Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 36715 times)

SleepyGuyYawn

Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2005, 07:16:07 PM »
I think it's true that there are midwestern cultures and western cultures -- different aspects of people that are shaped by ties that bind them in certain ways.  But the reason we don't usually think of "white" culture, per se, is because it's just not something that seperates us from a majority -- and that is what tends to bind people together.

This is a reason there's such a thing as a Jewish culture, gay culture, black culture, but not really a white culture.

And let's remember that there really is an "American" culture, to which we all belong to some degree -- black, white, gay, straight, muslim, buddhist, or christian, Americans fit into a culture that is quite seperate from that of most people in the world.

Whether the OP was a troll or not, I was astounded by a few of the really racist posts by the way.  In the light of those posts, I'm not sure it matters who started the thread.

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2005, 07:28:13 PM »
I've always lived in diverse areas, and my campus in undergrad was very diverse.  I think I'd like a mostly white law school, and live in a part of the country that is very white.  I'm just more comfortable in that environment.  People of other backgrounds seek this out as well, so I don't apologize for wanting this.

I'm leaning towards (in no particular order):

1.  University of Kentucky.
2.  Quinnipiac (CT).
3.  University of Idaho.
4.  University of Maine.
5.  University of Montana.

Good for you. I hope you find your white school.

I don't understand why everyone is getting all riled up about this. It is obvious that this poster is trying to ruffle a few feathers. A smack in the face of the black law students thread that has been going on for months now. I hope you find your white school and your white law firm.

But just be warned, this is not your ticket away from schools with affirmative action programs. Because nearly all of your choices would give preference to minorities if they decided to apply to those schools in large numbers. Do you want to know why? For the very fact that they are predominately white areas/schools.

Well, good luck in your white search! If you need any help just ask.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »
Maybe he's not trying piss people off. Maybe its genuinely how he feels. Ever think of that?

This affirmative action stuff and all the stuff relating to minorities is constantly thrust in our faces without solicitation. Ever law school forum has all these sections with "Black in the law", "Latinos in the law". It can easily get a bit excessive at times, so I don't blame this guy for feeling the way he does.

the REAL desi

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2005, 07:36:38 PM »
at orientation, you will quickly realize that there is no need for a forum on "pasties in the law"

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2005, 07:43:03 PM »
I've always lived in diverse areas, and my campus in undergrad was very diverse.  I think I'd like a mostly white law school, and live in a part of the country that is very white.  I'm just more comfortable in that environment.  People of other backgrounds seek this out as well, so I don't apologize for wanting this.

I'm leaning towards (in no particular order):

1.  University of Kentucky.
2.  Quinnipiac (CT).
3.  University of Idaho.
4.  University of Maine.
5.  University of Montana.

Ole- Hey congrats to you and good luck on getting into a white rice law school. I feel you. I'm black and i ONLY want to go to a black law school. The LSAT thing I want to do is be around white people while I'm getting a legal education. It's not racist at all. I went to an HBCU (Historically Black College and University) for undergrad, and I would do the same for law school. I fully support your decision and I understand why you want to be around your own kind. It's natural and your choice.

Hey, I want to go to an HBCU Law school, and I want to put my money in a black bank, live in a black neighborhood, and marry a black woman. I'll have a few white friends like Ruskie over for the holidays but that's about it. It's totally natural for you to want to be with your own folk. ( you are white right? if not, then you are screwed in the head).

@#!* YT ;D

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2005, 07:47:14 PM »
Maybe he's not trying piss people off. Maybe its genuinely how he feels. Ever think of that?

This affirmative action stuff and all the stuff relating to minorities is constantly thrust in our faces without solicitation. Ever law school forum has all these sections with "Black in the law", "Latinos in the law". It can easily get a bit excessive at times, so I don't blame this guy for feeling the way he does.

Oh yeah I totally agree. This is how he feels. But no I disagree, with your other argument. He is definitely trying to piss people off. Who cares what racial school you want to attend. it is America. Do what you like. Go to a strong undergraduate program. Get a high GPA and LSAT and be on your way to your white school. But this post doesn't go anywhere. It is like an empty statement. It is like me saying that my favorite color is green. So what.. And? What is your point? This is America and you can like whatever you want.

His post is designed to ruffle feathers and this doesn't work on me. If the black and Latino threads bother you then maybe you should not click on the link and read it. These threads are started for the purpose that these groups are minorities  in predominately white schools and it is just for bonding purposes and to make each other feel comfortable. It is not designed to make white people feel jealous. Maybe you should start a white law students thread if you feel so left out. Hey it is America-a free country. Do what you like!

NYBound05

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2005, 07:49:16 PM »
at orientation, you will quickly realize that there is no need for a forum on "pasties in the law"

:D

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2005, 07:52:16 PM »
I am HBCU.EDU. The ruler of all I survey on BLSD. All of you YTs are welcome to post on our board if you like by the way. The white law student discussion board failed and  white revival failed because you guys are lame  ;D

the REAL desi

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2005, 07:53:39 PM »
Ole:  let me help you out even more.

Go to http://www.nalpdirectory.com and see which firms hire at those law schools.  Make careful notes on which law firms seemingly forget to include diversity hiring data.  Also, make a really careful note of which firms DO include data on their partners and associates and do not list a single minority (and, to make it even better gay or lesbian) attorneys.

This will ensure your ultimate objective of whitedom.

HTH

shiveringjenny

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2005, 07:59:56 PM »

Take an Asian from ChinaTown and drop him into a Korean culture and I'm sure he'd be just fine...  they even look somewhat the same... I'm sure they'd do fine.

Haha. I'm posting mainly so that this will show up on my unread replies and secondarily to state that you, my friend, have trolling down to a science.