Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 38825 times)

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2006, 06:32:52 PM »
I have learned to deal with being the only one or one of five.  So much so that I went to a country music concert with a co-worker and was the only Af-Am out of 6000 and I felt comfortable.   :-\
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

cyberrev

« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2006, 07:20:29 PM »
I have learned to deal with being the only one or one of five.  So much so that I went to a country music concert with a co-worker and was the only Af-Am out of 6000 and I felt comfortable.   :-\

gah, i hate country music.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2006, 10:03:41 PM »
mivida2k: I love your avatar!!!
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

thorc954

« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2006, 09:59:17 PM »
I love country music.  Now, OP, I can sense what you mean with your question on this subject. I mean, no offense, but I would feel completely uncomfortable at Howard. Ive always been to mostly white schools throughout my life, yet the majority of my friends and many of these schools were the minorities. 

Now, I would like to go to a warm school with beautiful, intelligent, rich girls. Preferrably Asian or Italian that know how to cook.  Anyway, that may or may not be the case with the school I chose.

Now, the important thing to consider when making your decisions it the quality of education you will be recieving at the school you chose. As much crap as I am going to get for this, I think you should consider your scores and apply to schools ranked within that range by usnews( I know people hate it). Anyway, the education you get in grad school will determine your career.  Now, I applied to every school on the east coast that I thought I could get in and then numerous reaches. I applied to 20 in all. After you get into these schools, you can go look at the campuses. Still go with the higher ranked choice if at all possible.  Wherever you go you will have minorities in your school. The important thing to consider is that these minorities will be hard working, well to do, over achievers like the rest of your classmates. You will be surrounded by similiar people with similiar tastes. 

Just make sure the racial profile of your school isnt the reason behind chosing it. If you dont go to a good school, you will be working at a crappy job the rest of your life and will be living in a lower social class neighborhood which tends to be minority dominated.

thorc954

« Reply #294 on: July 07, 2006, 10:03:40 PM »
I went to a black meeting with one other white guy in LS (for the free pizza). It was really uncomfortable. I've been to the asian meetings several times and was [edited] comfortable. I have many asian & black friends, but I really wasn't expecting to be directly asked questions about the differences between whites & blacks. They wanted to know phrases that were unique to white culture. Neither of us could think of any but I suppose that was because we were on the spot when we'd planned to just observe.
I just couldn't believe that they'd ask us questions in front of ~30 blacks totally impromptu.

Anyway they are very much aware of racisim and I simply don't pay attention to it.

[/quote
By me, only white people say "Git er done" and "that aint no" and Im not even lying, they actually say that.

thorc954

« Reply #295 on: July 08, 2006, 09:09:41 AM »
By me, only white people say "Git er done" and "that aint no" and Im not even lying, they actually say that.

they only say that on tv

I live in VA, I swear to God my friends say that on a regular basis. I do occasionally as well, but then I catch m yself usually.  So umm... white people do say that.

thorc954

« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2006, 09:10:16 AM »
and my friends arent on tv

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2006, 04:37:49 PM »
my friends have my permission to shoot me dead if 'git 'er done' ever leaves my lips

:D :D  promise?   :D
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 08, 2006, 05:00:34 PM »
LOL. I have also heard "git 'er done" in normal conversation with White folks. :-\

thorc954

« Reply #299 on: July 08, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »
LOL. I have also heard "git 'er done" in normal conversation with White folks. :-\

lol, the sad thing is ive actually said it in normal conversation, yet im still going top 20 for law school... its convenient when your friend is going on a date or something and you are wishing him good luck, lol. idk. i love the south...