not only to a white school, but one right near a bunch of plantations!  Wouldn't that be awesome?!

HTH

I almost spit out my juice HAHAHAHA....

I don't believe that it's uncalled for at all... It's unfortunate that so many people still have this view. Complaining about URM "taking their spots". Got news for you- if we got the spot we earned it, you didn't so there HA.

So Old Lefty since you've "grown up in diverse areas" have you reached the point where you feel that enough is enough?? Sometimes I wish we didn't have to be around people like you (with your mentality) myself, however I'm stuck so go figure. What makes you uncomfortable about being in an area or an institution with diversity? As long as you are White you will be around cultures.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

superius

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 01:00:23 PM »

Welcome to the life of many minorities every day. Except it's usually more like 85%.

Ya welcome to the life of minorities, which is one of the reasons I wouldn't want to be in that situation.  It can't be all that fun.  It has certainly made you a bitter and cynical person to live amongst people not of your culture/race/etc...

Also, blk_reign,

Who said anything about AA and people not getting spots they deserve?  Only you did...why?  I for one support AA but what does that have to do with the OP wanting to go to a white law school?

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 01:04:07 PM »
No one's bitter. We're simply stating fact. So what is white culture anyway?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 01:06:12 PM »
I've pondered this viewpoint myself.

I went to an elementary school in an inner city where I was one of TWELVE white students (no exaggeration- that was the total for all six grades).

I think it made me a better person.

But I've also come to conclude that it's not racist to want to live among certain people.  If I choose to live among people who are purple, that's my choice.

We all have personal freedom.

Racism, on the other hand, is where you wish to deter another's personal freedom through intimidation or physical violence.  If I want to live near white people and decide that the best way to do that is to scare off black people, that's racism.  But if I go online and do some research and decide that Montana is the whitest place around, there's nothing racist about packing my bags and buying a couple plane tickets.

In fact, it would be racist to make the person stay where they don't want to be- is this not slavery?

The decision to live among people who look and think like yourself might be ignorant, stupid, and lazy- but it's not racist.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 01:07:01 PM »

Welcome to the life of many minorities every day. Except it's usually more like 85%.

Ya welcome to the life of minorities, which is one of the reasons I wouldn't want to be in that situation.  It can't be all that fun.  It has certainly made you a bitter and cynical person to live amongst people not of your culture/race/etc...

Also, blk_reign,

Who said anything about AA and people not getting spots they deserve?  Only you did...why?  I for one support AA but what does that have to do with the OP wanting to go to a white law school?

Actually a LOT of people have said that on this board, not in this thread specifically but it is written all over lawschooldiscussion.org...