Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area  (Read 37529 times)

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What I Want Is A Mostly White Law School In A Mostly White Area
« Reply #220 on: December 10, 2005, 05:44:38 PM »
Jesse Jackson, he is a racist and people believe him to be intelligent.... ;D

misery

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2005, 04:51:56 PM »

I'll not answer your other comments (because my previous comment to which you replied seems to have been lost to futility), but would like to point out that ALL racists are indeed stupid. I define intelligence, of course, as being able (among many other things) to silence emotional or cultural (non-logical) influence to see good arguments and facts shine through. This would include being hit (as if by a train) by the fact (call it an argument, if you need persuasion) that racism is wrong.

Funny, making blanket generalizations (all [insert group of people here] are stupid), as well as defining intelligence often garners one the title of racist.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2005, 05:31:12 PM »
Not sure if anyone said this (too many posts to sort through), but Roger Williams would be a good safety.  I spent some time up there and OMG so many white people.  Coming from HI (where, though I am also NA I was considered white) I didn't realize that many white people existed in one place.

FWIW, I can see someone's need to stay w/i your ethnic group (w/o making any comment on whether or not that's the healiest way to approach something).  I have several black friends who went to majority black undergads cause that's were they were more comfortable/wanted to experience being in the majority and pretty much all the Asian kids at my school stayed in Hawaii/CA for ug at schools with low numbers of non-Asians (UH is something like 70% Asian/Pacific Islander) b/c they didn't want to be the "minority" at a school. 

It was an interesting experience for me to go from being one of 3 white kids in a school to picking the undergrad I did that was like 70-80% white.  Given that I've had that experience, it didn't really influence my law school choice, but given the number of AA friends I have who sought out historically black ls's, etc.  I think it makes sens cme white students may want to do that same thing.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

LawBoundLoser

• AOL Instant Messenger - TheOmidFactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2005, 01:51:53 AM »
Funny, making blanket generalizations (all [insert group of people here] are stupid), as well as defining intelligence often garners one the title of racist.

Are all blanket generalizations wrong? I think some uses of generalizations are wrong, like racism. Because they extend over inherently non-generalizable entities (unique humans). But some generalizations are absolutely necessary. Like, e.g., all rape is wrong. All child abusers are wrong. All triangles are shapes. QED. Would you even listen to someone who would deny these generalizations? Logic is a tricky thing. Might look into the non-LSAT stuff for more help.

And, by the way, how does defining intelligence garner one the title of racist? Hm. You commit yourself to saying that IQ-test designers are your average Klan member. How does that even make sense?!

By the way, logical thinking is best taught in philosophy departments. Not LSAT prep courses.
Legal: Temple
Paralegal: Texas
Illegal: Georgetown, GWU

"We believe in nothing, Lebowski"

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2005, 10:28:26 AM »
anyone have information about which law schools are the most jewish?
case '09

shabnam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 12, 2005, 10:34:18 AM »
This thread is really depressing....

Paragon of Prestige

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 12, 2005, 11:09:48 AM »
anyone have information about which law schools are the most jewish?

Yeshiva-Cardozo has to be up there in terms of Jewishness.

misery

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: December 12, 2005, 03:49:22 PM »
Are all blanket generalizations wrong? I think some uses of generalizations are wrong, like racism. Because they extend over inherently non-generalizable entities (unique humans). But some generalizations are absolutely necessary. Like, e.g., all rape is wrong. All child abusers are wrong. All triangles are shapes. QED. Would you even listen to someone who would deny these generalizations? Logic is a tricky thing. Might look into the non-LSAT stuff for more help.

You'll notice I specified a specfic type of blanket generalization - relating groups of people to a certain characteristic.  I think it's pretty hard to say ALL of a type of people are a certain characteristic.  While I will say that yes, most racists are stupid, there are definitely some intelligent ones.  Take a look outside of America.

And, by the way, how does defining intelligence garner one the title of racist? Hm. You commit yourself to saying that IQ-test designers are your average Klan member. How does that even make sense?!
Why don't you go around arguing that intelligence is defined by standardized testing... no doubt someone will take offense to that and call you racist.  Whether I believe it or not, I don't really know, I'm just pointing out that a lot of arguments considered racist by this board start out in the same way as yours.

By the way, logical thinking is best taught in philosophy departments. Not LSAT prep courses.

I haven't taken either.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2005, 11:58:07 PM »
I've also taken logic classes in math and i felt like they taught it just as well as Phil, although i do prefer the phil logic classes better, of course.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 13, 2005, 01:47:31 AM »
The fact that this thread is still going makes me laugh raucously.