Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 38823 times)

HBCU.EDU

Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2005, 09:22:20 PM »
This thread was his second post. yeah, this is obviously a troll thread. didn't want to use his/her real account.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2005, 09:29:20 PM »
Who cares if this was started by a troll?  There were some really awful things said by people who weren't the OP on this thread.  That's inexcusable.  It doesn't matter how it started.  Some of you should be absolutely ashamed.

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2005, 09:37:08 PM »
There is no such thing as a white culture. Every country that is considered white has more than one culture. There are many different cultures for different white people. Someone from Finland will have a very different culture than someone from Italy. Someone from Northern Finalnd will have a very different culture than someone from Southern Finland. People say that we whites are destroying the cultures of minorites. We are also destroying our own cultures. I am Finnish, and the only reason I know anything of my culture is that I study it. I should say that my ancestors are from Lapland in Finland. There is no way that I have been living in my culture my entire life as many people say.

Anyway, I would not like to go to an all white school. I am not comfortable with a lot of white people. I am from and area that is well balanced. I much prefer and equal mixing like I got where I am from. It was seriously almost 30% each for white, Hispanic, and Asian.

There is also no such thing as black culture, or Asian culture or any other culture defined by race. You may though have cultures within a country that are predominantly represented by certain racial groups. African-American cultural in the US for example

I never said that there is a black culture or an Asian culture. I hope you weren't implying that that is what I believe. Technically, you can't even say that there is an American culture. There are many different cultures in the country. SHould you talk to anybody who knows anything on the subject will tell you so.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2005, 09:51:34 PM »
There is no such thing as a white culture. Every country that is considered white has more than one culture. There are many different cultures for different white people. Someone from Finland will have a very different culture than someone from Italy. Someone from Northern Finalnd will have a very different culture than someone from Southern Finland. People say that we whites are destroying the cultures of minorites. We are also destroying our own cultures. I am Finnish, and the only reason I know anything of my culture is that I study it. I should say that my ancestors are from Lapland in Finland. There is no way that I have been living in my culture my entire life as many people say.

Anyway, I would not like to go to an all white school. I am not comfortable with a lot of white people. I am from and area that is well balanced. I much prefer and equal mixing like I got where I am from. It was seriously almost 30% each for white, Hispanic, and Asian.

There is also no such thing as black culture, or Asian culture or any other culture defined by race. You may though have cultures within a country that are predominantly represented by certain racial groups. African-American cultural in the US for example

I never said that there is a black culture or an Asian culture. I hope you weren't implying that that is what I believe. Technically, you can't even say that there is an American culture. There are many different cultures in the country. SHould you talk to anybody who knows anything on the subject will tell you so.

Just making a point, I never meant to imply that you said anything like that.  :)

As for American culture, I would not say that there is complete agreement on that. some say there is others say there isn't. Part of it hinges on what you mean by culture and what amount of practitioners you need to establish a uniform culture. For instance almost all Americans embrace democracy and democratic principles. They tend to place value on the individual and on individual choice/action/expression. We also have sporting and athletic events that are distinctly American as well as certain forms of music. WE also produce television shows and movies that could easily be considered cultural artifacts. We speak a common language(s) and we celebrate the same holidays. Now none of these things are embraced by 100% of the people 100% of the time, but I still say it makes a culture.

I also think we tend to romantizes other cultures and past cultures by imposing ideas of cultural homogeneity on them, when in fact those that did not agree with the dominate culture did exist although they may have been suppressed. The thing with American culture though, is that it tends not to be as demanding of conformity as other cultures are and have been and is often quite willing to adopt other cultural practices as their own. For example cinco de Mayo, St. Patrick’s day, etc.. American culture also seems to have a high degree of self awareness with regard to change and embraces that change often over the objection of a vocal minority or majority. Recent debates over bilingualism, secularization of xmas, and multicultural education being examples of this.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2005, 10:11:23 PM »
We live in a pluralist society. That means multiple competing interst groups at work all of which have their own agenda. White people are one of those interest groups, they just refuse to acknowledge it.

While minority interest groups argue unapologetically for their own interests, whites will de-emphasize theirs or even deny that such an interest exists.

