Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 37686 times)

drama gal

• Sr. Citizen
  • D-Jet
    • View Profile
Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2005, 01:50:59 AM »
The fact that this thread is still going makes me laugh raucously.

Sadly, It speaks volumes.
The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.

Sir James Matthew Barrie

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: December 13, 2005, 12:08:38 PM »
Speaks volumes to what? The fact that this is an issue people want to talk about?

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: December 13, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »
Speaks volumes to what? The fact that this is an issue people want to talk about?

I agree.  Granted, an largely white school may not be respresentative of the experience you will have as a lawyer, but how representative is a predominately black/asian, etc ls of future legal experience (esp. given the support to URMs in pursuing a legal education) and yet those are sougt out all the time and no one gets any trouble for it.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: December 14, 2005, 02:57:36 PM »
Exactly, HBCUs are alive and thriving.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2005, 07:01:01 PM »
I've also taken logic classes in math and i felt like they taught it just as well as Phil, although i do prefer the phil logic classes better, of course.

"Logical thinking" does not exactly equal "logic."  jsia

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2005, 08:46:44 AM »
it isn't an issue..it's simply ludicrous to believe that it is when the majority of all college universities are predominantly  white as it is...

lets not forget that HBCUs were created because white universities did not allow blacks to attend their colleges... nor did they believe that women should go to law school so the first 4 women to ever obtain their JD degrees (were white) obtained them from Howard University School of Law...

just because desegregation happened doesn't mean that HBCUs should be closed...what's even funnier to me about this is that people don't seem to complain about the majority black elementary, middle and high schools... i don't see any of you guys saying anything about those schools needing to close down so that impoverished minority children can have better education..

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #236 on: December 15, 2005, 09:05:47 AM »
speak to the people blk....

it isn't an issue..it's simply ludicrous to believe that it is when the majority of all college universities are predominantly  white as it is...

lets not forget that HBCUs were created because white universities did not allow blacks to attend their colleges... nor did they believe that women should go to law school so the first 4 women to ever obtain their JD degrees (were white) obtained them from Howard University School of Law...

just because desegregation happened doesn't mean that HBCUs should be closed...what's even funnier to me about this is that people don't seem to complain about the majority black elementary, middle and high schools... i don't see any of you guys saying anything about those schools needing to close down so that impoverished minority children can have better education..

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: December 15, 2005, 03:27:05 PM »
I definitely don't think HBCUs should be closed, far from it.  I have several friends at HBCUs all across the country.  I was just saying that I can understand why some people may seek out certain educational enviornments, using HBCUs as an example.

Also, FWIW, I just completed a huge paper on NCLB, so I am all about equal education (a subject too complex for this thread) and would be happy to see THOSE schools shut down if it meant a better education for disadvantaged children.

Mind you, this is all coming from someone who was not allowed to attend one of the top private schools in her hometown (and only affordable one) because it was only accesible to children of a certain race (which did not include white, native american, or black children) and instead went to one of those predominately minority, low-income public schools that as blkreign sugested, should be shut down. 

This is a complex issue and I think most of us were just trying to help someone out, as they would any ethnic group who sought a certain environment for LS. I know, coming from a white kid,  it seems like this thread is extemely wrong, but as someone who has experienced extreme racism and violence as a member of a minority group I think that we should all try and approach the issue with an open-mind and not jump on people for things that may seem very basic at face value, but may actually be more complex than we imagined.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: December 15, 2005, 11:38:31 PM »
I've also taken logic classes in math and i felt like they taught it just as well as Phil, although i do prefer the phil logic classes better, of course.

"Logical thinking" does not exactly equal "logic."  jsia

When did I eve say that it does? I happen to enjoy logic very much.

Also, your pic is disturbing, you should really get rid of that, disgusting thing that it is.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: December 15, 2005, 11:39:47 PM »

Because there is no point in making that argument, where would those kids go t oschool if theirs closed down, no where.