Eventually, they will have to realize that they must be cognizant of their own welfare and their place in American society. Their overall percentage of the population is declining continuously, and as a result we will continue to lose our place in society. If we do not become more aware of our own inherent interest, we will fade off into oblivion.

strouse

« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2005, 10:12:52 PM »
We live in a pluralist society. That means multiple competing interst groups at work all of which have their own agenda. White people are one of those interest groups, they just refuse to acknowledge it.

While minority interest groups argue unapologetically for their own interests, whites will de-emphasize theirs or even deny that such an interest exists.

Eventually, they will have to realize that they must be cognizant of their own welfare and their place in American society. Their overall percentage of the population is declining continuously, and as a result we will continue to lose our place in society. If we do not become more aware of our own inherent interest, we will fade off into oblivion.

Pat Buchanan's death of the West?  Dude, you have to know you're gonna get crushed for this.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2005, 10:15:22 PM »
I suggest you read my original post on this thread if you'd like to know why it's different altogether to have a black college and a white college.  Also, historically black colleges and universities don't discriminate against white people -- white people just traditionally haven't wanted to go to them.  North Carolina Central Law actually gives some affirmative action to white students, believe it or not.  The bottom line is that the reason historically black colleges exist is because most colleges didn't allow black people at all.  When Thurgood Marshall (first black supreme court justice in case you don't know) went to Howard Law, the University of Maryland Law School didn't allow black students.  Learn your history folks.

Here's my original post:  

This post hits many of us on a gut level -- we fell there is something quite insensitive about it, but none of us has pinpointed why yet.  I'll try.

To me there's a big, glaring difference with what the OP said about wanting to live with white people, and with what people might commonly say about living with a diverse population.  Why?

B/c of the language of exlusion.  If you say you want to live with lots of types of people, you obviously aren't saying you specifically want to avoid anybody.  If a person says they want to live with different types of people, they aren't saying they want to live in an area that's as black as they can find.  On the other hand, what the OP said is very exclusionary.  What he said, that he wants to live in the whitest area he can find (his whole question was that of wanting a list of the most white schools) he necessarily is saying that he wants the non-white population to be non-existant or as small as possible.  As I see it, this is exclusionary language.

And in my opinion racism doesn't require "intimidation or physical violence," as a previous poster said.  Let me ask this previous poster whether they are a racial minority -- just seems odd that white people should be defining racism in terms that constrict it -- you seem to be defining it to suit your needs.

No, racism is about a majority culture excluding a minority culture b/c of the minority culture's race.  That's all -- that's all it takes.  It is one thing for a group of people in a minority people to gather together for mutual protection and identiy.  It is another thing for a group in the minority to gather together -- because it's not about mutual protection (they don't need it) and it's not about identity (for the culture is largely based on what the majority decides it wants it to be).  When a group of people in the majority bands together without people in the minority, it is not about the same things as if it were the other way around.  It is about exclusion -- and finding ways to exclude, not protection -- and finding ways to protect.

It can be a tough thing to understand -- but try your best to take on the perspective of somebody who doesn't have the same cultural protections that white people, by and large, do.  

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2005, 10:20:16 PM »
Pat Buchanan?

Why is it that when people like me who are conservative on racial matters, finally start making reasoned arguments that we then get associated with negative, disreputable figures?

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2005, 10:24:18 PM »

Perhaps you would care to elaborate on how the interests of other racial groups are contrary to the interests of white Americans. Off the top of my head I can't think of any especially given that whites are overrepresented in just about every field of power or prestige.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2005, 10:28:33 PM »
Why is it automatically written off as a troll thread? It may be deemed racist or whatever, but it raises an interesting issue. Is it racist to want to go to Howard Univ. b/c one knows it's a mostly black college?

No it is not racist to attend a Howard or another HBCU. Maybe you should learn a little history before you make a comment like that. The HBCUS were not started to promote self-segregation. These schools were started from necessity because of white segregation and because blacks were not allowed to attend the mainstream universities. So blacks decided that they had to educate themselves.

read up a little on this issue:

http://www.pbs.org/itvs/fromswastikatojimcrow/blackcolleges.html